Steelers Draft Grades

J_DUB724

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

the new jarvis has arrived?  Harsh already,  but thankfully a later pick, but possibly still a wasted pick:/

If it was just the pick itself, I doubt peoppe would be as mad.

Its the fact that we used that pick AND traded a future 4th for a guy who we likely couldve gotten with our late 6th rounder.

28 minutes ago, 43M said:

If it was just the pick itself, I doubt peoppe would be as mad.

Its the fact that we used that pick AND traded a future 4th for a guy who we likely couldve gotten with our late 6th rounder.

ok, not quite jarvis since the pick was lower, but probably every bit as usefuless 👏

6 hours ago, 3rivers said:

the new jarvis has arrived?  Harsh already,  but thankfully a later pick, but possibly still a wasted pick:/

There are plenty of examples where I was completely wrong I guess it's not like training of future 4th rd pick to take this guy

11 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

There are plenty of examples where I was completely wrong I guess it's not like training of future 4th rd pick to take this guy

the draft appears to address needs in most places. Still would like them to sign Houston or maybe Kerrigan, depth at OLB and leadership. CB  Heyward is gone :(

Something I thought of that has made me feel a little better about the Loudermilk pick, maybe it'll help you too. 

So we've seen countless times about college schemes and coaches have misused players or forced them to fit their scheme. Maybe that's the case with him. His athletic numbers weren't great, but his tape definitely showed some flashes. He was asked to just play patty cake most of the time, very 2 gap, very much 20 years ago Steelers defense. Occasionally he would just rag doll an OG and blow up plays. He has the ability, we just need him to work and put him in a position to succeed. Obviously he might still bust and be out of the league in 2 years. But, maybe not. It's all a crapshoot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Something I thought of that has made me feel a little better about the Loudermilk pick, maybe it'll help you too. 

So we've seen countless times about college schemes and coaches have misused players or forced them to fit their scheme. Maybe that's the case with him. His athletic numbers weren't great, but his tape definitely showed some flashes. He was asked to just play patty cake most of the time, very 2 gap, very much 20 years ago Steelers defense. Occasionally he would just rag doll an OG and blow up plays. He has the ability, we just need him to work and put him in a position to succeed. Obviously he might still bust and be out of the league in 2 years. But, maybe not. It's all a crapshoot. 

There is something to this, and I have heard some things in the post Jarvis world they do still value production, but they also have looked for traits.  I think that's a spot that they like Loudermilk with.  His stats aren't eyepopping but he is a good traits guy that shows up on film.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 9:06 AM, warfelg said:

He's exactly like two LB's already on the team in Spillane and Vince Williams, just slightly more athletic. I really don't get it unless they see him being a special teams ace, then at that point he's a waste of a pick this early.

People keep saying this, but the Steelers drafted him to coach him up. He has the tools to cover and they're banking on the ability to bring that out. They'll also need a replacement for Williams sooner than later.

I don't think you can coach instincts into an ILB, which is what Johnson seems to be lacking. But I don't think the team views him as just some two down run stopper.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CKSteeler said:

People keep saying this, but the Steelers drafted him to coach him up. He has the tools to cover and they're banking on the ability to bring that out. They'll also need a replacement for Williams sooner than later.

I don't think you can coach instincts into an ILB, which is what Johnson seems to be lacking. But I don't think the team views him as just some two down run stopper.

But according to you Tomlin sucks as a coach and can't get anyone to do anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

But according to you Tomlin sucks as a coach and can't get anyone to do anything.

Tomlin wouldn't be coaching him. Positional coaches with an actual track record of success, unlike Mike Tomlin with, say, DB's, would be doing that job.