2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

33 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Anyone know anything about Desmond Ridder? Looks pretty good. 6’4” 215

I actually like him. He’s my wild card for this season. He has the tools and he can def improve!!! Not a huge arm though but can through outs and NFL throws. I’m excited to see him. I hope he can improve without His LT and with the defense losing some pieces. But I love the coaching staff there. They had Georgia against the ropes until Hudson got ejected. So we will see he didn’t look sharp after the targeting call. But last year he was pretty exciting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

I actually like him. He’s my wild card for this season. He has the tools and he can def improve!!! Not a huge arm though but can through outs and NFL throws. I’m excited to see him. I hope he can improve without His LT and with the defense losing some pieces. But I love the coaching staff there. They had Georgia against the ropes until Hudson got ejected. So we will see he didn’t look sharp after the targeting call. But last year he was pretty exciting

I love watching Ridder play! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I love watching Ridder play! 

Me too He’s actually pretty high on my list compared to I think where most have him. I really want to see this dude take the next step. I was high on a lot of talent going into this past season there’s quite a few guys I’m looking at on that team.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m not sure what’s weird about it Thai? Russell Wilson didn’t include us in his destinations and neither did Aaron Rodgers. We’re not a preferred place to go. So we’re looking at someone like Carr or Goff. 

If Fitz is re-signed for two more years than we’re on the road to nowhere. He’s not a winner. Fun guy to root for and will absolutely sling it but he’s proven over and over again he can’t get the job done as your full-time starter. They need a plan. Retreads and big trades for old vets should not be the answer. 

Weird because we weren't listed as one of the places he wanted to go but may end up here anyway. I certainly see Carr before him though. I don't see Goff getting shipped off by Detroit unless it's only for a Day 3 pick (or similar type of player swap). That would be two teams in two years and each time, his team will be selling him at a lower price.

I'm with @Slappy Mchere in that I think Fitz will surprise you. This is probably the best offense he's played in (at least in quite some time - I'm not going back through his career to compare). And if he does as you think he will? Then we'll finish in good position to get a QBOTF in 2022. My guess is that he will do well (or well enough) and they will need him at least 2 more years to get the QBOTF in 2022 or 2023 draft and have a veteran presence under center. I seriously doubt that Allen sniffs the field and don't think Heinecke is going to revive the magic he had and translate that into being an every game starter. Both of those guys are decent backups, but I don't see them as long-term starters.

So Fitz gets us through 2021. 

Right now the 2022 QB class looks weak(er). But that's why they play the games and a guy might emerge that we didn't think much of (or be a guy that lots of people overlooked like Josh Allen the year before his last year - though he still went #7 in the draft). 

So if Fitz does well and we either make the playoffs or finish middle of the pack, we either get one of the QBs that pops up or we trade out of the round and pick up a 2023 1st. At that point, we get Fitz to stay on for two more years. In the first scenario to be the veteran presence while the 2022 QBOTF is brought along. In the second, so that we will at least have a veteran QB under center when we draft the QBOTF in 2023.

But if Fitz bombs? Well then we're drafting high and we can easily get the QB we need. And if none look good to us? Trade down and add picks and then use them to add more. Eagles and Dolphins (and Giants) added picks in this draft (including some of them getting additional firsts next year) and next by doing just that.

Long term, this is not a problem to me. It's why I didn't want to sign a guy like Mitch or someone else like that. I knew if we signed him, the pressure to not grab a QB in the next year or two would be too great. At least with Fitz, we know we will be moving on from him sooner rather than later. Meanwhile he can do great in this offense. Will he? That remains to be seen. But if he doesn't? Then we are closer to grabbing the QBOTF without having to mortgage the future. 

• Like 1

The reason we should’ve signed a younger FA QB like Trubisky, traded for Darnold or just roles w/ Kyle Allen or Heinicke, then draft a rookie to develop/compete for the job this year too to see they could be the starter and see if any could be the long term answer at QB.

Now we’ll likely get no long term answer once again to our issue of a franchise QB. It’s a major problem. Short of Fitz winning a Super Bowl, it’s a bad signing in my eyes.

Edited by turtle28

59 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The reason we should’ve signed a younger FA QB like Trubisky, traded for Darnold or just roles w/ Kyle Allen or Heinicke, then draft a rookie to develop/compete for the job this year too to see they could be the starter and see if any could be the long term answer at QB.

Now we’ll likely get no long term answer once again to our issue of a franchise QB. It’s a major problem. Short of Fitz winning a Super Bowl, it’s a bad signing in my eyes.

And the bolded was exactly why I liked the Fitz signing over signing/trading for them. There'd be pressure to pass on the QBOTF because "we just need to give Mitch more time/weapons so we'll just grab a Day 2 or Day 3 QB instead". There's a reason he's no longer in Chicago, and it ain't because he's a long-term fit. As I said, the fact that Fitz has an expiration date of this year or next, is not a bug to me. It's a feature.

Think of this.

