2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

20 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Sam Howell is still the guy I want. He reminds me a lot of Baker Mayfield and I think Baker is a damn good QB. We’ll see how 2022 turns out but I don’t want anymore damn excuses about “building it the right way” if the QB position goes the way I think it will this season. Go up and get your guy. 

He’s probably my favorite as well, although he would still have been at best #4 on my list if including the guys from this past draft — I have him on a lower tier than Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson. Tough call between him and Lance for me. 

Nice thing with him is that he will have the chance to prove he’s special this season. Without all those skill position weapons, we’ll learn what he can do on his own pretty quickly. If he can adjust to new weapons across the board without missing a beat, then honestly I think he’s a likely #1 pick. If he takes a step back, as I kind of expect, then it becomes a question of where he fits in the hierarchy based on the whole picture. My money is on him still going in the top 5-7 picks.

• Like 2

Man I am watching UNC’s spring game and here are a few takes. That OL first and second team are seriously amazing. Howell was making it rain slinging it great placement. I hate that he pats the ball but throws off balance with accuracy. He even threw balls away which is something I needed to see more. And their RB’s just do such a great job because the lanes that OL create. There’s a reason Williams was so hard to bring down when you have guys like that have a 4 yard runway before the first defender you can just bull or cut and it really is why UNC is in the games they are. If Howell protects himself and the football I think this team can be foreal this season. The defense has speed but it’s spring ball so we will see week 1 vs VT. Big game so excited to get to it. I want to see Howell be that guy.

Also Maye the Freshman QB for UNC looks like a junior. This guys 6’5 mobile man next year I’m going to be jumping on this guy to see what he has. Not a typical Mack Brown type Skillset so I’m excited. UNC is about to continue to put names out high in the draft

But Ace says round face QB’s are busts so maybe I can stop scouting Howell it’s science 🤣🤣🤣👨‍⚕️👨‍⚕️👨‍⚕️

Edited by ripsean21
  • Like 2

Before I go ham on Carson Strong I just want to comp a few guys. Romeo Doubs And Cole Turner and Justin Lockhart. These 3 pass catchers from Nevada. Doubs just screams UCF BMarsh. Concentration drops but just man will make amazing catches and just doesn’t have that last gear burst but is so big and smooth in stride he is a beast. You’ll take the drop here and there. Justin Lockhart just big guy who works and sells his routes this guy is going to have high end Number 2 potential and then just remember Cole Turner. 6’6” TE this guy after the seniorbowl is going to be that late riser pre draft next year. This group along with Carson Strong can really do damage at Nevada this season. Love what I saw last season and going back and rehashing my notes this group is going to make some scouts look super smart if they play to their potential this year again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

Before I go ham on Carson Strong I just want to comp a few guys. Romeo Doubs And Cole Turner and Justin Lockhart. These 3 pass catchers from Nevada. Doubs just screams UCF BMarsh. Concentration drops but just man will make amazing catches and just doesn’t have that last gear burst but is so big and smooth in stride he is a beast. You’ll take the drop here and there. Justin Lockhart just big guy who works and sells his routes this guy is going to have high end Number 2 potential and then just remember Cole Turner. 6’6” TE this guy after the seniorbowl is going to be that late riser pre draft next year. This group along with Carson Strong can really do damage at Nevada this season. Love what I saw last season and going back and rehashing my notes this group is going to make some scouts look super smart if they play to their potential this year again.

So in terms of your latest qb guy, lets have it-  Strong or Mond?

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

So in terms of your latest qb guy, lets have it-  Strong or Mond?

I mean Strong isn’t my guy yet. None of these guys have earned that but I do love Howell. He isn’t special in anything but he just pushes the ball complete confidence and he just seems to get it done. He’s a guy I’m hoping answers the questions I have left he’s a heck of a football player. Everything I’ve seen is ride with him.

As far as Strong or Mond I haven’t been able to watch interviews and read up on him off the field. Also I haven’t seen spikes in improvements from year to year like I had with Mond. Mond was 4 years of notes I haven’t had a much deeper insight on a QB then I’ve had on him. Howell I’m there with I’m close with Willis so far. It’s not just tape. It’s not just listening to what they say in a interview. It’s reading the person as they speak. And does what they say match what you see from year to year on the field. Mond is a guy that in 3 years on this roster I believed would have been a hell of a pro. I think he went to a pretty great spot to still make that happen.

