2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

New Kiper mock. 

▪️ He has us taking Kenny Pickett at 11. Says what we’re basically all thinking, it ain’t the dream scenario but he can play now and he was pretty awesome this year as a senior. Obligatory hand size reference. 

▪️ Willis goes to the Steelers at 20 and Corral goes to the Lions at 32. No other QBs selected. As time goes on, it continues to appear that the push up the board by the QBs may not be coming this year. 

▪️ The three top OTs, two top DEs, Hamilton, Lloyd, Sauce, London, and Linderbaum are off the board when we pick. Stingley is probably the top non-QB on the board at our pick in his mock. 

▪️ He mocks two trade-ups for WRs, London at 9 (Cleveland) and Wilson at 14 (New Orleans). Interesting to see, if only because we may be looking for ways to trade back and that’s an intriguing option if teams are really motivated to land any of these WRs. 

Stingley for me is not a sure thing with his Lisfranc Injury. Not going to participate at the Combine. He was phenomenal in his freshman year and due to injury never recaptured that play. Not that I think we’re going to select him but just commenting on a player who would be a question mark for me about a player positioned in the top 1/3 of the draft. Lisfranc issue could get very complicated. 
Lisfranc injuries include ligament strains and tears, as well as fractures and dislocations of bone (far right). The Lisfranc midfoot joint complex has very litle motion and is critical in stabilizing the arch for push off during walking (gait).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Stingley for me is not a sure thing with his Lisfranc Injury. Not going to participate at the Combine. He was phenomenal in his freshman year and due to injury never recaptured that play. Not that I think we’re going to select him but just commenting on a player who would be a question mark for me about a player positioned in the top 1/3 of the draft. Lisfranc issue could get very complicated. 
Lisfranc injuries include ligament strains and tears, as well as fractures and dislocations of bone (far right). The Lisfranc midfoot joint complex has very litle motion and is critical in stabilizing the arch for push off during walking (gait).

This is an excellent point, and it’s one that I’ve been kind of hinting around for a while when I’ve been saying I don’t get how Stingley is such a bulletproof prospect. 

The history of Lisfranc injuries is not great. Of all teams, we’ve actually probably had more success than just about anybody, as both Jonathan Allen and Morgan Moses had them before or during their rookie years with us. And other players (Julio Jones, Leveon Bell, Brian Westbrook, etc) have had the injury and it hasn’t significantly derailed them once they’ve gone through the normal recovery period. But others have basically had their careers ended by more severe injuries (Santonio Holmes, MJD) or have had to deal with it long-term (Ronnie Brown, Darren McFadden).

When a guy has a serious injury history before he comes into the league (“nagging leg injury” that kept him out of several games in 2020, then the multiple foot issues that cost him most of 2021), that’s a big “buyer beware.” Especially for this team. For various reasons, we really haven’t seen Stingley play at an elite level since 2019. That’s too big a concern for me. Some team (watch it be Dallas) will probably gamble, and they may well win big. I don’t think this team can take that risk, though. 

I don’t particularly want to draft a CB early anyway, as I think we need depth more than an instant starter. But even if I did, I think I’d be too scared to pull the trigger on Stingley. 

• Like 2

Don’t think we need a RT, which I think Penning is, because I like what I saw from Cosmi there this season. 

But this is pretty wild. This dude is powerful and absolutely vicious. He had his issues at the Senior Bowl matching elite speed and not being quite as polished with his technique as you’d probably like to see — but the thing I liked is that his personality (relentlessly brutal bully) still came through. It’s not just a situation where he’ll beat up on guys he’s clearly better then, he will take his shots at pretty much anybody. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

This is an excellent point, and it’s one that I’ve been kind of hinting around for a while when I’ve been saying I don’t get how Stingley is such a bulletproof prospect. 

The history of Lisfranc injuries is not great. Of all teams, we’ve actually probably had more success than just about anybody, as both Jonathan Allen and Morgan Moses had them before or during their rookie years with us. And other players (Julio Jones, Leveon Bell, Brian Westbrook, etc) have had the injury and it hasn’t significantly derailed them once they’ve gone through the normal recovery period. But others have basically had their careers ended by more severe injuries (Santonio Holmes, MJD) or have had to deal with it long-term (Ronnie Brown, Darren McFadden).

