The Final 53

D82

5 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Yeah, I think you’d be likely to lose a lot of money betting against Goodwin and Brown to make the team.

I’m not quite as sold on Armstrong making the team. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s DE3 this year, but I also won’t be surprised if he’s passed by Basham and Gholston on the depth chart. It will be an interesting battle to watch. But he’s not going to be a Cowboy in 2022, so I could see them being inclined to ride with the other guys if it’s close.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/5/6/22421622/how-will-the-cowboys-construct-this-defensive-line-under-dan-quinn-antwaun-woods-randy-gregory

Found this piece relevant in projecting the DL- suggests Quinn kept 5 edge rushers and 5 interior linemen every year in Atlanta. If that’s the case, bar injury, it’s probably safe to pencil in D-Law, Gregory, Basham and Golston at DE and Urban, Hill, Gallimore and Osa at DT with two spots up for grabs.

I give Dorance the edge over Anae due to arm length, mostly, but also experience, especially in a 2-pt stance, and theoretical upside to recoup a comp pick (he’s only 24 in June). It’s possible they keep the guy with more years left, sure, but I just don’t see the fit for a DE with 32” arms that runs a 4.9 and played 6 defensive snaps last year. I’m probably optimistic in projecting Robinson and Mukuamu as backup safeties for similar reasons, definitely see Kearse or another vet mixing in there on second thought.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2021/5/6/22421622/how-will-the-cowboys-construct-this-defensive-line-under-dan-quinn-antwaun-woods-randy-gregory

Found this piece relevant in projecting the DL- suggests Quinn kept 5 edge rushers and 5 interior linemen every year in Atlanta. If that’s the case, bar injury, it’s probably safe to pencil in D-Law, Gregory, Basham and Golston at DE and Urban, Hill, Gallimore and Osa at DT with two spots up for grabs.

I give Dorance the edge over Anae due to arm length, mostly, but also experience, especially in a 2-pt stance, and theoretical upside to recoup a comp pick (he’s only 24 in June). It’s possible they keep the guy with more years left, sure, but I just don’t see the fit for a DE with 32” arms that runs a 4.9 and played 6 defensive snaps last year. I’m probably optimistic in projecting Robinson and Mukuamu as backup safeties for similar reasons, definitely see Kearse or another vet mixing in there on second thought.

I agree. I think Dorance will make the roster. I just meant it won’t completely shock me if they move on, either for someone currently on the roster or by signing/trading for someone after cut downs.

Goodwin and Brown, though, I think are in the Cowboys’ plans all the way.

Offense [24]

QB: Dak / Gilbert / FA 
RB: Zeke / Pollard / Dowdy
WR1: Cooper / Gallup /
Fehoke
WR2: Lamb / Wilson / Brown
TE: Jarwin / Schultz / Sprinkle
LT: Smith / Knight
LG: Williams  
C -  Biadasz / McGovern
RG: Martin /
Farniok
RT: Collins / Nsekhe

Defense [26]

LDE: Lawrence /
Gholston
1T:  Urban / Odighizuwa / Bohanna
3T: Gallimore / Hill
RDE: Gregory / Anae
LEO:  
Parsons / Basham
MLB: LVE / Gifford
WLB: Smith / Neal / 
Cox 
CB: Diggs / Brown / Goodwin
FS: Kazee / Lewis
SS: Wilson / Kearse
CB:
Joseph / FA / Robinson

Special Teams [3]

K: Zuerein
P: Anger
LS: McQuaide

8 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

They have confirmed Parsons will be starting at Mike.

Interesting. I hadn’t seen anything more than speculation on that. 

Also, the way you have this laid out makes it seem like the LEO is Quinn’s SAM. It’s not. It’s Quinn’s RDE.

Correct, labeled that wrong. If part 1 is true then this is obviously wrong, but I do still believe MP and Basham see reps at RDE/LEO. I just haven’t much confidence MP is ready for the middle. 
This also could bring another factor into play for Jaylon, as now I assume LVE could push for time on the weak side.

Going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:11 AM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

They have confirmed Parsons will be starting at Mike.

Also, the way you have this laid out makes it seem like the LEO is Quinn’s SAM. It’s not. It’s Quinn’s RDE.

I think this new set up means in base that Randy is also a "LB". In the same sense as Ware - a dude who pass rushes non stop. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I think this new set up means in base that Randy is also a "LB". In the same sense as Ware - a dude who pass rushes non stop. 

