2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Well, let's look at the two years here: Year 1 - he had a young guy who was given opportunities and, because he's a bonehead, squandered them. That's not on Rivera. 

What is on Rivera was that he didn't take a QB in Round 1 this year. We've beat him up on that and deservedly so. Jury seems out early on Fields, but maybe we dodged a bullet there. We'll see. Mac Jones, who was the guy I wanted anyway, seems like we may have FUBAR'd that one. What Rivera did do was go out and try and get a veteran because he thought the defense could carry the team. That's the real mistake. This defense is terrible. 

I don't get where the perception idea you have this though. I don't think we have enough to say one way or another. He had Cam Newton for his career. He didn't really have much to worry about. 

Watching this last QB draft class play should give us all a big reality check.  The hype regarding Fields, Wilson, Lance, Jones and Lawrence was so ridiculous.  Many people had them all worth the top pick.  Fields and Wilson look like disasters.  Maybe not much of Lance to see and judge, but that says it all to me.  No way in hell do you trade that much draft capital if your guy can't even win the starting job.  Jones and Lawrence look a lot better.  Lawrence looks capable but unimpressive, Jones is starting to have some moments.

I guess a lot less damage to the franchise when you don't trade up, like Haskins.  It really was a minor blip.  Of course Haskins was a mid 1st rounder, not top 3 pick.  But if you give up years of first rounders and swing and miss, yikes.

A guy I’ve liked watching more than I expected to is Kenny Pickett from Pitt. I think his arm is significantly better than I previously believed it to be — he can really hum it. 

He can run it a little bit too, and he seems competitive as hell. I’m intrigued to see more from him.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yes please and thank you!

I know it hasn't been proven in the court of law and all that side of the argument. But are y'all really okay with having Watson as our franchise QB after what he has done? 

Don't get me wrong, I love the player and we've never had a QB of his caliber. But, I just can't think it would be a good PR move and do not know if it's worth it to add a guy like that, just to try and win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

A guy I’ve liked watching more than I expected to is Kenny Pickett from Pitt. I think his arm is significantly better than I previously believed it to be — he can really hum it. 

He can run it a little bit too, and he seems competitive as hell. I’m intrigued to see more from him.

I’d like to know his hand size. I want to know why he throws with the glove. I don’t care I just want to know if he’s going to have an issue with a bigger ball if it is a hand size thing. Otherwise he's a gamer and his team rally’s around him. 

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

He's definitely the guy flying up the draft boards the highest. Comparison I've seen was Kirk Cousins. Arm is a little weaker than most others. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

I know it hasn't been proven in the court of law and all that side of the argument. But are y'all really okay with having Watson as our franchise QB after what he has done? 

Absolutely not. 

3 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the player and we've never had a QB of his caliber. But, I just can't think it would be a good PR move and do not know if it's worth it to add a guy like that, just to try and win. 

100%

16 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I'll watch him as much as I can. Is he coming out? If so, what round do you think he's taken?

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'll watch him as much as I can. Is he coming out? If so, what round do you think he's taken?

He's a RS Senior so I would think so. No idea where the extra season falls in place. Before the season? He was a Day 3 guy. Right now? Probably a Day 2 guy. By the time it's all said and done? He might sneak into Day 1 if this continues and the lack of talent otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

5th year senior, so definitely coming out.

He’s a tough one to peg, in terms of draft position. He’s been playing for a long time, and he really has been mostly a non-entity (draft-wise) for his whole career. Just never played at a level that drummed up any draft intrigue. 

And yet...he’s absolutely tearing it up right now. The numbers aren’t as crazy as Joe Burrow or Mac Jones in their last seasons — but he also only has one real NFL type weapon (as opposed to the 3-4 that those guys were working with). And the arm and athleticism are definitely more comparable to Burrow than to Jones, in my book. 

In this draft class, I just really don’t know where the limit is for him. Which of these QBs could you really say with a straight face, “no way they get passed in the draft process?” No one is going to touch Malik Willis in terms of ceiling in my book, with his arm strength and legs both being elite elite. But he’s a huge risk — it’s not like Lamar balling out against good teams in the ACC at Louisville for years, he couldn’t hack it at Auburn and only started dominating when he got to a lower level of competition. And none of the rest of them (Corral, Howell, Ridder, Strong, etc.) is anything close to untouchable either. I think Pickett should be in the same boat as those guys at the moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

He's definitely the guy flying up the draft boards the highest. Comparison I've seen was Kirk Cousins. Arm is a little weaker than most others. 

