Next Steps

WindyCity

Obviously, the outlook of this team has significantly changed. There is something to build for now that we have Fields and we have some hope.

So what comes next.

Here are the current issues that need to be addressed and how would you address them?

-The Bears need to clear 10-12 million in cap space for draft picks and in season moves.

-The cap is going up, but most are predicting the big jump does not happen till 2023.

-The Bears are light on 2022 draft capital and are going to a decent rookie class again next year to weather the cap storm.

-What do we do with some upcoming free agents, Robinson, Nichols, and Daniels?

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Obviously, the outlook of this team has significantly changed. There is something to build for now that we have Fields and we have some hope.

So what comes next.

Here are the current issues that need to be addressed and how would you address them?

-The Bears need to clear 10-12 million in cap space for draft picks and in season moves.

-The cap is going up, but most are predicting the big jump does not happen till 2023.

-The Bears are light on 2022 draft capital and are going to a decent rookie class again next year to weather the cap storm.

The cap part of this should be easiest to address - EXTEND ALLEN ROBINSON. We can sell him now on having a legitimate franchise QB for the rest of his career here, and with Fields getting paid 4/$18.8M from now through 2024 and no first rounder on 2022 the money part of that deal is incredibly palatable.

*EDIT* OR they could cut Leno. Literally heard it on the radio right after I hit submit. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

So what comes next.

IIRC, if they trade/cut Foles after 6/1 they'd clear some space. I might be mistaken. I almost wonder if Graham gets cut, although I'd assume not. They probably want Fields to have anyone possible who can catch. Agreeing to terms with AR would help, too. Cut Leno!

I think it jumps in 2022 but not significantly until 2023, as you said.

I can see them moving down once or even twice in round 2 or 3 next draft to make up for this.

Robinson has to stay now. He just has to, especially with no cap room for a big name FA next spring and with a young QB. Nichols will likely walk. They found him in round 5 and RRH as a UDFA. I think they're confident on finding DL late. Daniels is interesting- good moments, bad moments, and a bad injury. This year will show us if he's worth keeping around.

Edited by beardown3231
they literally cut Leno as I typed this :)

So what comes next.

The cap is expected to be $220M for 2022.  This offseason I expect Daniels, Robinson, and Nichols to be extended.  The real question will be, are Charles Leno and Akiem Hicks still on the roster week 1?  I suspect they will try to trade Leno (if Jenkins shows in the offseason program he can man LT) but will ultimately cut him June 1.  I expect Hicks to be traded by the deadline.

1 minute ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'd bet dollars to donuts Nichols is the right before the start of season ext this year.  Robinson they have to get done before July.

I hope so. I like Nichols a lot. I was hard on him his 2nd year but he had some giant moments in 2020; the Carolina game really stood out. It was just a guess based on draft history + small cap room.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I hope so. I like Nichols a lot. I was hard on him his 2nd year but he had some giant moments in 2020; the Carolina game really stood out. It was just a guess based on draft history + small cap room.

Nichols is the clear cut successor to Hicks and they already gave Hicks permission to seek a trade.  Hicks will be traded before the deadline this year, probably for a 3rd or 4th

I think Jenkins is the plan at LT, not RT.....Leno is probably cut, Miller probably gets traded or cut.

While Im optimistic about the Bears future, I still think this is a bridge year, and with COVID protocols still kind of a thing I honestly dont mind. Im thinking the 2022-2023 season is where we really make that leap.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The cap is expected to be $220M for 2022.  This offseason I expect Daniels, Robinson, and Nichols to be extended.  The real question will be, are Charles Leno and Akiem Hicks still on the roster week 1?  I suspect they will try to trade Leno (if Jenkins shows in the offseason program he can man LT) but will ultimately cut him June 1.  I expect Hicks to be traded by the deadline.

The Athletic's Lindsay Jones wrote there is a reasonable expectation that the 2022 NFL salary cap climbs to at least $200 million, with the possibility it is set even higher. Additionally, agents believe that the 2023 cap ceiling could skyrocket toward $230 million

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

The Athletic's Lindsay Jones wrote there is a reasonable expectation that the 2022 NFL salary cap climbs to at least $200 million, with the possibility it is set even higher. Additionally, agents believe that the 2023 cap ceiling could skyrocket toward $230 million

With the new TV deals, I think the basement for the cap is $210, if the NFL is correct in saying they will have full stadiums, $220 is the likely mark.  2023 I could see it being $230-$235

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

While Im optimistic about the Bears future, I still think this is a bridge year ... Im thinking the 2022-2023 season is where we really make that leap.

I agree here. We're not a SB team yet but if we can make the playoffs at 9-8 or 10-7 (looks weird, doesn't it?) and win a wild-card game -- especially if Dalton is behind center, that would be a totally successful year in my book. And it would position us for really good things in 2022.

Now that Leno is gone I look to get rid of Wims and/or Miller depending on what names get cut for other teams cap savings. 

Sports mockery (I know) speculated Arizona could be cutting Christian Kirk or Andy Isabella. I'd take either here if that's the case. 

Edited by Epyon

8 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Now that Leno is gone I look to get rid of Wims and/or Miller depending on what names get cut for other teams cap savings. 

Sports mockery (I know) speculated Arizona could be cutting Christian Kirk or Andy Isabella. I'd take either here if that's the case. 

Kirk for sure. Isabella is basically a younger Goodwin IMO. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The cap part of this should be easiest to address - EXTEND ALLEN ROBINSON.

Amen......now that we finally have a true #1 WR again and one who'd prefer to stay in Chicago it would make a whole lot of sense to get a longer term deal done that would get us some cap relief now.  The latest out of ARob sounds like they may be talking again.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

So what comes next.

Leno being cut obviously provides a good deal of cap relief but I expect one more...Akiem Hicks being allowed to seek a trade shouldn't be overlooked and I reckon post draft if a contender with the cap space for him is willing to give up a pick in next years draft we should be all over it...I then think Blackson becomes a starter up front but we can then use some of that cap we have saved to bring in a few vets to improve our defensive depth...Sheldon Richardson, Kwon Alexander, Avery Williamson & Will Parks are all still out there and would provide better depth than we have right now while not being able to command big money...

Next step after that is all about getting Robinson signed long term to give Fields a reliable weapon and yet more cap relief...I would then focus on getting Daniels and Nichols resigned before the start of the season which takes a lot of pressure off who we need to resign at the end of next season...

Then get working on the plan to get Fields ready to start whenever we KNOW he is ready too.