4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It saves 9 million.

Leno was a solid player and a good 7th round player, but to me he always represented the "good enough" mentality on offense. He was average and we didn't try to replace him.

The era of "good enough" on offense appears to be over.

I didnt know he was making that much haha....He was I dont know if he was even average, if play was a GPA he would have like a 1.8 haha

I do not want Leno protecting Justin Fields.

We have to set the bar higher than that on offense now. "Good enough" was part of the reason that Mitch did not develop.

6 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

I didnt know he was making that much haha....He was I dont know if he was even average, if play was a GPA he would have like a 1.8 haha

He was more like a 2.6. He was perennially graded somewhere between 14-17 amongst starting LTs.  Every year his positioned was ignored bc "ehh we can get by with Charles but we really need x"  Nagy and Castillo probably exerted the influence to say good enough is not good enough for our new franchise QB and what we want to do on offense.

Glad that we aren't mincing words and just taking bold actions, finally.  I hope Tevin can step up to being a left tackle in the NFL.  He's definitely a good looking player but from my understanding he hasn't played there before.  

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Glad that we aren't mincing words and just taking bold actions, finally.  I hope Tevin can step up to being a left tackle in the NFL.  He's definitely a good looking player but from my understanding he hasn't played there before.  

He played some LT at OSU when needed.  He said in his interview he had played RT thru MS and HS.  He spent the entire offseason working on his left side stance because he can go right side in his sleep, also for some reason worked on snapping.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

He played some LT at OSU when needed.  He said in his interview he had played RT thru MS and HS.  He spent the entire offseason working on his left side stance because he can go right side in his sleep, also for some reason worked on snapping.  

Every OLmens nightmare is that injuries force them to snap in a game. Almost all of us practice snapping before practice to avoid the anxiety.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Every OLmens nightmare is that injuries force them to snap in a game. Almost all of us practice snapping before practice to avoid the anxiety.

I dont think Jenkins has to worry about that.  I think 4 OL and the LS has to go down before that would ever happen.  But props to him for doing whatever he can to make himself valuable.

Bit of a surprise here.  I have to wonder if Pace made any attempt at all to trade him or if he feels any compensatory pick he may get would be as good or better.  I also wonder if the talk about Pace investigating where Eric Fisher stands with his recovery has any truth to it.

31 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

This really about sums it up.  He was everything you could hope for from a 7th round pick and more.  But he wasnt good enough to not have competition at the spot year after year.  Had the Bears invested more he might have won those competitions and been better for it.  As it is, he never had to progress beyond league avg and thus never became better than league avg.  

Whether he had competition or not, going up against Khalil Mack every day at practice should have made him a better player.  He basically maxed out at what we saw the past couple seasons.  Bears got good value given where he was selected but like I said writing was on the wall that he would be gone eventually.

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

Bit of a surprise here.  I have to wonder if Pace made any attempt at all to trade him or if he feels any compensatory pick he may get would be as good or better.  I also wonder if the talk about Pace investigating where Eric Fisher stands with his recovery has any truth to it.

No comp pick for releases.  This happened the day after the draft.  This isnt a "Bears had to do this" move.  This was sending a clear message to the OL room, soft is not acceptable here. 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Does this move mean Bears maybe look to add a guy like Eric Fisher or Mitchell Schwartz later on in the offseason as cheap depth/competition at one of the the T spots?  Or are they happy with their current group, including the new rooks?

Both guys mentioned above have experience with Nagy from his Chiefs days.  I'm just spit balling...

Edited by topwop1
1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Does this move mean Bears maybe look to add a guy like Eric Fisher or Mitchell Schwartz later on in the offseason as cheap depth/competition at one of the the T spots?  Or are they happy with their current group, including the new rooks?

Both guys mentioned above have experience with Nagy from his Chiefs days.  I'm just spit balling...

Schwartz retired, and Fisher probably wont be cleared until Nov at the earliest.