2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I said before I wouldn’t touch Willis before the third. He’s going in the first round though. He has great character and I believe Rivera coached his uncle, former Hokie James Anderson in Carolina. We’re taking Willis at 11. 

Also, as far as Keim saying he believes we end up with Garrapolo and give him an extension I don’t buy it. You absolutely cannot sell this fanbase on another retread. Jimmy G is like going to the grocery store shopping for filet mignon and coming home with pork chops. Good luck selling a rebrand around a QB a team gave up an historic amount of draft picks to replace. 

What sucks is that regardless what the fanbase wants, Jimmy G or that caliber of QB is what we’re going to have to settle for bc the cream of the crop isn’t going to agree to a trade here. My hope is that as we sign or trade that caliber of QB who’s at best an average starter in the league that we also draft a QB in round 1 or 2 to compete with them & Heinicke for the starting job or to have the rookie sit for a year or so to develop as hopefully a long term answer.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, even though I know you and the rest of us don’t want Jimmy G, Jameis Winston, Mariota, Tyrod, Trubisky or Heinicke/Kyle Allen again to be our starter next year, prepare for the fact that they will be and prepare to be disappointed.

That’s where I’m at. I’m hoping for the best, but expecting mediocrity at QB again or Heinicke/Kyle Allen as our starter.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

What sucks is that regardless what the fanbase wants, Jimmy G or that caliber of QB is what we’re going to have to settle for bc the cream of the crop isn’t going to agree to a trade here. My hope is that as we sign or trade that caliber of QB who’s at best an average starter in the league that we also draft a QB in round 1 or 2 to compete with them & Heinicke for the starting job or to have the rookie sit for a year or so to develop as hopefully a long term answer.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, even though I know you and the rest of us don’t want Jimmy G, Jameis Winston, Mariota, Tyrod, Trubisky or Heinicke/Kyle Allen again to be our starter next year, prepare for the fact that they will be and prepare to be disappointed.

That’s where I’m at. I’m hoping for the best, but expecting mediocrity at QB again or Heinicke/Kyle Allen as our starter.

I don’t want a QB in round 2. I have no interest in throwing away a draft choice and that’s what we’d be doing. I have no interest in band-aid pick ups like Garrapolo who would cost draft capital (knowing our idiot front office it would be pick 11) and I don’t want throw away players who may or may not be an upgrade over Heineke i.e. Trubisky and Mariota. 

Either figure out why players like Stafford, Wilson, Watson have no interest in coming here and solve that problem or you pick one of Pickett, Corral, Howell or Willis at 11. As a fan, I will not accept another Fitz band-aid. It’s bad enough we’re probably getting a stupid name if they screw up the QB thing what reason will fans have to stick around? Get this right or just fire the whole group and start over now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Probably not the best time to mention it, after this start, but I think I’ve been settling on Ryan Tannehill as my top comp for Kenny Pickett. 

Dang dude Tannehill is a Athlete who hasn’t really improved in certain facets that Pickett already excels in. I think Pickett shows NFL reading ability in a college offense. I always felt Ryan needed to improve pre snap and post snap as far as reading coverages. I do feel like Pickett is a sneaky athlete. 

13 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

You can’t deny Willis’ talent throwing the ball 40-50 yds with a flick of the wrist (like M Vick) and his running ability. He’s not ideal size at 6’1 and 215 but is very stout. When he went against Ole Miss he struggled. He has a lot to gain in the SB, more than any other QB. 
Senior Bowl will be a very good watch how all these players do against each other. 
Love to watch the one on ones in practice. 

I think willis will be a disaster.  He is too raw.  He is a lottery ticket.  We need to make a smarter bet.  Plus he isn't even ideal size wise.  

But maybe Rivera likes this option because it gives him a couple more years.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Garrapolo sucks. Rivera better not make that move. 

The shocking thing I am finding about this offseason is all Rivera talks about is qb qb qb.   He is talking so much about it, he sure better not miss.  It sure sounds like he is planning on forcing it and solving it no matter what.

Edited by offbyone

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

The shocking thing I am finding about this offseason is all Rivera talks about is qb qb qb.   He is talking so much about it, he sure better not miss.  It sure sounds like he is planning on forcing it and solving it no matter what.

That’s why we’re a bad team reguardless of who we get. There’s no plan or vision just panic picks and reactions. The right way to go is the draft only if your guy is avalible. Then develop them. I’d be more okay not coming away with a QB this year then doing another rental or taking the position round one for a guy they don’t love. People have to understand bad teams force picks. Forcing this QB position will bring more of the same. Yes not taking on means you don’t improve your weakest position. But that doesn’t mean we can’t continue building the roster for when there is YOUR guy. Your guy mean l the whole staff and FO signs off because they can coach the deficiencies and they can groom their strengths into weapons. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

That’s why we’re a bad team reguardless of who we get. There’s no plan or vision just panic picks and reactions. The right way to go is the draft only if your guy is avalible. Then develop them. I’d be more okay not coming away with a QB this year then doing another rental or taking the position round one for a guy they don’t love. People have to understand bad teams force picks. Forcing this QB position will bring more of the same. Yes not taking on means you don’t improve your weakest position. But that doesn’t mean we can’t continue building the roster for when there is YOUR guy. Your guy mean l the whole staff and FO signs off because they can coach the deficiencies and they can groom their strengths into weapons. 