1. We sign Mitch.
  2. We have Allen and Heinecke. We're in the same situation at #19 we were just last Thursday. So we're not drafting a QB in 2021.
  3. Now Mitch plays about the same, maybe a little better than Fitz in this offense. Cool. That's good. Pressure to give him a 5 year contract will be there. Hello Alex Smith 2.0. So then you can forget about drafting your QBOTF in 2022, 2023, or 2024.
  4. Or...Mitch does horribly like some people expect Fitz to do. He signed a 1 year deal like Fitz did. The excuses for him will be legendary and the pressure to sign him will happen. And then we will give him a 5 year contract (with maybe an out after 2 years). And then we won't draft the QBOTF in 2022 or 2023.
  5. In #3 and #4, we aren't drafting a QBOTF because we have a "young QB already on the roster" that everyone will make excuses for. At least with Fitz, that 5 year contract isn't gonna happen and we know that in the next year or two, we're getting our QB.

That is the exact scenario I laid out in my head when I started to predict what would happen this past offseason and QBs like Mitch and others were available. Fitz costs us $10m and isn't going to require a 5 year contract that precludes us from getting the QBOTF in the next 2 drafts. I understand the people down on him because they are looking at 2022 and he was on a 1 year deal, but IMHO (and I'm fully expecting to be wrong in my prognostication), they aren't seeing it as clearly as I think they should. We weren't trading for a QB. We just weren't. So that leaves us with Mitch or Fitz. Both on 1 year deals. If both do well, 1 will be a helluva lot easier to re-sign in FA next year and won't need a 5 year contract and a lot of $$ to re-sign with us (giving long contracts to old QBs burned us once, we won't do it again). If you're truly looking long-term IMHO (and again, I fully expect to take the slings and arrows from my brethren here and am prepared to eat crow in 2 years), signing Fitz was the smartest move we could make given where we found ourselves drafting and our current situation with cap and player personnel.

• Like 2

One problem for WFT getting a QB in the next draft is multiple teams have positioned themselves for a trade up.  Eagles, Giants, and Dolphins all added first round picks and have young QBs in (arguably) make or break years.

• Like 3

Just now, noptov52 said:

One problem for WFT getting a QB in the next draft is multiple teams have positioned themselves for a trade up.  Eagles, Giants, and Dolphins all added first round picks and have young QBs in (arguably) make or break years.

Correct. It is a problem and why I was on the "trade out of the 1st round and pick up a 2022 1st" train. Now that also meant that we needed a trading partner for #19, so that is problematic. But Eagles, Dolphins, and Giants positioning themselves to get the QB they target is one reason why it's not always preferable for your team's long-term success that they "make it to the playoffs" and then get bounced in the first round. Sometimes it's better to completely suck for a year or two to get the capital you need to re-arm the team. The Browns have smartly done this in recent years and other teams are starting to take note. 

But yes, given our situation, if we really wanted to get a QB in next year's draft, our best bet is to finish with one of the first 5 picks. Is that ideal? Not for me in the short-term, because I like cheering wins (and even when I know we're out of the playoff hunt and am hoping for a better pick, I still cheer each score and each game). But long-term? If an extra year of sucking gets us the next Peyton Manning (or even Josh Allen)? I'll take it (even if the fan in me is not happy about losses). Delayed gratification is the key. We've had that for over 2 decades because we always seem to draft just outside where we can get a QB and when we have a pick that we could (2020), we just took a QB the year before and he hasn't been tested. So yeah, delayed gratification is key, but only if there's a purpose. Finishing middle of the pack in terms of pick # is not going to help us most years. I'd trade a couple more 4-12 seasons for getting our Franchise QB and then 10 or 11 win seasons for the next twenty.

6 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Paging @e16bball again

If the accuracy does click for him (obviously, enormous IF), he’s every bit as physically talented as Trey Lance. Not the size, but I think his arm is actually stronger and he’s probably a bit more elusive (if not as powerful) as a runner. 

May as well put the two big **DISCLAIMERS** in bright flashing lights up front: (1) he’s not a tremendously accurate QB at the moment and (2) I have no idea what the intangibles are. Lance also wasn’t particularly accurate, but he evidently had off-the-chart intangibles that made them feel extremely comfortable taking him despite his limited experience. 

But just in terms of what they can do physically, I think Willis has to be in the mix as someone comparable to Lance.

• Like 2

Just so you guys know me and my roommate are actually planning to go see Willis 3 times this year in person. So hopefully while we’re there we can get a good feel from people plus laying eyes on a guy in person just helps so much. I know E brought him up and I planned on doing a piece on him before the season because he’s a guy we wanted to lay eyes on so we already planned this for us and the pod. Hopefully this guy shines this year because last year I just kept telling my roommate this is a guy we have to lay eyes on so we picked 3 games to go see that are going to be a cool experience. We plan on seeing Ridder, Willis, DJ from Clemson and we’re going to fly out west to catch Ridder live. I’m super excited for this season

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Just so you guys know me and my roommate are actually planning to go see Willis 3 times this year in person. So hopefully while we’re there we can get a good feel from people plus laying eyes on a guy in person just helps so much. I know E brought him up and I planned on doing a piece on him before the season because he’s a guy we wanted to lay eyes on so we already planned this for us and the pod. Hopefully this guy shines this year because last year I just kept telling my roommate this is a guy we have to lay eyes on so we picked 3 games to go see that are going to be a cool experience. We plan on seeing Ridder, Willis, DJ from Clemson and we’re going to fly out west to catch Ridder live. I’m super excited for this season

I REALLY appreciate the effort you go into to look at these guys

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I have a joke for this but it wouldn’t be appropriate for this board, if it were Twitter I’d use it! You can only imagine! 😂 

• Like 1