2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

I see talk now of them skipping this class and taking another defender like Nakobe Dean. I love Dean and think he’d be an awesome pick but again, what is this team going to do at QB? I still don’t understand how Rivera backed himself into a corner with this so badly? We’re going into year three and if they’re bad enough to end up with Bryce Young or CJ Stroud then there won’t be a year 4. How we chose to go into year 2 with Fitzpatrick instead of trading up for Fields or Jones is beyond me? Man this is frustrating. 

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I see talk now of them skipping this class and taking another defender like Nakobe Dean. I love Dean and think he’d be an awesome pick but again, what is this team going to do at QB? I still don’t understand how Rivera backed himself into a corner with this so badly? We’re going into year three and if they’re bad enough to end up with Bryce Young or CJ Stroud then there won’t be a year 4. How we chose to go into year 2 with Fitzpatrick instead of trading up for Fields or Jones is beyond me? Man this is frustrating. 

It is frustrating but if you take the QB position off the needs. Dean is probably the one player in this draft that could have the biggest collective impact on not just his position but a unit overall. Cole,Dean,Jamin is a pre ally fast athletic combo. I actually feel like watching Dean is like a young London. I think Dean is a true QB not the athletic marvel most fall I love with but truely just mentally ahead of most in the position.

I think with London, a lot is going to hinge on how he runs/works out. It’s not like running a 4.65 would be a total disqualifier for a guy with his size and play style, but he’s probably not a top 10 pick in a deep draft with that limited speed. 

If he runs a 4.50 or something like that? That’s when you’ll see the Mike Evans comps start to come out in earnest. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Don’t think we need a RT, which I think Penning is, because I like what I saw from Cosmi there this season. 

But this is pretty wild. This dude is powerful and absolutely vicious. He had his issues at the Senior Bowl matching elite speed and not being quite as polished with his technique as you’d probably like to see — but the thing I liked is that his personality (relentlessly brutal bully) still came through. It’s not just a situation where he’ll beat up on guys he’s clearly better then, he will take his shots at pretty much anybody. 

This is exactly the type of player you replace Brandon Scherff with, because that's exactly what Scherff was. A mauler, but not athletically gifted enough to play tackle. Move them inside and they are elite. (Well Scherff was very good at times)

If would be my preference this year to trade down from #11 to mid to low 20s and pick up a 2nd or 3rd and a late pick. We are in pretty good position to pass up the "do I want to reach for this player" talent and snag a QB or a position of need in the late 1st. 

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

If would be my preference this year to trade down from #11 to mid to low 20s and pick up a 2nd or 3rd and a late pick. We are in pretty good position to pass up the "do I want to reach for this player" talent and snag a QB or a position of need in the late 1st. 

“Steelers for Willis” remains our best bet for getting this done, I think. Would love to hear a little noise about New Orleans getting interested in Willis. 

The blueprint for the trade from 20 to 11 was laid out last year in the Fields trade, with NYG getting 2021 1st and 5th + 2022 1st and 4th. I don’t know that the league-wide demand for Willis will be as great, so maybe it’s less.

But the Steelers have already done a similar move back in 2019, when they went from 20 to 10 to get Devin Bush (gave up 2019 1st and 2nd + 2020 3rd), so they’re familiar with the territory and clearly willing to make such a move when the situation calls for it. 

If I could get Nakobe Dean or Treylon Burks at pick 20, that would be a very exciting move indeed. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

“Steelers for Willis” remains our best bet for getting this done, I think. Would love to hear a little noise about New Orleans getting interested in Willis. 

The blueprint for the trade from 20 to 11 was laid out last year in the Fields trade, with NYG getting 2021 1st and 5th + 2022 1st and 4th. I don’t know that the league-wide demand for Willis will be as great, so maybe it’s less.

But the Steelers have already done a similar move back in 2019, when they went from 20 to 10 to get Devin Bush (gave up 2019 1st and 2nd + 2020 3rd), so they’re familiar with the territory and clearly willing to make such a move when the situation calls for it. 

If I could get Nakobe Dean or Treylon Burks at pick 20, that would be a very exciting move indeed. 

An additional first the following year would be amazing. I'm less optimistic that gets done, but definitely something we should he exploring. The one thing we cant do is reach for a position of need again. Jamin Davis may turn out to be a good pro, but he was a bad 1st round pick last year. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

It’s becoming more clear with each passing day that they’re going to go for Trubisky, and the insiders seem pretty sure that they’d then look to the later rounds for a QB instead of going for one in the 1st (unless perhaps Pickett is still there). 

I read where someone compared the “leaks” on Trubisky to the leaks on the Commanders name. Where they are basically trying to get the info out there early and often (though “unconfirmed”) to get people used to the idea and less likely to riot when it comes to fruition. It definitely does feel like that, it seems like they’re pushing that tidbit to pretty much everybody so that it becomes something approaching common knowledge long before the official announcement happens.

It’s hard to imagine a less effective way to address the QB position than to invest in a retread prior loser veteran and a 2nd day pick rookie. You might as well just light your money and your draft pick on fire. Maybe the draftniks are right and they’ll luck into a big fall from Corral or Howell, but…taking a big fall in the first place is always an awfully bad sign for your future potential. 

