Should Mayock and Gruden be fired if the Raiders miss the playoffs?

BayRaider

Should Mayock and Gruden be fired if the Raiders miss the playoffs?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mayock and Gruden be fired if the Raiders miss the playoffs?

We are in Year Four of the Gruden campaign and Year Three of the Mayock Campaign. The average time for a GM and HC to be allowed to show success is 3 years. 

Personally, if I was the owner, yes, I would fire both of them if we missed the playoffs this year. Reasons being: Gruden four years of no playoffs, and Mayock three years of no playoffs and majority of draft picks and free agent signings being quite bad. 

I'm pretty 50/50 if we will make the playoffs this season. Our roster is still average, and we are still ran extremely poorly. However, we do have a super easy schedule, and also Bradley might be a pretty dang good DC. 

IF we do miss the playoffs, I'll predict Mayock ends up fired. However, Davis will keep Gruden around at least one more season to serve out at least half his contract. And if Gruden doesn't make the playoffs in that fifth year (2022), he will also be fired. 

Edited by BayRaider

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

Mayock, maybe. Gruden isn't going anywhere for a long time.

It's what you think should happen though. 

And if Gruden fails to make the playoffs his first 5 seasons (after the 2022 season), I could see Mark pulling the trigger.  

26 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It's what you think should happen though. 

And if Gruden fails to make the playoffs his first 5 seasons (after the 2022 season), I could see Mark pulling the trigger.  

It's tough because I think our O is going to do very well this year under him, but he's going to leave the entire D to Bradley like he did to PG. I'd say yes Gruden and Mayock should be fired, Mayock will and Gruden won't.

32 minutes ago, G said:

YES.   Get rid of both or none. Admit and fix the mistake or expect another full rebuild and trade Carr.

Yes if they failed to reach the playoffs, I would get rid of all three. And it wouldn't be to spite Carr, the guy shouldn't haven't to go through another rebuild. I'm sure Washington would love to have him, along with New Orleans/Sean Payton. I think Carr would find a ton of success with Sean Payton and that crazy offensive unit. 

• Like 1

Originally voted yes but upon further review I say No. Our offense is playoff ready and I expect our Defense to improve this year but maybe not to the level that will secure us a berth in the playoffs.

I would hate to blow it all up and start from scratch if Gus and his staff aren’t able to get the D up to par in a shortened offseason. If it doesn’t happen in 2021, then 2022 will most definitely be the year of reckoning for me. 

• Like 1

Should we? Yes.

Will we? Probably not.

If we win 9 or 10 but miss out they can use the “progress” excuse for another year. If we’re sub-.500 Mayock will bite the bullet but Gruden will stay and get another 2+ years with a “new GM” and new QB.

I guess if we really stink out the season (4 or 5 wins) Gruden might be gone. But even with that much of a failure I’m not convinced Mark would can him.

2 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Am I the only one who would be willing to get rid of Gruden and keep Mayock?

No, this is exactly my sentiment. 

It's really a tricky question with so many variables. As others have said, it depends upon how we missed the playoffs, what if Carr is injured early in the season..... zero chance then even if we play quite well on the rest of the team and there is marked improvement across all other areas. 

I'd also feel reluctant to blow it all up defensively after Bradley only got one year and bring in a whole new coaching setup as there's no guarantee the next GM or HC would want Bradley.

I actually voted no but it's not black and white - My expectations are to make the playoffs and I would be very, very disappointed if we didnt. I expected the playoffs this past year so they are already behind schedule for me considering the amount if f money spent, picks acquired and resources available. If we were competetive (which I think we will be) and narrowly miss out I'd reluctantly give Gruden and Mayock one more season with an ultimatum of playoffs or fired, no more excuses.