2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

That's the point. If they believe in Mond, sure he might get a shot. If they don't, even if he was a second round pick, they will throw him away quickly. 

Well I realize that but Woz’s point seemed to be that it was definitely inevitable that if we had drafted a QB in round 2 or 3 that it was more or less a waste. I don’t agree with that because if that QB practiced/played well they may not see the need to take a QB in round 1 if they believe the QB they drafted a year or two earlier will be a starter for them that season.

29 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Alright. So what games are on everyone's watch list this weekend for QBs?

Cincinnati at Indiana, Noon on ESPN -

This is a huge game for Desmond Ridder bc that Indiana defense was one of the best in college football last year. So, if he has a good game vs them, that’s a good sign for him possibly sneaking into the top 10 if he plays well & puts good stuff on tape vs that defense & then has a consistent year the rest of the way.

Nebraska at Oklahoma, Noon on Fox - Really need Rattler to show me that he’s deserving of a top 5 pick vs better competition. He still has a lot to prove to me.

USC at Washington St. 3:30 on Fox -

Like Rattler, Kedon Slovis hasn’t really shown to me that he deserves to be a top 10 pick on next years draft. He didn’t play all that great vs Stanford last week and he wasn’t overly impressive vs San Jose State when he should’ve tore them apart.

Virginia at UNC, 7:30 pm on ACCN -

Sam Howell has to play as well as he did last week but do it vs an ACC opponent. Like Rattler, Howell is supposed to be a top 5 pick - at worst top 10 - and they both need to start playing up their potential if they want to get where they want to be selected next April. 

Tulane at Ole’ Miss, 8:00 pm on ESPN2 - 

Matt Corral has played so far like he deserves to be the 1st pick taken in the draft over Rattler & Howell. I’m very interested to see if he can continue to play as well as he has, especially after this game vs Tulane when he plays Alabama week 5 and moving forward the rest of the season in the SEC bc if he does, Ole’ Miss could be a College Football Playoff contender & Corral could hear his name called in the top 5 of the NFL draft. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Cincinnati at Indiana, Noon on ESPN -

This is a huge game for Desmond Ridder bc that Indiana defense was one of the best in college football last year. So, if he has a good game vs them, that’s a good sign for him possibly sneaking into the top 10 if he plays well & puts good stuff on tape vs that defense & then has a consistent year the rest of the way.

Nebraska at Oklahoma, Noon on Fox - Really need Rattler to show me that he’s deserving of a top 5 pick vs better competition. He still has a lot to prove to me.

USC at Washington St. 3:30 on Fox -

Like Rattler, Kedon Slovis hasn’t really shown to me that he deserves to be a top 10 pick on next years draft. He didn’t play all that great vs Stanford last week and he wasn’t overly impressive vs San Jose State when he should’ve tore them apart.

Virginia at UNC, 7:30 pm on ACCN -

Sam Howell has to play as well as he did last week but do it vs an ACC opponent. Like Rattler, Howell is supposed to be a top 5 pick - at worst top 10 - and they both need to start playing up their potential if they want to get where they want to be selected next April. 

Tulane at Ole’ Miss, 8:00 pm on ESPN2 - 

Matt Corral has played so far like he deserves to be the 1st pick taken in the draft over Rattler & Howell. I’m very interested to see if he can continue to play as well as he has, especially after this game vs Tulane when he plays Alabama week 5 and moving forward the rest of the season in the SEC bc if he does, Ole’ Miss could be a College Football Playoff contender & Corral could hear his name called in the top 5 of the NFL draft. 

Thanks. I didn't have my guide in front of me and didn't want to have to search for channels when I visit family (they have Exfinity and I have FIOS)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Thanks. I didn't have my guide in front of me and didn't want to have to search for channels when I visit family (they have Infinity and I have FIOS)

Also, Carson Strong of Nevada plays vs Kansas State at 2:00 pm on ESPN plus, he’s been impressive so far. 68%, 381 yds 6 TDs & 1 int but, he was far more impressive week 1 vs Idaho State than he was vs Cal last week when he was only 56% but still had 312 yds & 2 TDs but also had an int.