I mean, that’s fine. The issue with what you’re saying is it’s basically a perfect storm scenario. If they skip QB, which I’ve now said many times, it pushes the Rivera regime into year 4 of when they finally decide to draft a guy and by that time it’s too late. Also, all of this talk about next years draft class being better for QBs but if you spend another year building this roster we’re probably winning 8-9 games so yeah, we aren’t coming close to picking the best QB. 

They’ve painted themselves into a corner. Going into year 3 you can’t just put off the QB position again. Especially when you decided in year two it wasn’t worth giving up a little bit of draft capital to secure the guy you wanted in Fields and instead came away with what appears to be a bust at LB. So sure, pass on the position again or sign some retread and repeat the mistakes you made this season and by year 4 you’re a lame duck coach. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t want a QB in round 2. I have no interest in throwing away a draft choice and that’s what we’d be doing. I have no interest in band-aid pick ups like Garrapolo who would cost draft capital (knowing our idiot front office it would be pick 11) and I don’t want throw away players who may or may not be an upgrade over Heineke i.e. Trubisky and Mariota. 

Either figure out why players like Stafford, Wilson, Watson have no interest in coming here and solve that problem or you pick one of Pickett, Corral, Howell or Willis at 11. As a fan, I will not accept another Fitz band-aid. It’s bad enough we’re probably getting a stupid name if they screw up the QB thing what reason will fans have to stick around? Get this right or just fire the whole group and start over now. 

Well prepare to be disappointed. The top QBs on the market don’t want to come here bc we don’t have an offensive minded HC, we don’t have top offensive coordinator, we don’t have elite offensive weapons and we don’t have a recent history of doing a lot of winning & being a contender. No FA looks at Washington as a great destination to get to the playoffs and win playoff games. We don’t have anything to attract them.

We have to do that & continue to build this team as a young team that becomes a winning franchise mostly through the draft. So yes, we need to draft one of those QBs you mentioned.

At the same time, I think you’re going to be awfully disappointed if you don’t think that Rivera/the Marty’s aren’t going to bring in some veteran QB to compete for the starting QB too. They’re not going to go w/ just a rookie, Heinicke & Kyle Allen battling it out for the starting job.

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with doing what the Cardinals did. They drafted Rosen, found out he wasn’t going to be the answer in 1 year then they traded him and drafted Kyler Murray in the next year. There’s nothing wrong with us doing that over the next two years if we take someone in round 1 this but then don’t think he’s going to be a top half of the league starter after a year of having him then trading him and trading up to draft Stroud or Young in 2023.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well prepare to be disappointed. The top QBs on the market don’t want to come here bc we don’t have an offensive minded HC, we don’t have top offensive coordinator, we don’t have elite offensive weapons and we don’t have a recent history of doing a lot of winning & being a contender. No FA looks at Washington as a great destination to get to the playoffs and win playoff games. We don’t have anything to attract them.

We have to do that & continue to build this team as a young team that becomes a winning franchise mostly through the draft. So yes, we need to draft one of those QBs you mentioned.

At the same time, I think you’re going to be awfully disappointed if you don’t think that Rivera/the Marty’s aren’t going to bring in some veteran QB to compete for the starting QB too. They’re not going to go w/ just a rookie, Heinicke & Kyle Allen battling it out for the starting job.

I’m fine with bringing in a vet. I’m not find with bringing in a vet to be a multi year starter and drafting some middling prospect. So sure, if they want Garrapolo and can get him cheap I’ll suffer through a year of him starting before we put Willis/Howell/Pickett/Corral out there. I think repeatedly passing on draft prospects to find the perfect one is a fool’s errand. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with doing what the Cardinals did. They drafted Rosen, found out he wasn’t going to be the answer in 1 year then they traded him and drafted Kyler Murray in the next year. There’s nothing wrong with us doing that over the next two years if we take someone in round 1 this but then don’t think he’s going to be a top half of the league starter after a year of having him then trading him and trading up to draft Stroud or Young in 2023.

I can live with that. I could have lived with that last year.  I’m okay with them selecting a QB. Drafting QB is the best chance you have so keep trying it’s like drafting OL and front 7 defenders often to keep trench depth. This year isn’t make or break for me for Ron. We have had a ton of things behind the scenes. I need to see them prove they can develop the youth and maximize our selections and build the roster each offseason

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I’m fine with bringing in a vet. I’m not find with bringing in a vet to be a multi year starter and drafting some middling prospect. So sure, if they want Garrapolo and can get him cheap I’ll suffer through a year of him starting before we put Willis/Howell/Pickett/Corral out there. I think repeatedly passing on draft prospects to find the perfect one is a fool’s errand. 

We’re actually on the same page! It took a while but we finally got there! I would throw Ridder & Strong in with the group of QBs you mentioned above that’s why I said 2nd round QB too, as I could see either of those guys being selected by us too & I don’t think either are too far off as prospects as Willis/Howell/Pickett/Corral.

Happy Birthday Reaction GIF by Kamie Crawford

Freezing Jim Carrey GIF

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I would throw Ridder & Strong in with the group of QBs you mentioned above that’s why I said 2nd round QB too, as I could see either of those guys being selected by us too & I don’t think either are too far off as prospects as Willis/Howell/Pickett/Corral.

Sadly, I think the bolded is more a statement on the deeply mediocre quality of those guys as prospects than it is a statement on Strong/Ridder being genuine franchise QB prospects. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3