How good will Kyle Trask be?

I was startled that we actually pulled the trigger on a QB. Guy doesn’t have any ‘wow’ type of physical tools so I was not hype about it but he has other good quantities about him. He doesnt throw INTs and he is pretty accurate with his ball placement. So that’s an upgrade from INTston 

i am of the opinion that Trask will be one of the better QBs of this class 

whether that be a good backup type or a solid starter i am not sure yet

but i do think he is a better QB prospect than Mac Jones, Davis Mills, and Mond

Even Zach Wilson doesnt show as good of touch as Trask , he just has amazing velocity on his throws

i also think he could outproduce Lance right too just because Lance is so raw and needs time , Trask is more Pro ready

Trask doesnt wow but he is solid. He throws with good anticipation, good accuracy, maneuvers the pocket well i think its a crying shame he didnt get hyped up like some of these others. Hell even Mills got more hype than him because "he was a 5 star high school recruit" 🙄

i think Trask is going to surprise some ppl

• Like 1

I could argue that Trask from high school to college has about the same amount of game action as Davis Mills.

I don t understand the infatuation with the running QB.  Safest place on the field for a QB is in the pocket.  I'll bet going fwd, we'll see Mahomes not running past the LOS  as much this season.  Dislocated knee cap, toe surgery, and being choked out will have an effect on Reid's play calling, IMO.  If Trask can learn sliding in the pocket from Brady, now we got something.  Trask' s accuracy to throw the 9 route is better then Winston and Glennon.  His decision making is better then Winston.  What I like the most is Trask throws a very catchable ball beyond 10 yds.  He allows his WRs the ability to get YAC because they don't have to adjust.

The argument who Trask played with at UF is flimsy.  He threw to 2 1st rds in the SEC for 43 TDs.  In the previous year, Burrow threw 50 TDs to 2 1st rds, 1 2nd rd, and a 1st rd RB.  

I'm hopeful they let Trask take the second most snaps in training camp below Brady.  He should get the most preseason snaps in a game by far.  In BA, I trust.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

i am of the opinion that Trask will be one of the better QBs of this class 

whether that be a good backup type or a solid starter i am not sure yet

but i do think he is a better QB prospect than Mac Jones, Davis Mills, and Mond

Even Zach Wilson doesnt show as good of touch as Trask , he just has amazing velocity on his throws

i also think he could outproduce Lance right too just because Lance is so raw and needs time , Trask is more Pro ready

Trask doesnt wow but he is solid. He throws with good anticipation, good accuracy, maneuvers the pocket well i think its a crying shame he didnt get hyped up like some of these others. Hell even Mills got more hype than him because "he was a 5 star high school recruit" 🙄

i think Trask is going to surprise some ppl

He’s got that Kirk Cousins type of game to him in a sense. Doesn’t have super high ceiling but I dont think its a requirement to be successful.

Brees, Cousins, Brady, Prescott, Tannehill type of arm. I think he can be a Cousins guy top 12 at best

10 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I could argue that Trask from high school to college has about the same amount of game action as Davis Mills.

I don t understand the infatuation with the running QB.  Safest place on the field for a QB is in the pocket.  I'll bet going fwd, we'll see Mahomes not running past the LOS  as much this season.  Dislocated knee cap, toe surgery, and being choked out will have an effect on Reid's play calling, IMO.  If Trask can learn sliding in the pocket from Brady, now we got something.  Trask' s accuracy to throw the 9 route is better then Winston and Glennon.  His decision making is better then Winston.  What I like the most is Trask throws a very catchable ball beyond 10 yds.  He allows his WRs the ability to get YAC because they don't have to adjust.

The argument who Trask played with at UF is flimsy.  He threw to 2 1st rds in the SEC for 43 TDs.  In the previous year, Burrow threw 50 TDs to 2 1st rds, 1 2nd rd, and a 1st rd RB.  

I'm hopeful they let Trask take the second most snaps in training camp below Brady.  He should get the most preseason snaps in a game by far.  In BA, I trust.  

