Players you wish we would have drafted after round 1?

Big T

Let me be clear on this, the Jets first 4 picks were major pickups, and from then on the draft really becomes about transitional type players i.e. safeties which transition to LB. It is abundantly clear that the Jets want the future LB corps to be fast and hard hitting, moving on from lumbering slow moving LB types.

So here you have an opportunity to voice who you would have drafted in rounds 2-6 or perhaps you like the draft and would have just made a change here and there. In any event I would have drafted a bit differently but the outcome I believe would have been just as beneficial.

In round 2. Creed Humphrey C

4. Jay Tufele DT/ but I liked the Carter pick here as well.

5. the 5th round was not special nor was it any less special than other teams. I can live with it if we can garner a player or two.

6. Here we hit a home run, with the Nasirildeen pick. How this guy fell so far is a mystery to me.

Note: had we allowed to board to fall to us, we would have retained our third rounders, looking back these are the players we could have drafted.

Meiner C, OG Davis, Adebo CB, TE Long, TE Tremble,DE Odighizuwa,CB Melinfonwu. 

If you could redraft some other players I'm interested to see how different the draft would have been, of all the players the Jets supposedly spoke with seems none of them were drafted this year by the Jets. At least to our knowledge.

During the draft I wanted us to draft Brevin Jordan. But it seems like there maybe some character issues with him.

The one change I would make to our draft is the Echols pick. We already have Guidry and just drafted MC2. Didn’t think a 3rd Nickel DB was prudent. Trey Smith would have been a good option there. I get the medical issues, but by the 6th, pros far far outweigh the cons.

I also like Sherwood and it’s a bit in hindsight knowing that we got Hamsah, but maybe Ben Mason at that spot.

So only two changes for me:

Echols pick to Trey Smith

Sherwood to Ben Mason

Edited by SDotNova

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

During the draft I wanted us to draft Brevin Smith. But it seems like there maybe some character issues with him.

The one change I would make to our draft is the Echols pick. We already have Guidry and just drafted MC2. Didn’t think a 3rd Nickel DB was prudent. Trey Smith would have been a good option there. I get the medical issues, but by the 6th, pros far far outweigh the cons.

Yeah I do think three young nickels is a bit overkill, especially if they decide to bring Poole back as well. I would have taken Dax Milne there but also it’s the 200th pick so who cares. 

Yeah Wesco could really carve out a nice role with us in that H-back role or whatever they are calling it these days. Wish we took Trey Smith with one of 6s instead of  more nickel corners but whatever I’m happy overall. I think with the additions via FA and the draft, the offense should go from dead last to around league average. We have a much better football team than last season and coaching could only get better. I don’t think we’ll have a winning record yet but I think we’ll steal some games we aren’t expected to win (although that could be all our wins since we’re never favorited). 

1 hour ago, Sapo28 said:

I get the Ben Mason love but like c'mon lets see what Wesco can do in that role. 

I’m definitely nitpicking as I still think the draft was an A.

Wesco could definitely carve out a spot but I think some competition would have been good.

I probably fill more strongly about changing the Nichols pick then the Sherwood. Our LB depth was bare. Now we have guys.

Like last year, it’s hard to criticize Joe Douglas. He clearly has a plan.

1 hour ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah Wesco could really carve out a nice role with us in that H-back role or whatever they are calling it these days. Wish we took Trey Smith with one of 6s instead of  more nickel corners but whatever I’m happy overall. I think with the additions via FA and the draft, the offense should go from dead last to around league average. We have a much better football team than last season and coaching could only get better. I don’t think we’ll have a winning record yet but I think we’ll steal some games we aren’t expected to win (although that could be all our wins since we’re never favorited). 

Cleveland is my benchmark. They done a great job.

I think we are right at where Cleveland was in 2018 who were q slightly below average team. Maybe slightly worse than that.

Cleveland had a coaching problem. But otherwise they would have been a borderline playoff team in 2019.

If we have another good offseason next year, I’m hoping that’s where we are. We definitely have the resources.

Edited by SDotNova

I absolutely love Elijah Moore, so I don't want to make it sound like I don't like the pick (those who have been on here awhile know how much I value WR).

BUT.......

I think drafting Tevin Jenkins at 34 would've made our OL elite. OL is rarely a bad investment, especially with a young new QB. 

I get lazy... I copied and pasted from other thread.

On 5/2/2021 at 12:03 PM, JetsandI said:

Either Jets kept Darnold and took the same deal as Dolphins for #2 or traded Darnold to 49ers for first round pick because both would end up same 2021 draft picks for Jets.   Fantasy and no further trade was made.

1.2 - QB Zach Wilson, BYU (Omitted if Darnold stayed)

1.12 - G Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC (based on traded up to 14 for him)

1.23 - WR Elijah Moore, Ole Miss (based on JD's comment about not passing him twice)

2.34 - Your Input  (My input: OT Teven Jenkins, OKST)

3.66 - Your Input (My input: CB Benjamin St-Juste, Minnesota)

3.86 - Your Input (My input: G Kendrick Green, Illinois)

4.107 - RB Michael Carter, UNC

5.154 - NCB Michael Carter II, Duke

5.175 - CB Jason Pinnock, Pittsburgh

6.186 - LB Hamsah Nasirildeen, Florida State

6.226 - Your Input (My input: C Jimmy Morrissey, Pittsburgh)

Personally, I would change nothing from day 1 or 2. Jenkins at 23 and the two thirds would have been nice but remember, Jenkins was a riser over the month of April. AVT has been talked about as a first round talent since the offseason started. I put stock in that. For JD to be so aggressive in getting AVT, this tells me he was head and shoulders above anyone else. Things we may not see. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I absolutely love Elijah Moore, so I don't want to make it sound like I don't like the pick (those who have been on here awhile know how much I value WR).

BUT.......

I think drafting Tevin Jenkins at 34 would've made our OL elite. OL is rarely a bad investment, especially with a young new QB. 

I cant believe we drafted a Wide Receiver for you and you're even slightly considering wanting someone else. 

That said yes Jenkins at RT/RG would have been amazing. 

• Like 1