Too Early 53-man Roster Projection

turtle28

On 5/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, Thaiphoon said:

I haven't seen the size of the guys we just signed, but we do need a big bodied receiver. Maybe I just missed it, but I don't think we have that outside of Harmon and AGG. Or am I crazy (which is a VERY real possibility)?

Cam is 6'5"

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

1) Milne

2) Milne

Too early to tell at this point IMO. It’s a huge camp battle. A lot of back of the roster talent there. I think at this point I’d go with Harmon but, it’s definitely going to be one of the best position battles of camp.

We’ll probably carry two guys on the practice squad.

• 4 weeks later...

QB (3): Ryan Fitzpatrick, Taylor Heinicke, Kyle Allen

Really considered leaving off Allen, given that he seems to be pretty clearly QB3 at this point and there’s a crunch at other offensive positions. But I think there’s an actual chance he’s the best guy on the roster, and I think justifies keeping him around.

RB (4): Antonio Gibson, JD McKissic, Peyton Barber, Jaret Patterson

Patterson has earned his spot. I’m not ready to cut Barber loose, not without adding another back who can handle short-yardage duties and cover kicks.

WR (7): Terry McLaurin, Curtis Samuel, Dyami Brown, Adam Humphries, Cam Sims, Antonio Gandy-Golden, Deandre Carter

The easiest way to do this is to let go of AGG and Carter, and instead keep a guy who can return kicks and be a better receiver than Carter (i.e., S. Sims or Milne). I just don’t see them bailing on AGG, which in turn means they need a return man. Carter is easily the best in that role. 

TE (3): Logan Thomas, John Bates, Sammis Reyes

I think Reyes has shown enough — in terms of physical talent, intangibles, and progress — that they probably shouldn’t risk losing him. I suspect this will be a position with a revolving door of game-day promotions from the practice squad, to allow them to get another veteran onto the active roster.

OL (9): Charles Leno, Ereck Flowers, Chase Roullier, Brandon Scherff, Sam Cosmi, Cornelius Lucas, Wes Schweitzer, Saahdiq Charles, Tyler Larsen

Honestly, I think this group is pretty close to set in stone. I see no reason to keep more than 9, and I think it seems like Larsen has the edge on Ismael as the backup C.

DE (5): Chase Young, Montez Sweat, James Smith-Williams, Daniel Wise, William Bradley-King

I still think they should’ve at least kicked the tires on a veteran EDGE, because the depth here is pretty uninspiring. Wise seems to be a climber, and like JSW he can play both DL spots. I had Toney ahead of WBK coming out of the draft, but the camp reports have seemed to be more favorable about WBK, so I think he’ll get the last spot. Hopefully they can stash Toney

DT (4): Jonathan Allen, Daron Payne, Matt Ioannidis, Tim Settle

Arguably the only no-brainer unit on the roster. 

LB (5): Jamin Davis, Cole Holcomb, Jon Bostic, Khaleke Hudson, David Mayo

I kinda think they should have done more at DE this offseason — but I absolutely think they should have done more at LB. Only 5 LBs seems a little light, but I just can’t see keeping some JAG LB over a potential contributor elsewhere. If they find themselves in need of guys like Norris or Kunaszcyk, they can pull them off the PS.

S (5): Landon Collins, Kamren Curl, Bobby McCain, Deshazor Everett, Darrick Forrest

The return of the Real Landon Collins is a welcome sight. McCain’s positional flexibility makes him a big asset, allowing me to go light at the next position. Everett and Forrest are both going to be counted on to be ST aces — I’ve seen/heard very little from Forrest on defense, so the boy better be able to cover his *** off on ST.

CB (5): Kendall Fuller, William Jackson, Jimmy Moreland, Benjamin St-Juste, Torry McTyer

With all due respect to the Lil Bull at RB, I think McTyer is probably the biggest underdog to earn a spot on the roster. No one had even heard of this guy, and now he’s out there getting big 1st half snaps. As noted above, McCain’s ability to play a little CB gives them the flexibility to dump guys like Roberts, Apke, and D. Johnson. I think this position may be like TE, where those guys will get the call-up regularly from the PS. 

ST (3): Tress Way, Dustin Hopkins, Camaron Cheeseman

All 3 of these cats are running unopposed. You can add Deandre Carter here, for all intents and purposes, because it’s only his return abilities that keep him on the roster. Everyone is worried about Hopkins, but I’m spending more of my time worrying about whether they made a mistake letting Sundberg go. 

Toughest Cuts: Steven Sims, Dax Milne,  Shaka Toney, Jeremy Reaves, TE4 (Seals-Jones?), CB6 (Apke, more for ST?)

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

@e16bball Nice job.  Think you are close. What happened to Reaves?  That's a tough cut, but certainly a crowded position group.

I am ok with putting a bunch of these guys on practice squad (s sims, milne, agg, te4, etc) with the assumption that we lose one or two.  

Edited by offbyone

6 minutes ago, offbyone said:

@e16bball Nice job.  Think you are close. What happened to Reaves?  That's a tough cut, but certainly a crowded position group.

I am ok with putting a bunch of these guys on practice squad (s sims, milne, agg, te4, etc) with the assumption that we lose one or two.  

Oh yeah, good catch...meant to include Reaves on the list of toughest cuts. Just added him now.

I think he actually probably deserves the spot more than Forrest based on play and track record, but tough to cut rookie draft choices. It already hurts letting a couple 7th-rounders like Milne and Toney slide to the risky territory of the PS.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

https://markbullock.substack.com/p/washington-football-team-53-man-roster?r=fd8sn&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=copy

Mark Bullock’s 53-man roster prediction. Highlights or lowlights depending on how you feel about it. He has us keeping 3 QBs, the top 4 RBs, Apke as the 6th CB, keeping Reaves over Forrest - our 5th round pick - as our 5th safety and only keeping 5 LBs, but I expect we’ll play a lot of 3 safety looks with Curl & McCain as two deep safeties and Collins playing more like an off the ball LB/true SS when we’re in nickel/on passing downs.

7579343a-5e2a-4983-90de-899184325b87_155

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Deshazor and Reaves .. IDK. I'd rather keep DeAndre Carter for punts .

I think Bullock has Everett & Reaves making it because of special teams and they’re good reserves over some other guys. I mean they’re clearly better reserves than any of the 6th LB candidates or Reyes at this point. It comes down to keeping the 53 best guys.

I can go either way on Carter vs Milne, but I think Milne has shown them a lot as a receiver in camp & preseason games & he’s decent enough as a punt returner - as is Humphries - where they shouldn’t have to keep Carter just bc of punt returns. 

Edited by turtle28