2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

I don’t think we’ll end up with the #1 pick, more like around 5, but I’d take Corral if we get it. 

If Corral is gone and we’re picking around 5 I’m taking Kyle Hamilton. I can’t envision Fuller & WJ3 sucking forever and Stingley and Hamilton are going to have similar grades. FS is our biggest need on D by far, so that being the case I’d take Hamilton.

33 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think we’ll end up with the #1 pick, more like around 5, but I’d take Corral if we get it. 

If Corral is gone and we’re picking around 5 I’m taking Kyle Hamilton. I can’t envision Fuller & WJ3 sucking forever and Stingley and Hamilton are going to have similar grades. FS is our biggest need on D by far, so that being the case I’d take Hamilton.

Hamilton because his health at 5 separated it for me id be okay taking Hamilton at 5 I’d be elated

3 minutes ago, Troublez said:

I would check walterfootball.com for some QB prospects ..... to watch the remainder of the season...

BUT I don't feel like having a seizure from navigating the sight through 6 millions ads. Someone throw up a top 10 list for me!

Matt Corral Ole Miss. He size wise is probably similar to Taylor with his added weight this year. Corral has plenty of arm and he has always had the willingness to fit a ball through a window. Where Corral has grown the most is decision making and football IQ. He uses very well timed and executed pump fakes and he has wheels. Corral is the leader of that team. When teams are playing Ole Miss well I always see Corral on the sideline settling and also pumping up his teammates. To date not only has he answered the questions I needed answered but this year I’ve seen him hand RPO’s off when he would have held it last year. What I mean is he’s allowing his RB’s the freedom to get the 6 yards they can get instead of forcing a play he’s taking what the defense gives him. I can’t interview the guy but as I’ve said he’s shown me for this class he’s the guy.

Malik Willis. This is a Uber talented guy we could maybe have a shot at early in the second. He has amazing physical tools. He needs to sit half a season or more to work on the ins and outs of pre snap and post snap reads. He could be featured in a more creative use of the zone read and he probably would have gotten picked top 10 if Liberty actually just allowed Willis to be the sure fire star in that offense. For Willis you have to have and stick to a plan because if you put him out too early he may never grow as a passer. Biggest risk but could be a true franchise player even if he doesn’t regularly throw for 350 a week.

Carson Strong. Sadly I think there’s actually something to this knee issue since he tore up his whole knee in high school. When you blow your knee out to that degree you get nerve damage. As often as I see him pick his knee up and flick his foot between and before plays I am seriously concerned for how amazing he is as a traditional pocket QB that this is something that will really come to set him back on the NFL level. He has an elite arm and he’s developed inside the pocket. But his movement skills are worse then Haskins. But Strong also leads the offense out there. Yes he has a stud WR who I do want to take a flier on. That said when I see Strong look down a WR, predetermine, throw off balance you can tell his limitations. I think at Nevada against that level of comp his elite level arm and plus level decision making allows him to thrive. But I can see a very likely scenario where in the NFL he can’t translate because of him compensating his throwing motion and his drop backs to his knee not allowing him to have a nice form solid base to throw from.

Sam Howell. This guy has the arm he’s mobile and he should be 1A,1B to Corral. But everything I said I saw Corral improve this year Sam Howell didnt. Yes he lost 4500 yards of production in the draft last year. I did not need to see Howell light college football apart this season to be the guy. What I needed to see was him cut down on the 2-4 turn over worthy plays he has had in every game since his Freshman season. Of course losing all those RB’s and those two WR’s he wasn’t going to just keep it moving without transition. People can knock me for saying this but Howell has done the things that guys like Matt Barkley, Josh Rosen, Brian Brohm and many others who were pre season top pick favorites who have had good careers who just don’t progress enough and really show the aspects that limit their game they just don’t improve. Howell has plenty of tools. If we could get Howell round 2 and took a flier I’d be okay. But he has to ultimately look in the mirror and put the work in. We all know he has heart and ability. He’s a gamer and that is a great quality. But there are a ton of mental and boring things that position requires you spend time on to improve. Will he dedicate to these things? Idk. 

Casey Thompson. I’ll add to this and this guy IMO goes back to school. But I am so intrigued by his potential. He needs to be coached up but he has al the tools. He is very raw and will need to work on decision making. But he has wheels size arm and willingness to thread a needle and throw through windows. He is young at the position and it’s clear he needs another year to settle into playing behind a OL at game speed. But from what he was coming out of HS he has worked his tail off between the ears at that position. I like the trajectory and I love how he patiently waited and clearly worked on the weak parts of his game. Yes he has a ways to go. But I love players who show clear obvious growth because that’s the closest indicator you can have to their personality and work ethic without interviewing them.

Kenny Pickett. Pitt

UVA QB

SMU QB I am about to chop their names but I’m currently working on these 3 so I’ll add to this post as I have their names properly spelled and finished up to date notes 

A couple of names I really enjoy what I’ve seen so far. Last year I loved Javon Holland. I actually think Verone McKinley is even more instinctual and has playmaking hands and athleticism. This Oregon Saftey is shining in a loaded saftey class.

Trevor Penning I think has the best raw skill set of all the LT prospects. This guy is a freak. He needs coaching but he is a freak athlete on the OL I think he has the highest ceiling from what I have seen so far this season. 
Drake London the USC WR. The WR position isn’t going away anytime soon. The talent the last 3 years has been crazy and it’s just going to continue. All different shapes sizes skill sets and this guy is crazy talented for a 6-4 plus. Just have to shout him out this guy has amazing upside.

So some injury news from yesterday. I’m currently watching Liberty and Notre dame on split screen and Hamilton and Willis both were hurt. News on Willis is he was transported to the hospital with his ankle injury. I think Kyle Hamilton’s was less serious but it will be something to monitor if he decides to shut it down to focus on the draft essentially being a top 3 rated player in the class overall