2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

Just now, ripsean21 said:

I know but he doesn’t protect the ball as well as Baker. But their makeup is very similar trait for trait outside of the decision making on the field I should say 🤣🤣🤣. Howell is a much better behind the mic then Baker unless your a journalist lol

He’s thrown one pick since the game against the Hokies. Yes, it was a bad game and I enjoyed it as a tech fan but since then he’s thrown 10 TDs to one pick. Add in three rushing TDs and that’s a nice start. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

He’s thrown one pick since the game against the Hokies. Yes, it was a bad game and I enjoyed it as a tech fan but since then he’s thrown 10 TDs to one pick. Add in three rushing TDs and that’s a nice start. 

Two lost fumbles this week because he doesn’t protect himself or the ball. And outside of Tech he hasn’t faced a name player on many top 200 big boards. But he threw 2 should be pics against GT which just became 3rd down non conversations. We have seen plenty of that in recent memory from the QB position. NFL starters are hard enough to find. That’s why teams draft them year after year. We’ve been spoiled with the talent coming out since the Baker-Allen-Jackson and Mahomes- Watson class. I mean there have been really awesome classes. Murray was the only guy in his class. Haskins and Jones had good tape but clear deficiencies. Jones has stuck around because when he doesn’t go DJ turnover his legs he can do things. Better coaching and he’s probably a good QB.last years class realistically 3 should end up good once factored teams staff injuries etc. Right now sadly Corral seems to be the best Scheme fit for us. But sadly that means we’re drafting possibly a lesser rated player depending on how he plays this SEC schedule. Trust me I feel like Corral either becomes the guy and we miss out. Or he is just a streaky player and we overdraft him because of fit when maybe Willis is the better player.

24 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I know but he doesn’t protect the ball as well as Baker. But their makeup is very similar trait for trait outside of the decision making on the field I should say 🤣🤣🤣. Howell is a much better behind the mic then Baker unless your a journalist lol

Thats what is bothering me. All he had to do was clean that up this year. He didn’t even have to win games. He needed to make smarter decisions and elevate guys around him. He has done neither. He and Rattler have just looked rough so far. Both are forcing

Baker made some poor decisions too in college but he had some great WRs & TEs bail him out Kinda like Howell had last year. I don’t think Howell and his new WRs are 100% on the same page yet.

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Baker made some poor decisions too in college but he had some great WRs & TEs bail him out Kinda like Howell had last year. I don’t think Howell and his new WRs are 100% on the same page yet.

I don’t think they are either and I’ll give him leeway with that. But Baker played out of his mind that last year at Oklahoma and he came through in the clutch and it showed a serious mental toughness to be able to handle grinds up and downs and big situations. He’s done these things in the NFL. But even his teams success is so reliant on the play around him. And all QB’s need weapons!!! And Howell can show these things. But he had a real shot early to separate and didn’t and I think that says something. Fields won me over late. Herbert had a okay year and won me late. Howell has time but he needs to cut down on turnover type plays with regularity

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I don’t think they are either and I’ll give him leeway with that. But Baker played out of his mind that last year at Oklahoma and he came through in the clutch and it showed a serious mental toughness to be able to handle grinds up and downs and big situations. He’s done these things in the NFL. But even his teams success is so reliant on the play around him. And all QB’s need weapons!!! And Howell can show these things. But he had a real shot early to separate and didn’t and I think that says something. Fields won me over late. Herbert had a okay year and won me late. Howell has time but he needs to cut down on turnover type plays with regularity

What weapons does Howell have? I could see if Dyami, Dazz, Carter & Javonte Williams were still out there but they’re playing on Sunday’s. I don’t know how you can overlook that. 

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What weapons does Howell have? I could see if Dyami, Dazz, Carter & Javonte Williams were still out there but they’re playing on Sunday’s. I don’t know how you can overlook that. 

But that’s part of the measure. Yes he lost all 4 and that was about 4500 yards of offense. But players and college leave for the pros. And the truely great QB’s level up the next guys. Emery Smith is Howells favorite target right now. He’s a solid player in his own right as he was making the plays he is this year last year. What isn’t being replaced are the tough physical catches that Duece and Newsome made. And Howell gave them a chance. 
I think the thing here is I’m not hating on Howell. I’m just giving an honest breakdown. I’m giving what I see and what I needed to see. He has time. Howell goes to a school I love so trust me I’d love to find our franchise guy at UNC!!! It was almost my hope after drafting Duece that we could pair them back up as I think that’s a underestimated benefit for young players to play with a guy their comfortable and have chemistry with from those two positions. But I don’t just want to take a QB to end up where we’ve always been.

