The Draft Class

onejayhawk

One thing you have to realize is that Creed Humphrey was on the 2018 OL that won the Joe Moore award, for best OL in the country. All five members of the line have now been drafted in the first four rounds of their respective years. Even though he was just a sophomore, many considered Humphrey the best player on the line.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25569578/oklahoma-offensive-line-honored-best-joe-moore-award

Edited by onejayhawk

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

That's my mistake. I had everyone's information pulled up when I wrote that. Powell will turn 24 this season, not Humphrey.

Fortunately, without a lot of the wear and tear associated with that age. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 2:42 PM, onejayhawk said:

He is very good at getting separation, which is also Kelce's strength as a receiver. 

I don't get the "just enough as a blocker" bit. He looks very good blocking on the move. Everyone is acknowledging that he is not a good hand on the ground blocker, but that does not mean he is not a good backfield blocker. Think of what Kelce would do when he lined up in the backfield. Line Gray up as a FB, split, H-back or in motion and he can handle the blocking assignments fine. That's what they mean by move-TE, a TE that is typically in motion rather than in line. it would not surprise me if we did not carry a tradition FB at all. 

One thing interesting about Gray is that he was the second priority on day #3. The first was Kaindoh. 

J

His blocking style is more “get in the way as much as possible” instead of Gronk brute force. He's not mowing guys down out there, but he's still doing his job. Which is fine, blocking is definitely more of an effort thing and at around 240 thats about all i ask for. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chiefer said:

His blocking style is more “get in the way as much as possible” instead of Gronk brute force. He's not mowing guys down out there, but he's still doing his job. Which is fine, blocking is definitely more of an effort thing and at around 240 thats about all i ask for. 

If you mean hand in the dirt blocking, I can agree with this. If you mean blocking in motion or from the backfield, then no. He's a good lead blocker and he should be good at picking up the blitz.

I suspect Gray will line up a lot of places--tight, split, slot, FB, H--and often go in motion from wherever that is. This will cause matchup problems for the coverage and put him in position for the running game blocks or to chip in pass pro. They did some of this with Kelce last year, so it's only expanding on a theme. 

Edited by onejayhawk

12 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

If you mean hand in the dirt blocking, I can agree with this. If you mean blocking in motion or from the backfield, then no. He's a good lead blocker and he should be good at picking up the blitz.

I suspect Gray will line up a lot of places--tight, split, slot, FB, H--and often go in motion from wherever that is. This will cause matchup problems for the coverage and put him in position for the running game blocks or to chip in pass pro. They did some of this with Kelce last year, so it's only expanding on a theme. 

I don’t see what i said was any different than what you said

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

I don’t see what i said was any different than what you said

You said he's doing his job, not doing a good job and you implied the contrary, but OK under the circumstances. He does a good job for everything except hand in the dirt, in-line blocking. So, they won't ask that of him. We have Blake Bell to do that. 

J

GFW had us at #12.

This Class In One Sentence:
Almost madness for a team with no first-round pick and only six selections to have a draft class this good. 

If you add Orlando Brown as a third, second-round pick, it's an easy top 10.

J

I am a bit infamous around the forum as the guy who thinks we need another TE. This year we drafted one, albeit a nontraditional one, Noah Gray. Here is an article on how he fits with what the Chiefs are doing. 
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/5/12/22430917/chiefs-rookie-breakdown-noah-gray

At Duke, Gray was not used as a traditional Y-tight end. During the 2020 season, he was primarily featured off the line of scrimmage as an H-back — a hybrid role that has characteristics of both a fullback and a tight end — or as a true slot receiver. He also had snaps as an isolated receiver on the outside of the formation. ... If he hadn’t been able to fulfill the blocking responsibilities that come with being a fullback, it wouldn’t have made sense for Duke to have Gray line up in the backfield. They trusted him as a lead blocker on traditional inside handoffs, to cut off backside defenders on split zone runs — and occasionally, to seal the edge on pass plays. 

“What makes him attractive is that, and I’m not saying he’s — obviously Travis (Kelce) is a potential Hall of Fame guy — but he can run some of those routes, he can do some of those things that Travis does as a receiver, split out while also giving you some flexibility in terms of being able to line up in the backfield, do some fullback responsibilities.”
Mike Bradway

Gray should not be lumped with Keizer, Blake and Bayliss, but he might get thrown in with FB Michael Burton. Last season, Kelce played a significant number of plays from the backfield, particularly after Sherman was injured. When you add the slot and the H positions, he brings a lot of flexibility.

On 5/11/2021 at 1:10 PM, onejayhawk said:

GFW had us at #12.

This Class In One Sentence:
Almost madness for a team with no first-round pick and only six selections to have a draft class this good. 

If you add Orlando Brown as a third, second-round pick, it's an easy top 10.

J

Had Denver as 4th though, which I can't agree with. Not anywhere near.