Should Mayock and Gruden be fired if the Raiders miss the playoffs?

BayRaider

Should Mayock and Gruden be fired if the Raiders miss the playoffs?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mayock and Gruden be fired if the Raiders miss the playoffs?

If we hypothetically were to go 10-7 and miss the playoffs I wouldn't fire them.  I don't know if that is mathematically possible, but I'm just going to say that I'd be happy with 10 wins over a 17 game season.  I think a 9-8 record would still be reasonable, but would assume their seats are starting to really heat up.  A losing season and there better be some meetings with management on the direction moving forward.  If we completely implode and end up with 4-5 wins with a reasonably healthy roster, yeah, it's time.

• Like 1

I suppose if they went 10-7 with no playoffs, I might keep them around another year. However, 9-8, with no playoffs, even though it’s a winning record, I’d still fire them. 

Carr getting injured isn’t really an excuse. They invested in a premium backup and they are the ones who have kept faith in Carr, they are basically putting their jobs on the line that he’ll perform extremely well and stay healthy. 

14 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I suppose if they went 10-7 with no playoffs, I might keep them around another year. However, 9-8, with no playoffs, even though it’s a winning record, I’d still fire them. 

Carr getting injured isn’t really an excuse. They invested in a premium backup and they are the ones who have kept faith in Carr, they are basically putting their jobs on the line that he’ll perform extremely well and stay healthy. 

And I guess they are the ones that decimated the OL and rebuilt it so I see that as a fair point. I guess I was just trying to say that some things come up that are out of everyone's control even if they should have a backup plan. I would give them the benefit of the doubt in some circumstances such as the starting QB going down. They are already way behind schedule in my book anyway so their seats should be hot right now.

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Depends on how honestly. If the team clearly isn't making strides, 100%. But if we go 10-7 or 11-6 and play good defense, it might be hard to justify.

10-7 or 11-6 is almost a sure bet for making the playoffs....

If we missed with one of those records, that's just pure bad luck, and I probably keep them. 

Clearly missing the playoffs, more bad implosions, and lack of clear progress in certain players though....I can them ASAP. 

Edited by ronjon1990

Just now, ronjon1990 said:

10-7 or 11-6 is almost a sure bet for making the playoffs....

Last year even the 7th seed needed 11-5. So I wouldn’t say “sure bet”. 

Although I don’t bank on that happening two years in a row. The 7th seed in all likelihood will be 10-7 this year. 

Just now, Devilshark69 said:

Yeah, part of that was the nfc east being so crappy, especially early on when the afc north and nfc west feasted....like madden on thanksgiving! Lmao!

Which we get to face this year. Anything less than 3-1 is inexcusable. 

Giants and Eagles still look like trash on paper. 

Washington great D, below-average O. Slightly Above-Average team overall. 

And Dallas is an Above-Average team. Perhaps even good this year. 

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Depends on how honestly. If the team clearly isn't making strides, 100%. But if we go 10-7 or 11-6 and play good defense, it might be hard to justify.

This afc west and afc is tough to make the playoffs not like nfc where 8-8 can get you a wildcard. We literally can go 11-6 and miss the playoffs. 

I’ll say 10 wins or mike and Jon can kick rocks 

• Like 1

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/5/4/22418382/las-vegas-raiders-draft-jon-gruden-mike-mayock

Great article on the subject. Details every major move in the Gruden 2.0 era. Outside Waller, mostly big L's and questionable moves.

I don't see the Raiders making the playoffs in 2021. The question of job security really comes down to how well these young players develop. The 2019 and 2020 classes have go to show something this season or this experiment needs to end.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

We’re stuck with Gruden for 5 years minimum. If we miss the playoffs for 5 straight years under him, then I can imagine Mark rethinking his decision.

Agreed. But this is a “what would you do” thread. 

I do think Mayock is axed if no playoffs though.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Agreed. But this is a “what would you do” thread. 

I do think Mayock is axed if no playoffs though.

I’d axe Gruden after Year 5 (if no playoffs) and keep Mayock for another two years just to see what he could do outside of Gruden’s shadow.

1 minute ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

I’d axe Gruden after Year 5 (if no playoffs) and keep Mayock for another two years just to see what he could do outside of Gruden’s shadow.

So you’d basically give Mayock another 4 seasons? No thanks. Rather do a fresh start. For all we know, Mayock/Gruden were equally incompetent.