There is a system I use and I truely want not just a talented player but I want the player that comes in here that makes not just every offensive guy play hard but makes his defenders say we are gonna get a stop because he will lead us back. QB scouting IMO has very little to do with numbers and percentages. What it does rely on is situations and what’s upstairs. And we all have seen that look from the guys who have it. I want the best players on this roster period. Idc what round it’s about maximizing the talent of each draft haul.

We’ve forced QB after QB pick. It’s hard being patient waiting for the guy when you don’t have him. It’s even harder trying to watch a Jag struggle because he doesn’t have it. Or look at Fields and Wilson. Both IMO on our team could be great even now would be playing better then they are. But drafting the right guy too early has been hard to watch here as well can’t we agree RG and not having a good enough roster around Kirk to keep him? We will get our guy. And I believe when it happens we will have the pieces in place and the right locker room culture by then to give him every opportunity. For the first time I actually agree with the personel decisions and trust me it was very hard watching Trey, Fields and especially Mond and what I thought was a heck of a value. But the only thing I support so far are these calculated choices. Now if their coaching points can start paying off on the field I’d be happier. Because this team was the surprise last year even overachieved. Now this staff needs to teach them how to win games against teams that are built to win. That’s the next step here. 

@ripsean21 I like Howell, he’s made the right choices for years as a QB. He was dreadful in his first game vs Va Tech but it was essentially a preseason game for him & his WRs vs a good, maybe great D.

He hasn’t made many mistakes since then, and even the few he has it seems more like a young guy pressing to do to much/trying to make a play - similar to Heinicke’s last int vs the Bills - rather than Howell doesn’t know how to play situational football or doesn’t have it upstairs.

As for Rivera and how he’s building the team. I’m not totally against how he’s building it but I do have my disagreements w/ what he’s done. He hasn’t chosen to draft a QB because he thinks “we’re close” like Bruce Allen so, instead of moving up to draft Fields or Mac Jones, he stuck w/ a near 40-year old Fitz as he & Scotty’s hand picked starter & bringing back two guys who know the offense but have limitations in Taylor & Kyle. He essentially chose Kyle Allen over Fields & Mac Jones. I’m sorry, that’s inexcusable.

Also, while I like Cosmi, there was no reason to draft him and cut Moses. I understand the reasons behind it $ & age w/ Moses but, it was unnecessary.

Maybe Kerrigan wasn’t going to re-sign in Washington bc he didn’t like not playing, but it didn’t seem like they tried and they certainly didn’t add a 3rd edge pass rusher they could count on.

It also seemed unnecessary to move on from Darby & Moreland. WJ3 more talented, but Darby fit the D & we had good chemistry last year. Darby had 16 passes defensed.

Also, I don’t know how anyone can be ok with how Rivera is or IMO isn’t addressing/building this LB corps. They had to know how awful Bostic was in coverage - heck, the whole world knows! But, they inexcusably bring him back for another year? 

They could’ve kept JHC as their 6th LB instead of keeping Jared Norris around as a back up, they could’ve signed other LBs to upgrade him Bostic like Denzel Perryman & could’ve re-signed KPL too to compete for the WLB job. 

On 9/27/2021 at 6:11 PM, aceinthehouse said:

We aren't getting a top draft pick. You guys can forget about that. This team is too talented to go 3-14, 4-13 or 5-12.

I think at worst, this team wins 7 games & that's coming from the biggest Redskin homer on the board. (Me)

Talent means a whole lot of nothing if not pair with effort and planning.

For me, 7 is the ceiling, not the floor.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:11 PM, aceinthehouse said:

But if you're hoping for a top 5 pick? Ain't gonna happen. 

This is a playoff team, not playing up to their potential.

When they do?

Look out, NFL!

Only if the NFC East craters again.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Woz said:

Talent means a whole lot of nothing if not pair with effort and planning.

