Grade the draft

pwny

Where would you rank this draft class?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you rank this draft class?

Having had plenty of time to reflect on this draft...i still find it an extremely difficult one to really "grade".  For a few reasons.

1.Potentially getting a true Franchise Quarterback of the caliber Trevor Lawrence seems like he could be...pretty much immediately makes this the best draft anybody could possibly have.  It's not really some "great draft" strategy or anything though, so it's hard to fully give credit there, for just doing the obvious thing.

2.Having multiple first round picks, and a well over the allotted slate of Day 1 and 2 picks overall, should inherently make for a "stronger" draft.  Getting more quality prospects early, is better.  But you have to at least partially weigh in, the cost of what was "given up" to acquire those extra picks in the first place.  That's tricky.  And it's hard not to just look at the bulk of quality "upper tier" prospects in this draft haul, and grade it generously compared to a team that made a lot less early picks.  But that's not necessarily true to the spirit of "grading the draft".  Just getting quality prospects is part of the equation...but the other part is still in "maximizing the value" in what they did with the picks they had.  And on that scale, it's a much less impressive draft to me.

3.Like pwny touched on a little bit above, it has the feeling of an extremely Boom/Bust draft.  There's a lot of "upside" to get excited about here, and envision fun things if everything works out great.  There could be some home runs.  But at the same time, it could very easily also be the sort of draft where in a couple years, we're sitting there with just Trevor Lawrence (as the no brainer pick) and Etienne as a decent RB...and the entire rest of the class washed out.  I like swinging for the fences...especially this early in the rebuilding process for Urban's regime.  But it'd be unfair to grade this draft purely on the "ceiling" scenario, without acknowledging the potential "floor".  And it's definitely a draft where beyond the 1st round, there's oodles of complete bust potential throughout.

As a whole, it kinda leaves me feeling like it was a very "medium" draft on overall balance.  But that's not a particularly accurate reflection of the potential volatility.  It's more like "medium" based on an assumption that the boom/bust gambles are more or less a coinflip.  Where 50% Boom and 50% Bust kinda gives you a middling result.  Though in reality, the volatility means it could be more like 100% Boom or Bust, and either an epic foundational draft class, or an absolute zilch with nothing to show for it.  That's hard to represent, in the terms of a ranking within the league.  Every team's draft has unpredictability, obviously...but this one strikes me as being particularly high on that index.

We pretty much won this draft 10 minutes after it started.  Only one team had the chance for Trevor, and he is proudly wearing teal right now, so the draft was a success in my eyes.

As for the rest of the picks, I have to admit that I was satisfied, but also slightly disappointed.  I loved the selections of Walker Little and Jay Tufele.  I just thought we reached on some of the other guys at the time.

After having some time to study the players, I've come around to thinking we did very well.  This draft season has been kind of confusing to me because I just don't know the team as well as I hope to know them a year from now.  I didn't know where we were strong and weak, and where we needed help.

Overall, I'd give this draft an A because we acquired the best QB prospect since John Elway, and because we also landed some other players who have high upsides.  It could prove to be pretty "meh" a few years from now, but I'm going to go with believing in Urban and his plan until there is reason to think otherwise.

Due to injury risks I'd say top-10. I like the players selected and the familiarity between Lawrence and Etienne adds to his value at 25. The second round was my meh round for y'all, but if at least one of the injured players hits, this is a great draft. Tufele was solid value there as well.

• Like 2