Bears release T Charles Leno; signed by Washington

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

On the right side. I think this a questionable decision even factoring in the cap.

Jenkins is going to play LT for us.  Hes been working the left side all offseason preparing for the draft.  Leno was replacement level.  

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

Jenkins is going to play LT for us.  Hes been working the left side all offseason preparing for the draft.  Leno was replacement level.  

He will play LT, I know. But his experience and scouting has been based on what he does on the right side. Good luck.

Just now, Superman(DH23) said:

Fields wont be behind a soft OT.

He could be as hard as a coffin nail, but now he's going up against professional pass rushers - the jump in talent is pretty big, and being hard doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be able to match speed for speed, power for power and technique for technique.

LT is a position with a pretty steep learning curve, that's all I'm saying.

18 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Rookie QB depending on a rookie LT...

Hopefully it works. But... I'd be worried.

I'm not totally sold on Jenkins at LT, but Leno was not good. The bar to beat his play from 2020 is not high.  Theres a whole lot more upside here and I doubt he will be worse at LT than Leno was, but its certainly a possibility.  

Edited by TankWilliams
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

I'm not totally sold on Jenkins at LT, but Leno was not good. The bar to beat his play from 2020 is not high.  Theres a whole lot more upside here and I doubt he will be worse at LT than Leno was, but its certainly a possibility.  

Leno's definitely not "good" but I'd say when comparing him to most LTs he probably sits in that average tier and definitely better than a solid handful of teams trot out there. Could do a whole hell of a lot worse. Not sure assuming Jenkins steps in and provides that (with Leno's ability to stay on the field) is an easy ask.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Leno's definitely not "good" but I'd say when comparing him to most LTs he probably sits in that average tier and definitely better than a solid handful of teams trot out there. Could do a whole hell of a lot worse. Not sure assuming Jenkins steps in and provides that (with Leno's ability to stay on the field) is an easy ask.

Thats a fair assessment for his career until last year.  There was a fairly significant drop off from the average play that he had, he was bad last year.  Certainly no longer worth the contract that he was getting.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Took on a $5.1 million dead cap hit to cut a starting quality LT

lmao

I approve of this move 100%

Yeah they saved money but at the cost of OT depth. Especially if the rookie LT struggles or gets injured. 

Edit: Didn’t know the Bears only had 400k in cap cut makes more sense now.

Edited by Blackstar12

20 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Yeah they saved money but at the cost of OT depth. Especially if the rookie LT struggles or gets injured. 

Edit: Didn’t know the Bears only had 400k in cap cut makes more sense now.

Can anyone tell me what exactly the Bears are spending all their money on besides Mack?

Just now, CKSteeler said:

Can anyone tell me what exactly the Bears are spending all their money on besides Mack?

Robinson  - 17.8mil franchise tag

Robert Quinn - 14.7mil

Mack - 14.7mil

Hicks - 12mil

Total Dead Money - 18mil as of yesterday, with 9mil being Kyle Fuller alone. The total should be going to 23mil with this cut I believe.

I also noticed that Mack's cap hit goes up to 30mil next year. So this is most likely his last year in Chicago.

50 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Robinson  - 17.8mil franchise tag

Robert Quinn - 14.7mil

Mack - 14.7mil

Hicks - 12mil

Total Dead Money - 18mil as of yesterday, with 9mil being Kyle Fuller alone. The total should be going to 23mil with this cut I believe.

I also noticed that Mack's cap hit goes up to 30mil next year. So this is most likely his last year in Chicago.

Mack would have a cap hit of 30 mil, or a dead cap hit of 24 mil if cut (though could be spread if post-june 1, but then you'd have 11-12 mil in dead cap for each of 2022 and 2023.