For me, 7 is the ceiling, not the floor.

Only if the NFC East craters again.

Agreed with this. And, I don’t think the Cowboys are going to fall apart this year again. Everyone knows why they did last year, it’s because Dak got hurt. Now Dak is back & they’ve improved their D by getting a better Dec. coordinator, through the draft, young guys developing, by some vets getting healthy & a few FA additions. 

I don’t think the Cowboys are some kind of Super Bowl contender, but I do think they’re by far the best team in NFCE, sadly, and I’ve let that opinion be known all off-season. 

I think Dallas ends up winning 9 or 10 games, while us and the Giants win around 7 and the Eagles win around 5.

Edited by turtle28

On 9/27/2021 at 11:50 PM, turtle28 said:

I mean, Josh Downs looks pretty damn terrific. Smooth, great speed/burst, has been a big play waiting to happen for them. He’s a top-floor weapon, and I don’t know if you get to complain too loudly because you only have one anymore instead of four. 

That said...I went back and watched 3 of Howell’s games, and I don’t think he looks bad. He’s struggled to some degree against the better defenses, but there’s not a lot of relationship there yet with his receivers (and especially the big TE). To me, there’s almost a Justin Herbert feel to Howell at this point. We know he has enough arm, we know he’s got pretty good accuracy, we know he’s a (surprisingly) good athlete — the most impressive part of this season for him so far for me has easily been his effectiveness running the ball — but because of the wholesale changes around him, the end product may end up being disappointing this season. 

As I’ve been saying for the last few years, I’m hesitant to try to rank these guys because I just don’t know enough about their intangibles — intelligence, processing, mastery of concepts, work ethic, leadership, winning traits, etc. That’s what really takes a QB from Cousins to Brees, and I just don’t know that stuff. But I can say that based on what I’ve seen on the field, and in the current rankings, I would take Howell at 10-15 before I traded up for Corral or Willis in the top 5. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, e16bball said:

I mean, Josh Downs looks pretty damn terrific. Smooth, great speed/burst, has been a big play waiting to happen for them. He’s a top-floor weapon, and I don’t know if you get to complain too loudly because you only have one anymore instead of four. 

That said...I went back and watched 3 of Howell’s games, and I don’t think he looks bad. He’s struggled to some degree against the better defenses, but there’s not a lot of relationship there yet with his receivers (and especially the big TE). To me, there’s almost a Justin Herbert feel to Howell at this point. We know he has enough arm, we know he’s got pretty good accuracy, we know he’s a (surprisingly) good athlete — the most impressive part of this season for him so far for me has easily been his effectiveness running the ball — but because of the wholesale changes around him, the end product may end up being disappointing this season. 

As I’ve been saying for the last few years, I’m hesitant to try to rank these guys because I just don’t know enough about their intangibles — intelligence, processing, mastery of concepts, work ethic, leadership, winning traits, etc. That’s what really takes a QB from Cousins to Brees, and I just don’t know that stuff. But I can say that based on what I’ve seen on the field, and in the current rankings, I would take Howell at 10-15 before I traded up for Corral or Willis in the top 5. 

I def agree with the last part. I'm not saying that Howell can't win. I haven't even really easy he has played bad. what I've been trying to say want he hasn't taken the steps yet that I felt were what I needed to see to measure some of those intangibles without getting to know these guys. We don't get to meet them. so to me its about improvement year to year in their flaws and even week to week improvement matters a ton. I don't think he's played too bad. But a huge moment was missed to show some of the intangibles and that's the VT game. Its not all on him but as you said there difference between Cousins and Brees generally means growing in the biggest of tests and moments. But at pick 15 id probably run that card in as well short of a few stud stud players who won't be there being there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, e16bball said:

I’m not sure we’ll have to trade up! 😂 

Just now, lavar703 said:

Howells my guy. Has been for a couple years and I do hope we draft him but I’m not sure I want Scott Turner near whomever we draft at the position

What has Turner done so bad developing QBs? We can’t possibly blame the Haskins debacle on the coaching staff. I wanted Haskins to work out, but in a lot of ways like RG3, Haskins ended up being his own worst enemy in DC.

Turner has developed two UDFA’s (Heinicke & Allen) into at worse good back up QBs, and maybe more.