2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

13 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I used to think A Rodgers was the BEST. Now, I'm sure hoping he doesn't end up here . He's gotten freaky or always was and I've seen make some bad choices . Throwing to guys in double coverage with others running wide open .. don't need more of that .

He needs a haircut! 😂 

My concern with Willis is whether he can read defenses, and can he learn to do it. Other than that he checks a lot of boxes.

I have only watched highlight clips of him, but it all looks like one read and either throw or take off running. So, I have reservations. Fortunately, I do feel we can trust Ron and Scott on flushing that stuff out, unlike some drafts in the past.

Pickett's hand size worries me. My hands are far from large, and they are 9 1/2, and Pickett's are an inch smaller. I remember trying to throw an overinflated football one time and having to completely change my motion to keep the ball in control, and it wasn't pretty. I worry something similar will happen when the large NFL balls are in Pickett's small hand.

Corral seems like the safest pick with higher upside, while Howell is safest pick with a lower ceiling. I think the comp to Carr for ceiling is about right.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, MacDog said:

My concern with Willis is whether he can read defenses, and can he learn to do it. Other than that he checks a lot of boxes.

I have only watched highlight clips of him, but it all looks like one read and either throw or take off running. So, I have reservations. Fortunately, I do feel we can trust Ron and Scott on flushing that stuff out, unlike some drafts in the past.

Pickett's hand size worries me. My hands are far from large, and they are 9 1/2, and Pickett's are an inch smaller. I remember trying to throw an overinflated football one time and having to completely change my motion to keep the ball in control, and it wasn't pretty. I worry something similar will happen when the large NFL balls are in Pickett's small hand.

Corral seems like the safest pick with higher upside, while Howell is safest pick with a lower ceiling. I think the comp to Carr for ceiling is about right.

Welcome, and thanks for the thoughtful post. Look forward to hearing more from you over the course of this most critical offseason. 

I think we’ll have some answers on Kenny Pickett’s hands before late April arrives. At the Senior Bowl, they’ll be doing some measurements and I expect more reference to the size of the ball they’re using than in all the previous years combined. I doubt he’ll throw at the combine, but I expect there will be some specific demonstration built into his Pro Day workout to try to test his grip. I don’t think he’s a good enough prospect to leave that issue a mystery, so if he runs and hides from opportunities to address the “NFL ball grip” question, we’ll probably have our answer. 

Gun to my head, I’ve currently got Pickett at QB1, then Willis/Corral/Howell in a deadlock at QB2-QB4 (although with the same gun to my head, I’d probably say the order I just listed them in), Strong at QB5, and Ridder at QB6. But I’ve never been this uncertain or unconvinced of the order, except maybe the Mayfield/Darnold/Allen/Rosen/Lamar year. There were a couple years (2011 and 2013 spring to mind) where I didn’t like anyone at all — I’m wondering if that’s where this one will end up. 

More than anything, the question I keep coming back to is whether we’d be taking one of these guys because we really believe he’s the future…or if it’s just because we have to add someone, and he’s the best of a lot of uninspiring options. As much as I want a QB, doing that with Haskins set us back a ways, and I’d really prefer not to force it so flagrantly again. 

• Like 1

@e16bball

Thank you for the supportive and welcoming post, and the follow-up conversation/discussion points!

Gives me a good feeling about this forum.

Yes, the hand size issue with Pickett has got to be resolved either at senior bowl or combine. I would not drat him without actually seeing how it effect his throwing. If, and it is a BIG if imo, he does pass that test I would probably agree with you and rank him a clear cut #1. I have Corral as #2, but if Willis can read defenses, I could easily move him up. 

I think you take one because you both need one and believe he has a decent chance to be the guy. We can't keep playing around and passing on Herbert or not moving up for Josh Allen etc. unless they can rule any of these 4 guys out as to possibly being the guy, then they unequivocally need to take one.

Ridder scares me tbh, and Strong unfortunately has no wheels and Ron and Scott both made that a top priority for their QB.

Everything else I agree with you on completely without need for any clarification.

I look forward to reading more from you and Monk, and anyone else with info on this topic!

Edited by MacDog
  • Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 2:49 PM, RSkinGM said:

I used to think A Rodgers was the BEST. Now, I'm sure hoping he doesn't end up here . He's gotten freaky or always was and I've seen make some bad choices . Throwing to guys in double coverage with others running wide open .. don't need more of that .

You can't honestly tell me you wouldn't take Rodgers in Washington IF he even wanted to come here, which he never would. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

You can't honestly tell me you wouldn't take Rodgers in Washington IF he even wanted to come here, which he never would. 

I guess I would ' better than anything we've had but I really wouldn't have high expectations . 

30 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

I would love Aaron, but even yesterday he talked about possibly retiring while on Pat Macafee's show. I don't know how you give up what it would take to get him when you have no idea if you can get 4 more years out of him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I guess I would ' better than anything we've had but I really wouldn't have high expectations . 

The expectations for Rodgers as a starter would be higher than any QB we could sign or trade for in the league short of Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes.

It is disappointing that he keeps losing in the NFC Divisional round or in the NFC Championship game, but we all know football is a team game. Their special teams was awful in the game and lost it for then. 

Yes, Rodgers  could’ve done more to win the game but he didn’t lose the game. He could’ve played better and spread the ball around more to Cobb, Lazard & Deguara but he didn’t, instead he tried to force passes to Adams when he was bracketed all game in coverage.

I think the young TE Deguara hurt himself w/ Rodgers’s trust when he dropped his for chance at catching a pass. I was shocked that Rodgers didn’t throw more to Lazard though bc Lazard has been solid for the Packers for years as a #2. Really weird game for Rodgers he had played open but didn’t go to them.

Regardless, he would give us the best chance to get a Super Bowl out of all the possibilities by far. I don’t think he comes here but if he was on our team last year for example we would’ve won the division & I think won a playoff game or more.

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, MacDog said:

I would love Aaron, but even yesterday he talked about possibly retiring while on Pat Macafee's show. I don't know how you give up what it would take to get him when you have no idea if you can get 4 more years out of him.

I agree with the part about how much we'd have to give up for you not to know how many years, but even 2 years of having Aaron Rodgers as our QB, I'd give up probably anything. Get us into the playoff's 2 times with even a slight chance of a potential Super Bowl and after that I really don't care. All I want is to be relevant at this point. I'm so tired of being average to below average it's sickening. 

I don't know what the protocol is for Mock drafts here, but Bucky Brook released his first one and he has us taking Matt Corral.

Not much of a writeup for it:

It's time for Ron Rivera to get his franchise quarterback. The Ole Miss standout is a prolific playmaker with some dual-threat capabilities.

I could definitely get behind that.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MacDog said:

I don't know what the protocol is for Mock drafts here, but Bucky Brook released his first one and he has us taking Matt Corral.

Not much of a writeup for it:

I could definitely get behind that.

You're usually good. Just post the link with it to source it. And don't copy and paste whole articles. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2022-nfl-mock-draft-1-0-kenny-pickett-matt-corral-only-qbs-selected