When a guy has a serious injury history before he comes into the league (“nagging leg injury” that kept him out of several games in 2020, then the multiple foot issues that cost him most of 2021), that’s a big “buyer beware.” Especially for this team. For various reasons, we really haven’t seen Stingley play at an elite level since 2019. That’s too big a concern for me. Some team (watch it be Dallas) will probably gamble, and they may well win big. I don’t think this team can take that risk, though. 

I don’t particularly want to draft a CB early anyway, as I think we need depth more than an instant starter. But even if I did, I think I’d be too scared to pull the trigger on Stingley. 

It’s not like this class doesn’t have studs without the injury concerns. Sauce is a stud along with Booth JR. McDuffie has my highest nickel CB grade I’ve ever given. And I really like Alonte Taylor from Tennessee a lot as well I’d just stay away from Stingley unless it’s the second round and you can’t beat that value because that’s a card I’d turn in.

4 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

It’s not like this class doesn’t have studs without the injury concerns. Sauce is a stud along with Booth JR. McDuffie has my highest nickel CB grade I’ve ever given. And I really like Alonte Taylor from Tennessee a lot as well I’d just stay away from Stingley unless it’s the second round and you can’t beat that value because that’s a card I’d turn in.

I keep hearing big talk about McDuffie, I’m going to have to watch him just to see what all the fuss is about. 

I can absolutely see Stingley dropping due to the medicals. Doesn’t he seem like exactly the kind of guy that Dallas will end up with? Everyone else will overthink it and talk themselves out of it (like I’ve done), and Dallas will do their usual simple, straightforward “hey, I watched that guy, he looked really good, let’s take him” thing where they end up with studs by just doing the obvious thing and not making it rocket science.

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I keep hearing big talk about McDuffie, I’m going to have to watch him just to see what all the fuss is about. 

I can absolutely see Stingley dropping due to the medicals. Doesn’t he seem like exactly the kind of guy that Dallas will end up with? Everyone else will overthink it and talk themselves out of it (like I’ve done), and Dallas will do their usual simple, straightforward “hey, I watched that guy, he looked really good, let’s take him” thing where they end up with studs by just doing the obvious thing and not making it rocket science.

I mean they’ve done that but most of the medical concern players their team DR was the one who did the surgery lol. Stingley has Baltimore written on him to me. But I do agree with Dallas just go out there and look for the Uber talented. When CD fell and they were going to take Diggs in the first. Then Diggs fell too then anyways. Diggs was a stud. Dallas seems to do a solid job of containing character. That could be a reason they can’t sustain success in the playoffs but they can surely accumulate talent.

BTW the McDuffie thing is both he and Gordon are top 60 I think in this class. Washington DB’s every other year end up high on my list back to Peters, Budda Baker and just every other class seems to have guys I really really like. Well coached. I def endorse checking out McDuffie I love his name and even more I love his game.

Edited by ripsean21

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

New Kiper mock. 

▪️ He has us taking Kenny Pickett at 11. Says what we’re basically all thinking, it ain’t the dream scenario but he can play now and he was pretty awesome this year as a senior. Obligatory hand size reference. 

▪️ Willis goes to the Steelers at 20 and Corral goes to the Lions at 32. No other QBs selected. As time goes on, it continues to appear that the push up the board by the QBs may not be coming this year. 

▪️ The three top OTs, two top DEs, Hamilton, Lloyd, Sauce, London, and Linderbaum are off the board when we pick. Stingley is probably the top non-QB on the board at our pick in his mock. 

▪️ He mocks two trade-ups for WRs, London at 9 (Cleveland) and Wilson at 14 (New Orleans). Interesting to see, if only because we may be looking for ways to trade back and that’s an intriguing option if teams are really motivated to land any of these WRs. 

Yet I had the chargers trading up with us for London in my last Mock and got ridiculed by some bc they said London wasn't gonna go that high........ and that he wasnt one of the top WRs........

2 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Yet I had the chargers trading up with us for London in my last Mock and got ridiculed by some bc they said London wasn't gonna go that high........ and that he wasnt one of the top WRs........

6’5” can run and has pluck it hands. Good blocker and just a great football energy on tape. He can def go high because guys like this only come along every few years where they have the size and skill set match the physical traits.