2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

Kiper and McShay both released new rankings for the upcoming drafts. As far as the QBs go:

Kiper

15. Kenny Pickett

20. Matt Corral

25. Desmond Ridder

Malik Willis and Sam Howell round out his top 5, but neither cracked the top 25 overall rankings.

McShay

6. Malik Willis

21. Matt Corral

27. Kenny Pickett

32. Desmond Ridder

I find it interesting that they both had Ridder as their last ranked prospect. Suggests to me that neither is sold on him, and yet they suspect he may be a guy that rises up the board. I could see that. I also think it’s a lot more likely that Willis ends up where McShay has him, rather than where Kiper has him. I’m not saying I love the idea of picking him, but someone is going to fall in love with the athletic gifts. 

Overall takeaway? More information supporting the conclusion that this is probably NOT the draft to be trying to find a QB.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Just when we're most desperate 😆

That’s why we should get a higher rated player that will fill another huge need and have a more talented roster collectively next year with possibly a much better class

to that lets say we could get a top LT. So how bad is Taylor? Because Taylor is very much adjusting and I see improvements. If we had better OL play what could we do? Well if we called a offense that fit Taylor’s skill set more like we did last week and he improves and has all around better blocking and better more dynamic run game we could really see what we have. And then when the class is better get your guy. Like the chiefs did with Alex. Taylor isn’t a bad player. I actually think he is and can improve more. No he’s not the guy right now your building around. But you can build the roster one more year and develop guys and move assets to get more draft capital in that class to make your move to get your guy and have a competent roster around said player

Edited by ripsean21

2 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

That’s why we should get a higher rated player that will fill another huge need and have a more talented roster collectively next year with possibly a much better class

So we go into year 3 with Rivera still not having a QB? Shouldn’t we just fire him now then?

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

So we go into year 3 with Rivera still not having a QB? Shouldn’t we just fire him now then?

We did it with Shanahan. What’s one year if you identify a strategy now to get the roster to a certain point and plan ahead for that move like the teams making moves up for their guys are doing. It’s forward thinking. It’s sacrificing a year to improve the overall talent around that future pick at QB to give him a better shot.

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Sometimes you build the team first and then get your QB. It's possible. 

This is what I’d do with guys like Bryce Young and Caleb Williams coming down the pike let’s hit some of this top tier close to blue chip pool we were way out of range of in last years class

The last time we drafted a QB to draft a QB it just always flutters. Murray was the top pick that year. He was legit while undersized he was a stud and has proven it. Then you had Jones Haskins and Lock. All these teams still need one. But they took QB’s for the sake and because they had a few traits and needed plenty of work. If Corral, Ridde,  Pickett, Willis no order or rank there. If any of them aren’t like super amazingly ahead at pre snap and don’t interview and have true leader qualities you don’t spend a top pick in them. Sending round flier okay but that doesn’t hinder me from drafting a top guy next year. Also if we’re picking high enough maybe you could trade the pick for a teams One next year. Now you just prepared and maximized your top pick by not staking your job on a guy in two years you know your fired for. If I was Ron I’d let my seat be hot one more year coach the heck out of my team and hopefully I’d be able to use the assets I got this offseason and the next pre draft I’d make my move to secure a pick to get QB x more talented and the guy on a better team with picks moving forward to build around him.

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

The last time we drafted a QB to draft a QB it just always flutters. Murray was the top pick that year. He was legit while undersized he was a stud and has proven it. Then you had Jones Haskins and Lock. All these teams still need one. But they took QB’s for the sake and because they had a few traits and needed plenty of work. If Corral, Ridde,  Pickett, Willis no order or rank there. If any of them aren’t like super amazingly ahead at pre snap and don’t interview and have true leader qualities you don’t spend a top pick in them. Sending round flier okay but that doesn’t hinder me from drafting a top guy next year. Also if we’re picking high enough maybe you could trade the pick for a teams One next year. Now you just prepared and maximized your top pick by not staking your job on a guy in two years you know your fired for. If I was Ron I’d let my seat be hot one more year coach the heck out of my team and hopefully I’d be able to use the assets I got this offseason and the next pre draft I’d make my move to secure a pick to get QB x more talented and the guy on a better team with picks moving forward to build around him.

Murray was far from legit. Most people were kinda shocked the cardinals were going to pick him and made it out to be a big joke because of Kliff Kingsbury. It’s always silly revisionist history and I’m not saying that’s what you’re doing here. Josh Allen was a scrub, Herbert regressed and on and on and on. We can sit here and nitpick the hell out of these QBs but I bet you in two years at least of them is great. There’s just too much talent in this class. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Murray was far from legit. Most people were kinda shocked the cardinals were going to pick him and made it out to be a big joke because of Kliff Kingsbury. It’s always silly revisionist history and I’m not saying that’s what you’re doing here. Josh Allen was a scrub, Herbert regressed and on and on and on. We can sit here and nitpick the hell out of these QBs but I bet you in two years at least of them is great. There’s just too much talent in this class. 

The odds say one might be good most won’t and some will go later then we think. But Murray had a big arm A level athlete and was smart. He was clearly a hard worker to play two sports and excel especially at playing QB. His dismissals were mostly size durability and the Mahomes air it out offense type numbers and can he read defenses and hit tighter window discussion they have with all QB’s these days. Kyler was a stud in college. Anybody that watched that year knew he was the best football player in that class. And he’s worked his tail off and progressed and he and his coach work well together.
We have to find the guy that is going to mesh well with what we’re trying to build moving forward. Personalities matter. We don’t want to Justin fields/ Nagy this. We don’t want to Darnold/ Gase this. We want to bring in a guy that’s going to fit in and has the game we’re trying to field. we don’t get to talk to none of these guys. So as fans we are clearly looking at talent. And the talent in this class doesn’t appear to be on the level of Young and Williams and it’s not close. And other names will always pop up. I do like Corral. I just have a feeling he will be gone. Willis is a project. I’m okay with him if this staff could stick to their guns if he’s the leader this team needs. But this staff needs to be in love with the actual player. Not try to make him up to what he maybe in perfect world could be. 

13 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Would CJ Stroud be in the mix for 2023?

Heck yeah he and Williams if your projecting that’s their year. Young is 22. And that’s assuming all these guys come out early. And the way QB’s are these days it’s not always the same knock it used to be

46 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Heck yeah he and Williams if your projecting that’s their year. Young is 22. And that’s assuming all these guys come out early. And the way QB’s are these days it’s not always the same knock it used to be

I like that he’s a pocket QB and has wheels to extend the play. Good size and throws a nice ball. 

8 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I like that he’s a pocket QB and has wheels to extend the play. Good size and throws a nice ball. 

I like what I’ve seen from stroud!!! I think I’m just enamored with Caleb because I watched him personally a lot in HS. He’s a local. Stroud is going to do very well and I think he’s right there with Williams. As you said though he’s def further along in the pocket then Williams. Williams is just a special athlete and has just a really special skill set. These under class man are why I keep watching this class and I see the overall talent in this class at positions were staged at and I just think the best thing with a actual plan at QB going forward is to continue to build the roster this year. Personally I’d be okay going all in on Young next year. He’s just a really sneaky player. He’s only getting better.

• Like 1