If you want to call the LEO a linebacker, and say that we are essentially in a 3-4 alignment, I think that’s fair. But at the end of the day, we can agree that the LEO is an Edge position.

The base defense still has 3 other linebackers. It’s not correct to conflate LEO with SAM. Micah may occasionally line up at LEO, but it sure doesn’t seem like their plan is to play him there full-time.

11 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If you want to call the LEO a linebacker, and say that we are essentially in a 3-4 alignment, I think that’s fair. But at the end of the day, we can agree that the LEO is an Edge position.

The base defense still has 3 other linebackers. It’s not correct to conflate LEO with SAM. Micah may occasionally line up at LEO, but it sure doesn’t seem like their plan is to play him there full-time.

I think leo is closer to a will, not sam.

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

I think leo is closer to a will, not sam.

If it helps you to think of the LEO as a WLB from a standard 3-4 defense, I don’t have any major issues with that. But at the end of the day, that position is an edge defender, usually lined up on the line of scrimmage, very often with his hand in the dirt, and very rarely with traditional WLB responsibilities.

Also, the base defense is still going to have three pretty traditional LBs. The LEO is on the field, along with a WLB, MLB, and SLB in base packages. Parsons might play a little bit of it all, but it’s pretty clear they intently to use him as a more traditional linebacker, and Randy Gregory as the edge-type linebacker.

3 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I know the D is the hot topic, but how does everyone feel about the left tackle position?  Are we in a better position with Ball than Knight, when Tyron's back acts up? Think McGovern get a legit shot at LG?

Think Nsekhe has the inside track to OT3 and Knight/Steele/Ball are duking out for OT4, but all could theoretically make the roster. On my 53 I actually listed Knight as an OG, since I could see him cross-training there to allow us to keep our best 9 or 10 linemen.

I would be pretty surprised if McGovern beats out C-Will, who should net us a pretty decent comp pick if he takes another step up from last year. The man played 1146/1147 snaps for us at LG off two injury-plagued years and just turned 24. Similarly to Knight I listed McGovern as backup C since that too would functionally allow us a free roster spot if he can play all 3 iOL positions.

My $.02. I see Nsekhe, McGovern, (might just have these two active on gamedays), Knight and Steele all making the cut as backups, with Ball having to prove that he can play and isn't a locker room killer.

Offense [24]

QB: Dak / Rush  
RB: Zeke / Pollard / Dowdy
WR1: Cooper / Gallup / 
Fehoke
WR2: Lamb / Wilson / Brown
TE: Jarwin / Schultz / Sprinkle
LT: Smith / Knight
LG: Williams / McGovern
C -  Biadasz / 
RG: Martin / 
Farniok
RT: Collins / Nsekhe / Ball

Defense [26]

LDE: Lawrence / 
Gholston
1T:  Urban / Odighizuwa / Bohanna
3T: Gallimore / Hill
RDE: Gregory / Anae
LEO:  
Parsons / Basham
MLB: LVE / 
WLB: Smith / Neal / 
Cox 
CB: Diggs / Brown / 
Wright
FS: Kazee / Lewis / Mukuamu
SS: Wilson / Kearse
CB: 
Joseph / Goodwin / Coyle

Special Teams [3]

K: Zuerein
P: Anger
LS: McQuaide

Went out on a limb with just 2 QB's but the talent in FA seems fairly even across the board so we can always add one later to keep Farniok on the roster. 

I also have all 11 rook's, mostly becuase I see Quinn wanting "his guys".  But I doubt all make it.   I also have Coyle Goodwin, though Robinson II could easily beat out 1 of those. 

Others I see on the 1st set out...  DiNucci, B Jones, Steele, Alarcon, Armstrong, Bernard, and the above mentioned Robinson II.   

Sturm likes Golston a lot. Thinks where we took him was good value, and he thinks Golston>Osa.

He notes what I’ve mentioned before as well: Golston is extremely good on the edge against the run, but basically all of his pass rush success comes inside at defensive tackle. He doesn’t bend that well, so he can’t turn the corner as a pass rusher. But he has length and quickness that guards and centers are not equipped for.

When you figure that defensive linemen only play 50-75% of the snaps, you need a lot of good ones that can come at you in waves. Between Golston and Osa, you might not have a star player, but you have two guys that should really beef up the rotation.