The arm has always been the big knock on him, at least in my mind, but he is really zipping the ball out there at the moment. Check out the throw at 1:00 of this video, just a back foot laser:

• Like 1

Just now, e16bball said:

The arm has always been the big knock on him, at least in my mind, but he is really zipping the ball out there at the moment. Check out the throw at 1:00 of this video, just a back foot laser:

Addison is a stud!!! So is 4.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

5th year senior, so definitely coming out.

He’s a tough one to peg, in terms of draft position. He’s been playing for a long time, and he really has been mostly a non-entity (draft-wise) for his whole career. Just never played at a level that drummed up any draft intrigue. 

And yet...he’s absolutely tearing it up right now. The numbers aren’t as crazy as Joe Burrow or Mac Jones in their last seasons — but he also only has one real NFL type weapon (as opposed to the 3-4 that those guys were working with). And the arm and athleticism are definitely more comparable to Burrow than to Jones, in my book. 

In this draft class, I just really don’t know where the limit is for him. Which of these QBs could you really say with a straight face, “no way they get passed in the draft process?” No one is going to touch Malik Willis in terms of ceiling in my book, with his arm strength and legs both being elite elite. But he’s a huge risk — it’s not like Lamar balling out against good teams in the ACC at Louisville for years, he couldn’t hack it at Auburn and only started dominating when he got to a lower level of competition. And none of the rest of them (Corral, Howell, Ridder, Strong, etc.) is anything close to untouchable either. I think Pickett should be in the same boat as those guys at the moment.

I'm going to look at him a lot then. I'm okay passing on other QBs that may have higher ceilings in favor of a guy who has a good ceiling and has proven himself. I think I've said it before, but I favor players with a longer resume' rather than a one or two year wonder. Even if he has not been that awe inspiring a few years before, I'm intrigued if he's putting it all together now and tearing it up. 

@lavar703clued me into Josh Allen the same way. A guy that wasn't getting much attention but had a good resume' and had the skills that could translate to the NFL game. So now my wife is gonna hate you because I'm going to be loading up the DVR with every Pitt game I can find.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm going to look at him a lot then. I'm okay passing on other QBs that may have higher ceilings in favor of a guy who has a good ceiling and has proven himself. I think I've said it before, but I favor players with a longer resume' rather than a one or two year wonder. Even if he has not been that awe inspiring a few years before, I'm intrigued if he's putting it all together now and tearing it up. 

@lavar703clued me into Josh Allen the same way. A guy that wasn't getting much attention but had a good resume' and had the skills that could translate to the NFL game. So now my wife is gonna hate you because I'm going to be loading up the DVR with every Pitt game I can find.

😂 apologize to your wife in advance. He’s a fun guy to watch though. There’s definitely some Burrow vibe I get from him, just competitive as hell. Made a couple plays against Clemson where he just wanted it the most. 

But from what I’m seeing, he doesn’t have the absurd accuracy that Burrow showed his last year at LSU. Which was really the most remarkable thing about Burrow that year, in my book — he was just dropping dimes all over the field. Pickett has a bit of a tendency to, and stop me if you’ve heard this one before, miss high. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, e16bball said:

😂 apologize to your wife in advance. He’s a fun guy to watch though. There’s definitely some Burrow vibe I get from him, just competitive as hell. Made a couple plays against Clemson where he just wanted it the most. 

But from what I’m seeing, he doesn’t have the absurd accuracy that Burrow showed his last year at LSU. Which was really the most remarkable thing about Burrow that year, in my book — he was just dropping dimes all over the field. Pickett has a bit of a tendency to, and stop me if you’ve heard this one before, miss high. 

That’s why I was wondering the hand size and glove thing. Is it coming out early when he’s ripping it because he doesn’t have big enough hands to cradle it while he’s whipping it. Or is he just more comfortable with the glove. But he is an exciting player. I love scouting Pitt defenders and these WR’s honestly I’ve def seen this guy. I’m very curious to see this QB race over the next month and a half