I agree completely. Cant wait to see what they say about his rookie mini camp. Guy threw 43 TDs and 5 INTs in the SEC .. and has good film against some of the best defenses in the country UGA & Bama. Bucs have some of the best weapons in the league so he’ll get the same benefit here. Plus a good OL. It’ll be hard for him to fail but my expectations for him is to be a top 12 -14 qb. Manage the game with good reads and sound judgement. Our playmakers will do the rest

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, indifference said:

I agree completely. Cant wait to see what they say about his rookie mini camp. Guy threw 43 TDs and 5 INTs in the SEC .. and has good film against some of the best defenses in the country UGA & Bama. Bucs have some of the best weapons in the league so he’ll get the same benefit here. Plus a good OL. It’ll be hard for him to fail but my expectations for him is to be a top 12 -14 qb. Manage the game with good reads and sound judgement. Our playmakers will do the rest

I agree, I doubt we'll look back at Trask's career and say he was a bust. 

Completion % isn't always indictive of a throw's accuracy.  Just because a guy caught the ball doesn't mean the pass had accuracy.  Trask has "real" accuracy, which I feel is a better quality to have then elite arm strength.  I agree with BA, Trask has plenty enough arm strength.  

Trask reminds me of Kurt Warner.  Great chance he'll never get to that level.  However, he throws with anticipation and throws a very catchable ball.  Not afraid to throw down the field, but must throw on time because he does not have elite arm strength.

Training camp will at least be very interesting.  They are going to manage Brady with limited throws and even off days.  Trask will be under the microscope plenty.

• Like 2

I think you kind of nailed it in that he's the Anti-Winston.. he doesn't have the physical gifts that Jameis had but he seems to have the mental components down. I'm not sure he's a guy thats going to lead you to a Super Bowl ala Matt Ryan, but he can be a guy that can get you to the playoffs ala "prime" Andy Dalton or Matt Schaub. 

Im not a QB expert AT ALL but just from watching some tape my takeaways: 

+ Tough, not afraid to run up the middle at all
+ Does not get rattled in the pocket. Keeps composure under pressure and even when taking a hit I've seen him still make completions. See: Georgia game where he shakes a hit in the pocket, resets and completes a pass to the middle hitting the receiver in stride for YAC and a TD
+ Gets good zip with a clean pocket
+ Shows good accuracy on a deep passes in the 30-40 air yard range
+
+ Impressive sequence from the Georgia game.. Pitts TD vs Georgia/Tyson Campbell, and on the next offensive play a 40 air yard completion to a RB where he got smacked by Ojulari a half second after the throw. Finishes the drive with a easy 25-yard TD for a nice touch pass to an open receiver after play-action.
+ Nice fade to the receiver where only he could get it on a TD pass
+ He'll take what the defense gives him if his first read isnt there
+ Did not expect to see him run for a 10+yard 1st on a RPO hah
- The offense had a lot of throws over the middle and RB passes.. not a whole bunch of NFL sideline throws on display
- Mechanics don't look great, especially when pressured and on the move
- Pressured up the middle and got off base, throwing an interception from an inaccurate and weak ball
- Throws off base when plays breaks down and can lead to some ugly throws
- Can throw high at times, but Pitts, Toney, and Grimes all have the ability to where it didn't hurt him much

He's going to be a guy that needs an above-average offensive line and an above average receiving corps to succeed, but give him that and I think he can get you to the playoffs and give you a chance. He'll never be on the Mahomes/ARod/Russ level, but a QB that can start and win games in this league is always going to be great value for a late 2nd rounder. I think if he develops into something closer to Matt Ryan then he's up after TB, if not then he's a solid backup/trade bait. He may have landed in the perfect spot with the weapons we have, if he can get the same chemistry he had with Pitts with Mike Evans and the same chemistry with Godwin that he had with Toney. 

• Like 1

Accuracy and decision making seem pretty good. That said, Trask doesn’t look like he’s got a particular strength that you can point to, which is probably why “experts” are so down on the pick.

