2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The best comp for Taylor in the 2021 draft was Justin Fields. Fields is a bigger/faster/stronger version of Heinicke.

I really really hope I’m wrong but I really think they missed a golden opportunity to trade up and draft Fields or Mac Jones last draft and they’re going to be regretting it for a while.

Matt Corral is a good comp to how Heinicke plays & obviously accuracy can be improved if a prospect is willing to work hard at it. Heinicke has improved his accuracy as this season has gone on, I don’t see why Corral couldn’t if we draft him.

Corral has shown he’s a leader and will work hard on his game. He runs similar style of game that we do. I think If were selecting a guy he has the tools this staff has shown to like. He very much can improve deep ball accuracy. I’ve grown on the idea of him if that’s the route we go. But I wouldn’t trade up for him. But if they like him enough they should if that’s the guy who they feel has all the intangibles they want. He’s really good at pump fakes and manipulating safety’s with look offs. Corral I’ve watched every game and I’m comfortable saying that he displays the traits to be a franchise guy. But adjusting to the NFL I wouldn’t rush him and thankfully with Taylor we shouldn’t have too.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

I'm just hoping that Armstrong stays put. I don't think he will (he's seen what injuries can mean to his future earnings), but I want that VT loss to stick in his craw leading to a full season of actual Heisman focus.

Don’t worry UVA is a QB factory isn’t it? I’m sure you’ll find another easily.  😂 

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, Woz said:

I'm just hoping that Armstrong stays put. I don't think he will (he's seen what injuries can mean to his future earnings), but I want that VT loss to stick in his craw leading to a full season of actual Heisman focus.

Yeah, he ain't the guy for the NFL, I'm with you. 

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Don’t worry UVA is a QB factory isn’t it? I’m sure you’ll find another easily.  😂 

For all of your mocking of Virginia, let's consider the free agent era (1994 onward; years of service are where the player actually recorded stats):

• Maryland: 0 quarterbacks drafted
  • West Virginia: 4 quarterbacks drafted
    • 2000 6.02 (168) Marc Bulger (8 year career, total AV = 64, AV/year = 8.0)
    • 2009 2.12 (44) Pat White (1 year career, total AV = 1, AV/year = 1.0)
    • 2013 2.07 (39) Geno Smith (8 year career, total AV = 16, AV/year = 2.0)
    • 2019 3.36 (100) Will Grier (1 year career, total AV = 1, AV/year = 1.0)

• Virginia: 2 quarterbacks drafted
    • 1999 4.36 (131) Aaron Brooks (7 year career, total AV = 73, AV/year = 10.4)
    • 2004 3.27 (90) Matt Schaub (16 year career, total AV = 79, AV/year = 4.9)

So, while Virginia hasn't had that many good QBs, at least the ones they've had actually had careers in the NFL.

3 hours ago, 4209 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Strong and Howell are seniors and thus won't get invites if they declare.

Pickett is, so I would expect his invitation at some point.

18 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Corral has shown he’s a leader and will work hard on his game. He runs similar style of game that we do. I think If were selecting a guy he has the tools this staff has shown to like. He very much can improve deep ball accuracy. I’ve grown on the idea of him if that’s the route we go. But I wouldn’t trade up for him. But if they like him enough they should if that’s the guy who they feel has all the intangibles they want. He’s really good at pump fakes and manipulating safety’s with look offs. Corral I’ve watched every game and I’m comfortable saying that he displays the traits to be a franchise guy. But adjusting to the NFL I wouldn’t rush him and thankfully with Taylor we shouldn’t have too.

I definitely agree I wouldn’t trade up for him, I wouldn’t trade up for anyone in this years class. If we don’t draft a QB this year who comes in and looks like he could be an eventual good to great starter then, next year would be the QB class that I’d trade up for someone if a team is willing to trade back which of course you always need. Everyone says “oh we’ll just trade up!” Well, you need someone willing to trade down in order to trade up.

On 11/28/2021 at 8:35 PM, Woz said:

For all of your mocking of Virginia, let's consider the free agent era (1994 onward; years of service are where the player actually recorded stats):

• Maryland: 0 quarterbacks drafted
  • West Virginia: 4 quarterbacks drafted
    • 2000 6.02 (168) Marc Bulger (8 year career, total AV = 64, AV/year = 8.0)
    • 2009 2.12 (44) Pat White (1 year career, total AV = 1, AV/year = 1.0)
    • 2013 2.07 (39) Geno Smith (8 year career, total AV = 16, AV/year = 2.0)
    • 2019 3.36 (100) Will Grier (1 year career, total AV = 1, AV/year = 1.0)

• Virginia: 2 quarterbacks drafted
    • 1999 4.36 (131) Aaron Brooks (7 year career, total AV = 73, AV/year = 10.4)
    • 2004 3.27 (90) Matt Schaub (16 year career, total AV = 79, AV/year = 4.9)

So, while Virginia hasn't had that many good QBs, at least the ones they've had actually had careers in the NFL.

I was clearly kidding. I do realize they UMD hasn’t produced anything. I do think that Taulia Tagovailoa will be drafted in the 2023 draft at some point.

Edited by turtle28

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Hmm, not sure about that. I thought it was just for Seniors period. I don’t remember any juniors ever being in the game.

Who plays in the Reese's Senior Bowl?
Each year, the Senior Bowl rosters feature the nation's top senior collegiate football players and NFL draft prospects on teams representing the National and American. Only college seniors and fourth-year junior graduates are eligible for the game. Fourth-year junior graduates must have graduated by the December prior to the game to be eligible.

https://www.seniorbowl.com/the-game/frequently-asked-questions/

Looks like Strong would be good to go (RS JR) if he graduated, but Howell would not (JR)

9 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I’m hoping we get in the playoffs and that still leaves us in a good position in the first round where Ikem Ekwonu and Nakobe Dean would be available. I know it’s hard to predict that but that’s where we see them going (bottom 1/3 of the draft) in many of the mocks. 

Yeah there’s a lot of players I like in the 2nd half of the first round so if we get in the playoffs or almost get in the playoffs and are picking in the mid to high teens, there’s still players I like. 

I’m not sure if we will take a guard in round 1 when we have Wes S and Saahdiq Charles in house that can be the starter at RG next year but I’m not opposed to picking Ekwonu, it just wouldn’t be my first choice as I think we have 2 guys in house that could take over for Scherff next year.

I’d rather see us go in a different direction whether that’s MLB, LT if we lose Leno or a free safety prospect, I’d rather see that than a 1st round guard again.