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

It’s becoming more clear with each passing day that they’re going to go for Trubisky, and the insiders seem pretty sure that they’d then look to the later rounds for a QB instead of going for one in the 1st (unless perhaps Pickett is still there). 

I read where someone compared the “leaks” on Trubisky to the leaks on the Commanders name. Where they are basically trying to get the info out there early and often (though “unconfirmed”) to get people used to the idea and less likely to riot when it comes to fruition. It definitely does feel like that, it seems like they’re pushing that tidbit to pretty much everybody so that it becomes something approaching common knowledge long before the official announcement happens.

It’s hard to imagine a less effective way to address the QB position than to invest in a retread prior loser veteran and a 2nd day pick rookie. You might as well just light your money and your draft pick on fire. Maybe the draftniks are right and they’ll luck into a big fall from Corral or Howell, but…taking a big fall in the first place is always an awfully bad sign for your future potential. 

I was just coming here to ask you about the fact Mitch actually just fits what Turner wants too well that the story has written itself out. I actually don’t hate the idea as the talent is there and Nagy is a bad coach. That said I just don’t trust Mitch. I do think their thinking is if they take a few shots that maybe just one hits. But if you bring in Mitch your not going to add much in FA without overpaying. This said I like Mitch a lot more then the whole Fitz thing they tried last season. Id expect Mitch here quickly as well just like we did with Fitz.

Also just wanted to put here that I think Breece Hall, or James Cook or Jerome Ford are def the RB’s that could really be a dynamic addition to pair with AG. I prefer hall and Ford the most as their size and catching ability along with contact balance vision and power just really would be a lot for teams to defend.

11 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I was just coming here to ask you about the fact Mitch actually just fits what Turner wants too well that the story has written itself out. I actually don’t hate the idea as the talent is there and Nagy is a bad coach. That said I just don’t trust Mitch. I do think their thinking is if they take a few shots that maybe just one hits. But if you bring in Mitch your not going to add much in FA without overpaying. This said I like Mitch a lot more then the whole Fitz thing they tried last season. Id expect Mitch here quickly as well just like we did with Fitz.

I was about as big a Trubisky fan as there was when he was coming out. He just hasn’t developed and I’m not pinning that all on Nagy. A lot of times talent will trump coaching. This is basically them hoping something that rarely ever happens ends up happening here of all places.

My opinion is this. This regime is done for already unless a miracle happens. You simply cannot have your headcoach building the roster. It doesn’t work. it was cooked from the beginning when Rivera was effectively made GM. Waiting four years into your build to find a QB is unheard of. They’ll all be fired after this season if they choose to roll into this season with Trubisky. 

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I was about as big a Trubisky fan as there was when he was coming out. He just hasn’t developed and I’m not pinning that all on Nagy. A lot of times talent will trump coaching. This is basically them hoping something that rarely ever happens ends up happening here of all places.

My opinion is this. This regime is done for already unless a miracle happens. You simply cannot have your headcoach building the roster. It doesn’t work. it was cooked from the beginning when Rivera was effectively made GM. Waiting four years into your build to find a QB is unheard of. They’ll all be fired after this season if they choose to roll into this season with Trubisky. 

I don’t think Ron gets fired until this team is sold. I think Snyder has made his last coaching change if there’s one part of truth to anything said at the congress round table. But the fact Ron does have complete say is why I can see us getting Watson. Because he’s going to be okay selling the farm knowing if it doesn’t work out he won’t be here to care. If it does then he has a truely elite playmaker at the QB position. But I can completely see them going with Mitch. As you said you were the biggest Mitch guy Watson was the best QB to play when he was coming out. I do think it’s between these two unless they just completely strike out and draft one because they are forced

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I think Mitch has a good arm and good wheels. I think he is inaccurate at all levels, particularly further down the field. I think (but don’t know) that his mental capabilities are questionable, though that mostly is coming from information I’ve seen secondhand from other sources. 

From my perspective, I can understand the appeal, in the same way I could understand the Darnold appeal. It’s a guy with undeniable talent, who is available for relative pennies on the dollar. That’s appealing in some sense. Especially when you can come up with a narrative where he seems sorta like Ryan Tannehill — substituting Nagy for Gase, and adding in the narrative booster that he was in Buffalo, where they “fixed” Josh Allen’s accuracy problems. 

I just don’t think he’s that good. I would prefer Mariota, and I would probably prefer Jameis as well. If we had to do the reclamation project thing.

I like all the stuff the Buffalo people are saying about him, but I just feel like this happens every year, where a QB gets a ton of positive spin going and everyone thinks he’s reborn. There’s some story that makes sense and somebody buys in at a decent market price. And then it turns out he’s the same old guy. Carolina has bought the story on two of those guys in consecutive years — first it was Teddy, who was ready to break out after spending time learning from Brees/Payton, and then it was Darnold, who was still just 23 and ready to break out after getting away from Gase and finally having some weapons. 

And then they were exactly who they’d always shown us they are. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Also just wanted to put here that I think Breece Hall, or James Cook or Jerome Ford are def the RB’s that could really be a dynamic addition to pair with AG. I prefer hall and Ford the most as their size and catching ability along with contact balance vision and power just really would be a lot for teams to defend.

I’ve always been a Jerome Ford fan, I thought he made their offense go. 

• Like 1