Not particularly flashy, but good decisions and efficiency make an offence tick and make life easier for a playcaller.

We should hopefully have a competent backup in the short term and a competent game manager a few years down the road.

• Like 1

Ok I'll admit, I did NOT like this pick at first at all. All these reports about him having weak arm strength, comparing him to Mason Rudolph, etc etc got to me. Finally watched a game myself, starting with his first in 2020 vs Ole Miss.. and I feel like im taking crazy pills. He looks legit. Then I made the mistake of looking in the Youtube comment section and these armchair scouts are making the same 'weak arm' comments that I've seen before. I'm just not seeing it. 

I do think he has to work on his mechanics and his consistency there, and he has to get a lot better a blitz reads/pickups. He misreads LBs sometimes and they can fool him. But he looks a lot better than I thought he would going into tape.

He's constantly under pressure, but consistently moves well in the pocket and can make throws under pressure/while hit. I think this is a really big plus for him that's an underrated skill, so many QBs will get scared in the pocket or fold under pressure, but he seems to have pretty good natural composure for someone with very limited starting experience in HS + college. 

My notes from the Ole Miss game, with a few video links: 

• Starts game with a sideline throw, on target
  • Clean pocket, hit receiver in the hands in traffic 30+ yards downfield - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlEq2UPXrQ&t=32s
  • 3rd & 8.. Pressured, moves to the left, finds Pitts for easy 1st - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlEq2UPXrQ&t=41s
  • 3rd & 8, shotgun, pressure up middle, misses Pitts
  • Back shoulder throw from 20 to goal line, DB breaks up
  • 3rd & 6, looks off LB dragging him right, hits Pitts on quick slant coming from the left for 1st - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlEq2UPXrQ&t=74s
  • PA, hits Grimes on 2nd read for 22yd TD
  • PA, linebacker shows blitz but drops back and gets tipped pass
  • Stands in pocket and takes hit from 3 players, delivers 1st to WR between 3 defenders - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlEq2UPXrQ&t=136s
  • Pressure from middle and edge, hits toney who runs for 1st
  • Toney burns man and wide open in middle for 1st
  • Clean pocket, drives the ball with his front foot forward, hits Grimes downfield 20 air yards in between 3 defenders - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlEq2UPXrQ&t=206s
  • Clean pocket, perfect throw to back of the end zone for Toney, ~25 air yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlEq2UPXrQ&t=215s
  • Rushed out of pocket, moves left, hits WR while on the move, 8 yard gain
  • A bit of an under throw to Pitts, but he snatches it anyways. His mechanics looked to breakdown a bit here
  • Pressured out of pocket, scrambles right, throws downfield on the move for 20 yard gain
  • Clean pocket, 10 seconds left in half, from the right 20 yard hashmark hits Pitts at the goal line on a well placed back shoulder throw for a TD - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jlEq2UPXrQ&t=295s
  • Hits Pitts down the seam ~40 air yards, under throws a bit but still is able to catch&run for the TD nearly untouched. Waited and let the route develop
  • Clean pocket and plenty of time, but under throws WR on the sideline 20 yards downfield
  • Throws screen a bit high
  • PA, quick pass on slant in middle in traffic, LB makes good read and tips. Could be dangerous pass in pros against better competition
  • Rollout to the right, pressured and throws off back foot, throws too far out of bounds at side of end zone
  • Needs to get better with blitz pickups/calls
  • Pressured, throws off back foot to Pitts in traffic in end zone for TD. I dont think he throws this to anyone else in double coverage like this, but he trusts Pitts to make the play.

A couple under throws, a couple questionable decisions and throws that might get him in trouble at the next level, but all in all an impressive game for someone making his 11th start at QB. You can use the Pitts/Toney argument against him, but he played with an average/below average line and no running game, to the point where I swear there was at most 6 players in the box the whole game. 

• Like 3

Good breakdown @haveyoumetdustin. Thanks for going through the time to review/post that.

