Rookie Numbers

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't mind the idea of retired numbers, but it should be extremely rare and only meet certain qualifications, one of which can include the death of the said player.  The only one that didn't make any sense, to me, is Cris Carter. 

In a sport with 53 man rosters (more when you add the practice squad), and only 99 available numbers, retiring numbers just doesn’t make sense.

The ring of honor, or even a statue, make far more sense. Especially when the retired numbers are seemingly random. Why are Page’s and Marshall’s numbers retired, but not Eller’s? Why is Tinglehoff’s number retired, but not Yary? Why was Krause’s number never retired?

I realize that the answer is that it was a way to honor great players who hadn’t been inducted into the Hall of Fame, but retiring a number and having a ring of honor seems very redundant. 

And what’s the point of keeping past numbers retired when the team has all but said that they won’t retire anymore numbers? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

In a sport with 53 man rosters (more when you add the practice squad), and only 99 available numbers, retiring numbers just doesn’t make sense.

The ring of honor, or even a statue, make far more sense. Especially when the retired numbers are seemingly random. Why are Page’s and Marshall’s numbers retired, but not Eller’s? Why is Tinglehoff’s number retired, but not Yary? Why was Krause’s number never retired?

I realize that the answer is that it was a way to honor great players who hadn’t been inducted into the Hall of Fame, but retiring a number and having a ring of honor seems very redundant. 

And what’s the point of keeping past numbers retired when the team has all but said that they won’t retire anymore numbers? 

I do actually like the retiring of 77 for Korey Stringer.  

Perhaps they should almost have it like a title.  Like you earn a number for certain teams.  I know LSU gives 7 to a different player every year and its like an achievement. 

Like what if Jefferson came out and said he would like to change his number to 80 (which I don't think is retired?) And Carter had to give his blessing for it.  Or if Randle and Kevin Williams crowned a promising young player with 93.  It could make for some really cool team traditions/lineage.

The Ring of Honor is a great way to reward players for the great things they did as a Viking. Based on the ex players that have had numbers retired we would also need to retire 93, 84, 28, 56, 69 and probably 22 once Smith is done.

Leave 77 retired to honor Stringers family but all of the other numbers should be unretired.

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Confirmed

71 - Darrisaw
11 - Mond
51 - Davis
93 - Jones II
26 - Nwangwu
24 - Bynum
15 - Smith-Marsette
95 - Robinson
76 - Twyman

Wyatt Davis only has to beat out Ben Leber (for whatever reason, I don't remember a LG by the name of Jim Hough, even though I probably should) for the best guy to wear that number, while Kellen Mond has to compete with the likes of Joe Kapp, Wade Wilson and Daunte.  

6 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Alexander is probably waiting to see what happens to Gladney

Given the fact that the Vikings didn’t draft a cornerback, or have yet to sign any undrafted cornerbacks, I think it’s safe to guess that Gladney is going to be on the roster. 

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Given the fact that the Vikings didn’t draft a cornerback, or have yet to sign any undrafted cornerbacks, I think it’s safe to guess that Gladney is going to be on the roster. 

Plus, there's no reason to think he won't be at this time, because legal proceedings take time.  Mackensie waiting around for a number would be like waiting around for hell to freeze over.  

45 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Plus, there's no reason to think he won't be at this time, because legal proceedings take time.  Mackensie waiting around for a number would be like waiting around for hell to freeze over.  

I think a decision to release Mike Hughes will come before a decision on Gladney.  Maybe Mac is waiting for Hughes number to become available.