Draft Grade and Re-Draft

Sllim Pickens

I have nothing to complain about with this draft. Sewell is a foundation piece at a premier position. They drafted arguably the best DT in the class and the best NT in the draft. They drafted a promising CB, a slot receiver that can make a difference. A between the tackles RB and a LB with promise.

There are a few players I would’ve liked to see however I trust Homes to this point and love his choices.

They really improved the weakest group from last year with the addition of two quality DT’s. They helped Goff or QBOTF tremendously with the addition of Sewell. They added a slot receiver which when combined with TJ and Swift give Goff a complete set of players in his area of strength.

Its an A+ draft in my view. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I have nothing to complain about with this draft. Sewell is a foundation piece at a premier position. They drafted arguably the best DT in the class and the best NT in the draft. They drafted a promising CB, a slot receiver that can make a difference. A between the tackles RB and a LB with promise.

There are a few players I would’ve liked to see however I trust Homes to this point and love his choices.

They really improved the weakest group from last year with the addition of two quality DT’s. They helped Goff or QBOTF tremendously with the addition of Sewell. They added a slot receiver which when combined with TJ and Swift give Goff a complete set of players in his area of strength.

Its an A+ draft in my view. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 7:46 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Now that we have had a chance to process it all, what are your overall Draft grades for Holmes and Co's first draft?

Also, knowing how the board fell, who would you have taken instead? 

This was a weird draft for the rebuilding Lions.  There is no way Penei Sewell should fall into their laps at #7.  I was mildly surprised by the Levi Onwuzurike pick at #41--I'd have considered WR Rondale Moore--but they got Alim McNeil at #72, virtually cornering the market on DTs despite the dearth.  And, yes, they did need two DTs.  Ifeatu Melifonwu was a bonus at #101, as was Amon-Ra St. Brown at #112.

I'd have taken LB Jabril Cox instead of Derrick Barnes at #113 but, in the end, this is six potential starters in one draft, even without RB Jermar Jefferson.  If we were looking for 2021 starters I'd give this no worse than a B.  As a foundation for later years it's at least an A-.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I had 30-40 players I liked and wanted the Packers to get, in the last draft.

The Packers got one of them (7th rounder Kylin Hill).

The Lions were just picking one 'like' after another. I thought back then that the Lions had a really nice draft............ and it seems like they did. (a lot of what I learned about players last year, came from watching episodes of 'Bootleg Football').

I particularly liked Amon-Ra, knew he was more polished than the Packers Equanimeous - your 4th round picks were pure gold. I also wanted the Packers to get Onwuzurike with their pick at the end of round one (though the guy they did get, CB Stokes, looks a very nice pick), but then I've wanted a good player to pair with Kenny Clark for years. 

Edited by OneTwoSixFive