Jaguars Rookie Numbers

.Buzz

Do you guys think any numbers should be retired?  I'm just interested in hearing if you think any former Jaguars earned that honor during their career?

One problem you get if you retire too many is that eventually you start to have problems with having enough numbers available for the players on the roster.  It would be a nice problem to have.

26 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Do you guys think any numbers should be retired?  I'm just interested in hearing if you think any former Jaguars earned that honor during their career?

One problem you get if you retire too many is that eventually you start to have problems with having enough numbers available for the players on the roster.  It would be a nice problem to have.

Our franchise has the Pride of the Jaguars, and don’t officially retire jersey numbers. They have no plans to do so.

The Pride has 6 members; Tony Boselli, Wayne and Delores Weaver, Fred Taylor, Mark Brunell, and Jimmy Smith. The four players have never had another use their number after them and are kinda treated as off limits even though they aren’t officially retired. 

I'm not a fan of retiring numbers.

I like what we do and induct players and personnel into the pride as the name, to someone new to the sport, is easier to google and research, since the pride is all about recognizing the folks that have helped shape the franchise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MightyRx said:

I'm not a fan of retiring numbers.

I like what we do and induct players and personnel into the pride as the name, to someone new to the sport, is easier to google and research, since the pride is all about recognizing the folks that have helped shape the franchise.

I pretty much agree. I don’t think the numbers need to be retired for every superstar, though I admittedly will be uncomfortable if I ever see someone wear 28 again. 

If (god forbid) someone passes away while a member of the team, I’d agree with retiring that number. But otherwise, enshrining the players and personnel and treating the numbers with care and respect until they get used again in the future feels like a better way of doing it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 10:48 PM, .Buzz said:

Yeah, gotta be honest not sure I love #1 for him.

Tbh, i'm actually kinda into the idea of #1 for Etienne.  It looks a bit odd, but i think it also helps reinforce the idea that he's not "Just a RB".  It has a certain sort of, "general all around playmaker about town" vibe that fits what Urban is allegedly going to want to use him as.

On 5/16/2021 at 9:36 PM, Uncle Buck said:

I'm not really big on retiring numbers for just anybody.  To me, that's something reserved for truly special players with a truly special impact on both the team, and the league as a whole.  Rightly or not, we don't even have any players in the HoF...which frankly, seems like something that should be happening, if you're going to considering hanging a number up forever.

I think what they do with The Pride is plenty.  Honor them, and they're remembered...but not officially off limits numbers.  Let the perceptions of the age dictate which numbers are "off limits".  There are some that i think are probably de facto "retired".  But if at some point down the line, that no longer seems necessary, so be it.  I think generally speaking, the players and staff are pretty capable of "number policing" themselves.  There's usually enough of a sense around a particular franchise, which numbers are "off limits" or "frowned upon", and which numbers might be in a bit of a "cooling off period" for various reasons.  For the most part...i think players are attuned enough to know if they're venturing into dangerous territory, and most really just don't want to deal with the stigma or the backlash or expectations of taking on a "discouraged" number.  So it regulates itself well enough in 99% of cases.