2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

Reading an Athletic article about reaches or not. Trying to summarize what I can see/read.

Seems like people see Dotson as a reach - someone that would have been available later in the 1st round to the Chiefs or Packers floor, but they get the trade down and why Washington passed on Williams needing someone immediately. 

Mathis is interesting. Most GMs really liked the pick and what he can do for Washington, and they thought that was the exact range he could go. You could argue or not about whether we created a hole where there wasn't one, but the pick wasn't a reach in these GMs eyes. Another GM said he was their next pick before Washington scooped him right before them. 

For Robinson, scouts liked the idea of the 1-2 punch with Gibson. Doesn't say one way or another about reach.

The risk for Butler was seen as solid because he is a Day 1 ST contributor with a chance to eventually develop. 

This is as far as I could get. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 9:04 AM, MikeT14 said:

Reading an Athletic article about reaches or not. Trying to summarize what I can see/read.

Seems like people see Dotson as a reach - someone that would have been available later in the 1st round to the Chiefs or Packers floor, but they get the trade down and why Washington passed on Williams needing someone immediately. 

Mathis is interesting. Most GMs really liked the pick and what he can do for Washington, and they thought that was the exact range he could go. You could argue or not about whether we created a hole where there wasn't one, but the pick wasn't a reach in these GMs eyes. Another GM said he was their next pick before Washington scooped him right before them. 

For Robinson, scouts liked the idea of the 1-2 punch with Gibson. Doesn't say one way or another about reach.

The risk for Butler was seen as solid because he is a Day 1 ST contributor with a chance to eventually develop. 

This is as far as I could get. 

About how I feel. The biggest arguments over Dotson will come if he doesn’t at least have a Crowder type impact for us & obviously if Olave, Williams, Kyle Hamilton or Burks end up being good to great bc we passed on those 4 guys which a lot of people liked more than Dotson for us at 11 or 16.

There will be arguments over Mathis if the players like JaQuan Brisker (FS, Penn St), George Pickens (WR, Georgia), Skye Moore (WR, Western Michigan), Alec Pierce (WR, Cincinnati), Anderson (MLB, Montana), Chad Muma (MLB, Wyoming), Tre McBride (TE, Colorado ST), James Cook (RB, Georgia),  NakobeDean (LB, Georgia), Ed Ingram (OG, LSU), Nick Bottino (LB, Oklahoma), Brian Asamougha (LB, Oklahoma), Jelani Woods (TE, Virginia), Christian Harris (LB, Alabama), Travis Jones (NT, Connecticut), Malik Willis (QB Liberty), Greg Dulcich (TE, UCLA), TJ Woods (FS, Baylor), DeAngelo Malone (LB, Western KY), Cameron Thomas (OLB, San Diego St) or Terrell Bernard (LB, Baylor) end up being better than Mathis.

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

About how I feel. The biggest arguments over Dotson will come if he doesn’t at least have a Crowder type impact for us & obviously if Olave, Williams, Kyle Hamilton or Burks end up being good to great bc we passed on those 4 guys which a lot of people liked more than Dotson for us at 11 or 16.

There will be arguments over Mathis if the players like JaQuan Brisker (FS, Penn St), George Pickens (WR, Georgia), Skye Moore (WR, Western Michigan), Alec Pierce (WR, Cincinnati), Anderson (MLB, Montana), Chad Muma (MLB, Wyoming), Tre McBride (TE, Colorado ST), James Cook (RB, Georgia),  NakobeDean (LB, Georgia), Ed Ingram (OG, LSU), Nick Bottino (LB, Oklahoma), Brian Asamougha (LB, Oklahoma), Jelani Woods (TE, Virginia), Christian Harris (LB, Alabama), Travis Jones (NT, Connecticut), Malik Willis (QB Liberty), Greg Dulcich (TE, UCLA), TJ Woods (FS, Baylor), DeAngelo Malone (LB, Western KY), Cameron Thomas (OLB, San Diego St) or Terrell Bernard (LB, Baylor) end up being better than Mathis.

Not taking Nakobe Dean, Brisker or Harris was insanely stupid when you consider how much time Mathis is really going to see. Dean or Harris would most likely be your starting MLB. Brisker is a playmaker at safety.
The Mathis pick is the most egregious misstep of this draft in my opinion. The talent that was available to you and you decided to fill in depth for a need you created is just asinine.  To me, this is just the Jarvis Jenkins/Trent Murphy/Ryan Anderson pick all over again. This is why we never have successful second round picks. 

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Not taking Nakobe Dean, Brisker or Harris was insanely stupid when you consider how much time Mathis is really going to see. Dean or Harris would most likely be your starting MLB. Brisker is a playmaker at safety.
The Mathis pick is the most egregious misstep of this draft in my opinion. The talent that was available to you and you decided to fill in depth for a need you created is just asinine.  To me, this is just the Jarvis Jenkins/Trent Murphy/Ryan Anderson pick all over again. This is why we never have successful second round picks. 

You won’t have to worry about it next draft since we most likely won’t have a 2nd rd pick next year. 😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Maybe, maybe not. From what I see Mathis is better than Jarvis Jenkins as a pass rusher. Jenkins was definitely over-drafted. If a guy had 9 sacks as a DT & is strong at the point of attack, I don’t think they’re over- drafted.