I'm not concerned about his arm strength, I think he has enough to make all the throws needed. So of his deeper balls definitely float, but he can still get it there, so i don't think it'll be an issue that plagues him. 

I've been very impressed with what I've seen from him in the decision making aspect. he doesn't try to force things he knows aren't there/windows he can't make. That's impressive for a guy that has as little game action as he did. His decision making has only improved as well as he's gotten more game action. He's going to have a few 'WFT' throws/moments early on, but I think he's cerebral and will learn quickly from those. 

I agree on throwing out the argument of who he played with. Majority of successful QB's in the NFL have multiple high end weapons surrounding them in the NFL.

My biggest concern with him, is since he is basically immobile, he really needs to clean up his footwork inside the pocket. It's pretty sloppy, but that is to be expected for how raw he still is to the position. He also gets to learn from one of/if not the best QB's ever with pocket presence and footwork in TB12, so can't ask for anything more there. 

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Good breakdown @haveyoumetdustin. Thanks for going through the time to review/post that.

I'm not concerned about his arm strength, I think he has enough to make all the throws needed. So of his deeper balls definitely float, but he can still get it there, so i don't think it'll be an issue that plagues him. 

I've been very impressed with what I've seen from him in the decision making aspect. he doesn't try to force things he knows aren't there/windows he can't make. That's impressive for a guy that has as little game action as he did. His decision making has only improved as well as he's gotten more game action. He's going to have a few 'WFT' throws/moments early on, but I think he's cerebral and will learn quickly from those. 

I agree on throwing out the argument of who he played with. Majority of successful QB's in the NFL have multiple high end weapons surrounding them in the NFL.

My biggest concern with him, is since he is basically immobile, he really needs to clean up his footwork inside the pocket. It's pretty sloppy, but that is to be expected for how raw he still is to the position. He also gets to learn from one of/if not the best QB's ever with pocket presence and footwork in TB12, so can't ask for anything more there. 

Thanks appreciate the back and forth, looking forward to more discussion on him to pass the time until preseason hah

Im glad someone else is seeing what Im seeing. Footwork/mechanics is his biggest issue, which I think comes with his inexperience, but I feel like it's one of the easier QB traits to learn. He has so many traits though that are missing from prospects. It is funny that Dak Prescott came from the same system with Dan Mullen and was underrated as well coming out of college, it's like Mullen is able to get great production out of raw QBs and somehow that's held against the prospects because of 'system'. 

I watched a game or two of other prospects as well to kind of gauge his skillset and what I was seeing with him. 

Kellen Mond has more zip on the ball and has athletic ability that cant be taught.. but watching his tape, so many times if his first read isnt there (after he stares it down for 5 seconds) he'll tuck and run. He's going to need a lot more development in areas that are much harder to learn to become successful.

Watching Davis Mills.. man I dont get him at all. Past the poor production (i know, i know it doesnt mean everything in college), I just dont see the traits to be an NFL QB. No idea why he went in the 3rd. I think he's Josh Rosen without the hype, with the upside of Kyle Allen.

Then some Mac Jones.. I kept waiting for him to impress me and show me why he's a better prospect than Trask, but so much of his production is off either go-routes or screens/passes at the LOS to Waddle, Smith, and Metchie. He also so a lot of stacked boxes and safeties biting a lot harder on PA, rightfully so because they had Najee fing Harris to worry about too. 

Watched some Ian Book for fun too, and for Hainsey (he's going to be stellar on the interior), and I really really hope we get to play him this year. He has the pocket presence of a dollar bill with a bachelor party in the strip club. It'd be a nice little inflation for our D's stats. 

Watching Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, and Fields, you can see the next level arm talent, those guys look like they can be legitimate future MVP candidates. We won't have a chance for someone like that for at least 2 more years though, and by that time we should have a pretty good idea if Trask can be a starter in this league or not. 

