2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

Willis, Howell or Strong is where I’m at at this point. That could change but those three I feel fit the bill. I think ultimately Carson Strong ends up being the first pick in the draft though. I believe we end up with Howell. That’s my best guess. I suspect Strong and Willis go one and two with us trading up for the third QB off the board. 

46 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I am just not on the Willis train yet.

Willis needs to grow in many of the same aspects as Lamar. But both are so deadly with there legs that they just change the game. He and Gib would be a heck of a backfield. Plus we have Terry and I think Cam Simms and Thomas and Duece are just good enough to make a impact with and grow as a passer with. That said I am watching his footwork and things tightly this year. So far he’s gotten better but we will see as the season progresses

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Willis, Howell or Strong is where I’m at at this point. That could change but those three I feel fit the bill. I think ultimately Carson Strong ends up being the first pick in the draft though. I believe we end up with Howell. That’s my best guess. I suspect Strong and Willis go one and two with us trading up for the third QB off the board. 

I can live w/ Sam Howell as our QB. I don’t think he’s got super star written on him or elite, but he reminds me of Baker Mayfield w/o being the arrogant/cocky you know what that Baker can be sometimes that totally rubs me the wrong way and makes me hate him.

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I am just not on the Willis train yet.

Same. I just don’t know that I can get in board with a Liberty QB becoming a good pro starting QB for the same reasons I thought AGG was overhyped and I didn’t trust him to become a good pro WR. It’s just Liberty! If these guys were really great prospects, they wouldn’t be playing at liberty.

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Same. I just don’t know that I can get in board with a Liberty QB becoming a good pro starting QB for the same reasons I thought AGG was overhyped and I didn’t trust him to become a good pro WR. It’s just Liberty! If these guys were really great prospects, they wouldn’t be playing at liberty.

Wait...I thought we weren't denigrating a talent based upon where they played ball.

If you're being intellectually consistent, and don't want people judging Ohio St. QBs just because of where they went and you want them to judge the player on his play, then you must do the same with Liberty's QB. 

As for bolded, where did Jerry Rice play? Darrell Green? Charles Haley? Guess they were scrubs, huh?

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Wait...I thought we weren't denigrating a talent based upon where they played ball.

If you're being intellectually consistent, and don't want people judging Ohio St. QBs just because of where they went and you want them to judge the player on his play, then you must do the same with Liberty's QB. 

As for bolded, where did Jerry Rice play? Darrell Green? Charles Haley? Guess they were scrubs, huh?

Sorry, it’s just the way I feel. When I watch a guy play QB and light up mostly below average defenses in college & does it mostly bc he’s athletic and not because he’s really got great form etc, I’m not sold.

I need to see more from them. Now, if they go to the Senior Bowl & look great there, then they’ll have my attention.

Edited by turtle28

On 9/14/2021 at 9:32 AM, MikeT14 said:

Let's find our guy.  

@SpawnOfWoz apparently found a ranking of the 30 QBs prior to Fitzpatrick that have started at least one game since Rypien last saw the field.

I managed to name 23 of them (should have gotten another 4 or so, but just sad brain farts).

This is very sad. Both from the concept that we can number starting QBs in three deciles, but also that I could remember most of them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Woz said:

Non-first round picks mean nothing for franchises.

Yeah I disagree if they’re a 2nd or 3rd round pick but it’s whatever, if that’s your opinion that’s fine.

Frankly, I would’ve been just as happy if Mond was our 1st round pick or Kyle Trask instead of Jamin Davis bc they both were really good and have  starting QB potential. 

And, we could’ve taken either of them instead of drafting Sam Cosmi in round 2 and kept Morgan Moses as our starting RT.

But hey, we had Fitz, Heinicke & Allen so Rivera thought we were set at QB!

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Edited by turtle28

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:
53 minutes ago, Woz said:

Non-first round picks mean nothing for franchises.

Yeah I disagree if they’re a 2nd or 3rd round pick but it’s whatever, if that’s your opinion that’s fine.

Not so much my opinion as watching what teams do when in position for a QB. If Devonta Smith wasn't available to Philadelphia, I suspect the Eagles would have considered QB even though they had drafted Jalen Hurts last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I wouldn't say "nothing", but I also agree they would throw them away in a heart beat for a 1st round QB if they wanted them. 

Depends on what the QB that was drafted after the first round shows them. Russell Wilson, Dak, Kirk Cousins, Nick Foles & others were kept and given chances to start by their teams right away or w/in a few years because of what the guys showed they could do.

If the team really believed in that guy they had drafted like say if that guy for us was Trask or Mond, then Rivera may not be thinking QB in round 1 next year but that would be asked off of what the QB they had drafted this year was showing them the off-season, preseason and practices.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Depends on what the QB that was drafted after the first round shows them. Russell Wilson, Dak, Kirk Cousins, Nick Foles & others were kept and given chances to start by their teams right away or w/in a few years because of what the guys showed they could do.

If the team really believed in that guy they had drafted like say if that guy for us was Trask or Mond, then Rivera may not be thinking QB in round 1 next year but that would be asked off of what the QB they had drafted this year was showing them the off-season, preseason and practices.

That's the point. If they believe in Mond, sure he might get a shot. If they don't, even if he was a second round pick, they will throw him away quickly.