Strong is just a pure QB. Amazing feet dropping back. He needs to stop predetermining his targets as do most young QB’s. But what I have seen that I love he can not only scan a field but his head and eyes he will hold a saftey. This guy is a throwback. And he’s very nice. Every scout is different. I don’t fall in love with a lot of players I loved Mond for this team. For the same reason Taylor will if given a chance outperform Fitz if both see the field. Running QB’s are a detriment. But a mobile guy who is moving to throw and can run to keep a defense off balance. In this scheme with the jet sweeps pre snap motion it’s just extra. I would have been blown away with more QB’s in last years class the the previous 2 or 3 combined. I don’t just love them to be hyped. I loved Kyler. Loved Dak, loved Herbert and Burrow, really Liked Baker. Missed Allen Loved Watson and Really liked mahomes. This are just guys that sold me. I made sure to put Allen there because I let a old number peev distract what I saw that I loved and didn’t trust my gut. If their name isn’t on this list I never even supported selecting the player. I don’t just want a QB to draft one.

Haskins was the reason I literally started watching interviews. Because he’s a idiot. I loved what I saw on the field how he progressed. Once I saw him interview all the negative things coming out made sense. He’s just simply immature. 

To answer your question I’d take Mond right now. I have a incomplete report on strong so it’s not fair because he’s got a lot to love. Just haven’t gotten enough to reference.

• Like 3

@ripsean21You hit the nail on Haskins! It’s funny, some Steelers fans are starting to fall in love with Haskins for the same reasons I did, his arm and his potential but I’ve warned them that the reason he didn’t make it in DC was his athletic arrogance, work ethic & his immaturity.

They claim that it was because he was in DC & it’s a DC problem, I told them we’ll see and to not hold their breath. 😂 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

@ripsean21You hit the nail on Haskins! It’s funny, some Steelers fans are starting to fall in love with Haskins for the same reasons I did, his arm and his potential but I’ve warned them that the reason he didn’t make it in DC was his athletic arrogance, work ethic & his immaturity.

They claim that it was because he was in DC & it’s a DC problem, I told them we’ll see and to not hold their breath. 😂 

Yeah I hope for him he puts it together upstairs mentally. But the thing that bothers me is working out isn’t a transfer to progressing the mental aspects of the game. Playing QB isn’t about yards and numbers even moreso then any other position. It’s about situations and decision making. I don’t think he has what it takes when it comes to any of that. Because even with his arm it’s not like he uses it or even knows how to drop back in rythm and throw a ouy to a spot before the WR breaks. Anticipation and processing are way to slow. You can’t be on the field thinking. It’s something you just have to do rep after rep and I don’t think he puts those hours in to actually grow.  I agree they should be cautious because a lot of guys with arm strength look good throwing when there aren’t windows and defenders or pressure. He doesn’t do any of those things well atleast to date

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So the QB tour I’m going on this year is about to begin and I’m really looking for some things this year. I want to see Willis grow with his footwork and anticipation and just fundamentals from the position. If he does this guy can be the heisman paired with his legs. Howell I’m so excited about. This guy elevates his weapons this year I think he’s the number one guy if he keeps that offense humming. Corral has a chance to gain the most. And Carson strong has a real shot to have a special season. And Brad Johnson’s son at LSU could make them a legit contender for the title. Spencer Rattler has the most to lose. He has to show he is a student of the game. He’s got a special arm. But he has to show more to be the top guy for me. Very excited for the opener with UNC and VT next Friday!!! Let the season come on!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Welp...I’ll wait for @ripsean21 to weigh in on what he saw with Howell in their opener, but I think it’s probably fair to say that one game in, the concerns about him being largely a product of 4 NFL level weapons around him are looming larger.

17/32, 208 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs, 6 sacks taken. One game with that kind of stat line singlehandedly dropped Justin Fields from the surefire #2 pick out of the top 10. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

Welp...I’ll wait for @ripsean21 to weigh in on what he saw with Howell in their opener, but I think it’s probably fair to say that one game in, the concerns about him being largely a product of 4 NFL level weapons around him are looming larger.

17/32, 208 yards, 1 TD, 3 INTs, 6 sacks taken. One game with that kind of stat line singlehandedly dropped Justin Fields from the surefire #2 pick out of the top 10. 

UDFA  !! 😊

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

He went to the same school as Trubisky, so he’s not going to be a good pro anyways! UNC has never produced a great pro QB that I know of. Haha 😂 JK, tongue & cheek bc that what’s some said about fields.

He didn’t play well last night, I was worried about him and mentioned before that he had tons of that on that offense the last few years that is playing on Sunday’s now. We’ll see if he bounces back.

On the other hand, Virginia Tech looked good, especially their D!