My idea of where the QBs will wind up career wise.. 
Trevor Lawrence -> Aaron Rodgers
Zach Wilson -> Marcus Mariota
Trey Lance -> Steve Young
Justin Fields -> Deshaun Watson
Mac Jones -> Chad Henne, possibly Jared Goff
Kyle Trask -> Kirk Cousins, possibly Matt Ryan
Kellen Mond -> DeShone Kizer, possibly Daunte Culpepper
Davis Mills -> Nate Sudfeld, possibly Matt Cassel
Ian Book -> Cooper Rush

My biggest takeaway from today.. In Licht we trust

Edited by haveyoumetdustin
added comparisons

2 hours ago, haveyoumetdustin said:

Thanks appreciate the back and forth, looking forward to more discussion on him to pass the time until preseason hah

Im glad someone else is seeing what Im seeing. Footwork/mechanics is his biggest issue, which I think comes with his inexperience, but I feel like it's one of the easier QB traits to learn. He has so many traits though that are missing from prospects. It is funny that Dak Prescott came from the same system with Dan Mullen and was underrated as well coming out of college, it's like Mullen is able to get great production out of raw QBs and somehow that's held against the prospects because of 'system'. 

I watched a game or two of other prospects as well to kind of gauge his skillset and what I was seeing with him. 

Kellen Mond has more zip on the ball and has athletic ability that cant be taught.. but watching his tape, so many times if his first read isnt there (after he stares it down for 5 seconds) he'll tuck and run. He's going to need a lot more development in areas that are much harder to learn to become successful.

Watching Davis Mills.. man I dont get him at all. Past the poor production (i know, i know it doesnt mean everything in college), I just dont see the traits to be an NFL QB. No idea why he went in the 3rd. I think he's Josh Rosen without the hype, with the upside of Kyle Allen.

Then some Mac Jones.. I kept waiting for him to impress me and show me why he's a better prospect than Trask, but so much of his production is off either go-routes or screens/passes at the LOS to Waddle, Smith, and Metchie. He also so a lot of stacked boxes and safeties biting a lot harder on PA, rightfully so because they had Najee fing Harris to worry about too. 

Watched some Ian Book for fun too, and for Hainsey (he's going to be stellar on the interior), and I really really hope we get to play him this year. He has the pocket presence of a dollar bill with a bachelor party in the strip club. It'd be a nice little inflation for our D's stats. 

Watching Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, and Fields, you can see the next level arm talent, those guys look like they can be legitimate future MVP candidates. We won't have a chance for someone like that for at least 2 more years though, and by that time we should have a pretty good idea if Trask can be a starter in this league or not. 

My idea of where the QBs will wind up career wise.. 
Trevor Lawrence -> Aaron Rodgers
Zach Wilson -> Marcus Mariota
Trey Lance -> Steve Young
Justin Fields -> Deshaun Watson
Mac Jones -> Chad Henne, possibly Jared Goff
Kyle Trask -> Kirk Cousins, possibly Matt Ryan
Kellen Mond -> DeShone Kizer, possibly Daunte Culpepper
Davis Mills -> Nate Sudfeld, possibly Matt Cassel
Ian Book -> Cooper Rush

My biggest takeaway from today.. In Licht we trust

Thank you!

i think I have been the biggest advocate for Trask even before the draft or us drafting him

i just watched tape of Mills, Mond, Mac, and Trask before the draft and out of any of those i thought Trask showed the most polish so i didnt get how the other guys got more hype

Of course, he doesnt have the arm talent of Lawerence, Fields, Wilson (Wilson especially has tremendous velocity on his throws) but the fact that these ppl on the media were trashing Trask's arm and not throwing those other guys under the bus didnt make sense to me

Mills was my favorite before i watched tape but when watching him, he didnt stand out and i thought Trask's tape was better 

Mond was the athlete of the bunch but like you said, if anything goes wrong he would just take off and i personally prefer the pocket passer

and with Mac, i felt like they were similar, but that Trask had better pocket awareness

after watching the other guys i felt like Trask was the best and was hoping that if we did go the QB route, that he would be the guy

i think the Kirk Cousins comp is really good too