UFAs of interest after the draft

3rivers

now that the draft is over, what UFA's would you like to sign.

for me, Justin Houston would be perfect. Decent cap cost and good leadership and teaching for Highsmith.  Also p[rovides depth in case Highsmith or Watt have injury.  We rarely play OLB anymore anyways. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mwalker said:

A veteran OT maybe.

I would sign Eric Fisher to a 2-year deal.  Yes I know he's off the achillies injury, but to basically buy out his recovery and then a years worth of service is worth it.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I would sign Eric Fisher to a 2-year deal.  Yes I know he's off the achillies injury, but to basically buy out his recovery and then a years worth of service is worth it.

but will he be recovered off that injury? Even a 1 year deal would be a risk, wasn't all that great when healthy  , decent the injury /recovery could be an issue.

2 hours ago, AFF said:

Houston/Kerrigan/Casey Heyward would all be nice on 1 year deals.

agree with this. There are always really good value vets out there in UFA and these are examples.  Not only on the field , but leadership and schooling the young players is something to consider. Houston for sure, with Watt , Heyward and Tuitt would be formidable.  When was the last time Houston played on a line with that talent? 

34 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

but will he be recovered off that injury? Even a 1 year deal would be a risk, wasn't all that great when healthy  , decent the injury /recovery could be an issue.

I agree with this. If we're going to sign a big name scrub for LT, may as well re-sign AV. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree with this. If we're going to sign a big name scrub for LT, may as well re-sign AV. 

even if he healed and returns 100%, it might be a lateral move to what we had with AV at this stage of his career.  Not sure about LT this year, I thought they would drafts someone but if Banner is good enough, I'm good with that.  Glad pouncey is gone and they have his replacement

• Like 1

LT: Okung, Fisher (depending on timetable), Leno
Edge: Ingram, Kerrigan
Corner: Heyward, Poole, NRC, Steve Nelson

Bold is who I would like to make a call too. I see Edge and CB as the places I could realistically see a signing. I think they are content with seeing what former 3rd round pick Chuks can do. 

I think Leno, Ingram, Heyward, and Poole would all make our team better, but situationally -- I think the other guys fit too. Like I'm not a huge fan of NRC, but in this defense I am sure he would be far better than last year. 

2 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

LT: Okung, Fisher (depending on timetable), Leno
Edge: Ingram, Kerrigan
Corner: Heyward, Poole, NRC, Steve Nelson

Bold is who I would like to make a call too. I see Edge and CB as the places I could realistically see a signing. I think they are content with seeing what former 3rd round pick Chuks can do. 

I think Leno, Ingram, Heyward, and Poole would all make our team better, but situationally -- I think the other guys fit too. Like I'm not a huge fan of NRC, but in this defense I am sure he would be far better than last year. 

I will be shocked if Nelson doesn't sign elsewhere soon for decent contract. Ingram and Heyward would help but I still think Houston would  cost less and still could have a few good seasons left especially on this team with this front.

Every year I want the Steelers to fill out their roster with some quality vets. Every year I'm disappointed so I don't even bother. Last time they really did it was with Flozell Adams and it worked out pretty well for them.

Charles Leno was just cut. He would fit in quite well with the focus on improving the run game. Respectable pass blocker.

9 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

Every year I want the Steelers to fill out their roster with some quality vets. Every year I'm disappointed so I don't even bother. Last time they really did it was with Flozell Adams and it worked out pretty well for them.

Charles Leno was just cut. He would fit in quite well with the focus on improving the run game. Respectable pass blocker.

same here, and agree about Flo, then of course they brought colon back and cut Flo, really lame and look how that went.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if they sign Houston. And I won't be shocked if he gets 10+ sacks with this front and scheme.  Heyward would be a nice signing

21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I look at the signing of Fisher as a "buy low on the future" type situation.  Some team coming into camo will know he's not really 100% but will take the chance.  Worse case he can be a great guy to have in house to help out Chuks and Banner by acting as an additional coach for them.