Playing against Kansas St. should be a real challenge for him because they usually have a quick & good defense.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 8:02 AM, MikeT14 said:

I wouldn't say "nothing", but I also agree they would throw them away in a heart beat for a 1st round QB if they wanted them. 

That's a better way of saying what I was trying to get at: having drafted a QB outside of the first round in one year is next-to-zero impediment to drafting a QB the following year. The NFL has shown this repeatedly.

Even Arizona has created the precedent of throwing away a first round QB the next year, but that's only if you are at the top of the draft and even that is still controversial.

23 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Depends on what the QB that was drafted after the first round shows them. Russell Wilson, Dak, Kirk Cousins, Nick Foles & others were kept and given chances to start by their teams right away or w/in a few years because of what the guys showed they could do.

Umm, none of those guys disproves what I said.

I'm not saying that non-first round rookies won't win the starting job in their rookie season like Wilson or Prescott did (although Dallas tried their damnedest to prevent Prescott from getting the gig).

I'm not saying that teams won't hold onto non-first round QBs for a couple of seasons before giving them the starting gig like Washington did with Kirk (I would point out that Kirk had protection from being replaced since Washington drafted RG3 in the same draft).

As for Nick Foles, he was a backup QB who got starts in his rookie year when Michael Vick went down. And then the Eagles drafted Matt Barkley the next season and gave Vick the starting gig at the beginning of 2013. Again, Foles only got the starting gig again in 2013 due to an injury to Vick. They also traded Foles two years later for a 2015 4th and 2016 2nd.

Unless the QB is firmly established by either a big contract or (is a rookie on a first round contract AND the team doesn't have the first overall pick), the rookie quarterback's presence on the roster is no impediment to the team drafting a quarterback the following year.

On 9/17/2021 at 10:37 AM, turtle28 said:

If the team really believed in that guy they had drafted like say if that guy for us was Trask or Mond, then Rivera may not be thinking QB in round 1 next year but that would be asked off of what the QB they had drafted this year was showing them the off-season, preseason and practices.

Keep in mind that there is very limited contact between the players and the team prior to the NFL draft. The OTAs, minicamps, and preseason all take place after the draft. So, teams have to base all of their plans on free agency and the draft solely on their evaluation of the players on the roster at the end of the previous season.

22 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Well I realize that but Woz’s point seemed to be that it was definitely inevitable that if we had drafted a QB in round 2 or 3 that it was more or less a waste. I don’t agree with that because if that QB practiced/played well they may not see the need to take a QB in round 1 if they believe the QB they drafted a year or two earlier will be a starter for them that season.

That was completely misreading what I said.

I'm never said it would be a waste to take a non-first round rookie QB. I'm just saying that had they taken the rookie QB outside of the first, there was little to nothing preventing them from coming right back around in 2022 and drafting a QB in the first again.

If the draft was held right now, Washington probably would not draft a QB because Heinicke has shown a spark. However, by the end of the season, that might change. His play early in the season combined with his presence on the roster may mean absolutely nothing come the 2022 NFL draft.

It is the exact same situation for Minnesota with Mond. He was a 3rd round pick in 2021. That means absolutely zero to Minnesota's plans in 2022 unless he shows them something in 2021. Yes, that requires them to give him the ball over Cousins and if they don't do that, he's got essentially no protection. Yes, that's unfair. That's how it goes.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Not true, Taylor Heinicke, Kyle Allen, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Case Keenum and Nick Foles come to mind.

I thought about editing my post to say "in order to prevent the team from replacing you the next season"

For the record, yes, all of these guys required multiple chances. That said, only Kirk Cousins got more than four seasons with the team that originally drafted/signed him.

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Does Nebraska actually count as "better competition?" Yes, they'll be better than Western Carolina, but are they honestly a tougher test than a feisty Tulane?