Bears cut Leno

beardown3231

49 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

No comp pick for releases.  This happened the day after the draft.  This isnt a "Bears had to do this" move.  This was sending a clear message to the OL room, soft is not acceptable here. 

Ah, that's right.  Still shakin' off my Monday AM cobwebs.

Without a doubt Leno's run blocking had slipped these past couple of years and he never was a strong run blocker to begin with.  He looked like he'd also gained a little weight.  There are some big changes afoot at Halas Hall.  We can probably expect more vet releases soon.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Leno isn't good enough to block for Justin Fields.

I am glad the Bears see what we see.

Bears twitter had him penciled in on right side and wouldn't hear anything different.  

Why I prefer this forum to twitter.  Get better opinions.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

Bears twitter had him penciled in on right side and wouldn't hear anything different.  

Why I prefer this forum to twitter.  Get better opinions.  

If they knew his whole story they wouldn't even bother to suggest RT.  It was tried and it failed.

I'm still left wondering what Pace and Nagy have in mind.  Are they planning on playing Jenkins at LT right from the start?

Seems to me all four OTs being talked about; Jenkins, Borom, Wilkinson, and Ifedi are primarily RT guys who can also kick inside to play OG.

I've read about Pace having an interest in Eric Fisher but it's hard to see him as having recovered from his Achilles surgery soon enough to be available.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The era of "good enough" on offense appears to be over.

Nice to see that finally happen. That said, having made this move without having even had Jenkins go through a practice at LT is at least somewhat surprising. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Nice to see that finally happen. That said, having made this move without having even had Jenkins go through a practice at LT is at least somewhat surprising. 

That's what leads me to believe Pace has a Plan B in mind for LT.

39 minutes ago, soulman said:

Are they planning on playing Jenkins at LT right from the start?

This is my guess... have Juan Castillo coach him up during rookie minicamp and have the kid work on his sets in the off-season and into training camp. It's all muscle memory at that point.

33 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

schwartz didn't retire and fisher should be gtg by mid-august

Even if Fisher isn't 100% by then or even mid Oct. I can still see where signing him would make some sense.

While Jenkins may have some ability to play LT the others could be a disaster there.

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

Even if Fisher isn't 100% by then or even mid Oct. I can still see where signing him would make some sense.

While Jenkins may have some ability to play LT the others could be a disaster there.

as some people mentioned, we did check in on fisher about a month ago - would be interested if we tried to sign him to a cheap 1 year get healthy and prove it deal, with jenkkins at RT, then next year move jenkins over, insert borom at RT, and collect a comp pick for fisher

OR just throw jenkins in at LT and lets giddy up

• Like 1

I think at times we were all a little harsh on Leno...a 7th round pick asked to play one of the most important positions in football and he help his own for the most part...he was durable and tough and seemingly well liked by his peers...that said it was clear that he was making too much money & didn't fit into this scheme which was clear from his declining play last season...I suspect he will find a job in a more zone based scheme and continue to be an average left tackle...funny feeling the Bengals could be a landing spot for him...

In terms of ourselves we now hedge all our best on Jenkins...I am comfortable with it as I suspect a lot of short set pass blocking from this OL...Dalton isn't an athlete but also not a statue in the pocket so should be able to help him out a bit...Fields we all know is great as moving around and avoiding pressure...I have plenty of confidence in Jenkins at that LT spot...I also think the back up plan there will be Elijah Wilkerson who is a athlete in his own right with real length...wouldn't shock me to see him as a 3rd tackle/TE on some plays...I would predict we keep 4 tackle...3 guards...1 centre given the versatility of the tackles to play guard and guards to play centre.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I think at times we were all a little harsh on Leno...a 7th round pick asked to play one of the most important positions in football and he help his own for the most part...he was durable and tough and seemingly well liked by his peers...that said it was clear that he was making too much money & didn't fit into this scheme which was clear from his declining play last season...I suspect he will find a job in a more zone based scheme and continue to be an average left tackle...funny feeling the Bengals could be a landing spot for him...

In terms of ourselves we now hedge all our best on Jenkins...I am comfortable with it as I suspect a lot of short set pass blocking from this OL...Dalton isn't an athlete but also not a statue in the pocket so should be able to help him out a bit...Fields we all know is great as moving around and avoiding pressure...I have plenty of confidence in Jenkins at that LT spot...I also think the back up plan there will be Elijah Wilkerson who is a athlete in his own right with real length...wouldn't shock me to see him as a 3rd tackle/TE on some plays...I would predict we keep 4 tackle...3 guards...1 centre given the versatility of the tackles to play guard and guards to play centre.

If they plan to use Wilkerson at LT I'd say Juan Castillo has a real project on his hands.  Big guy, big wingspan, but too slow a foot now to be a trustworthy pass blocker.  He didn't ascend in Denver which is why they didn't keep him around.  We should rethink this one.  Playing Wilkerson at LT or even RT should be somewhat of a last resort unless Castillo can improve him like he did with Ifedi.

As for Leno I think you're spot on.  He was a good pass blocker in college but he's always been more of a finesse run blocker whose survived mostly due to the zone schemes we've run.  He's been consistent as an average LT and has avoided injuries so we've surely gotten our money's worth from a former 7th round pick.  But it wasn't hard to see that following the restructure of his deal in 2019 that once his cap hit reached $10 mil and above he'd be skating on thinner ice if we drafted an OT in round one which essentially we did but caught a huge break when Jenkins dropped to #39.

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

If they plan to use Wilkerson at LT I'd say Juan Castillo has a real project on his hands.  Big guy, big wingspan, but too slow a foot now to be a trustworthy pass blocker.  He didn't ascend in Denver which is why they didn't keep him around.  We should rethink this one.  Playing Wilkerson at LT or even RT should be somewhat of a last resort unless Castillo can improve him like he did with Ifedi.

I think he is absolutely a project for Castillo...I don't think he is a quality backup LT but lets be honest he is better that Jason Springgs last season and there are just not enough quality backup OTs out there...I think he is a traits guys and hopefully Castillo gets something out of him...more so than that hopefully we never see him starting a game at LT and Jenkins is durable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

No doubt about it, there is some risk to this.

But 9 million dollars for insurance of a 2nd round pick is too much.