Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I think at times we were all a little harsh on Leno...a 7th round pick asked to play one of the most important positions in football and he help his own for the most part...he was durable and tough and seemingly well liked by his peers...that said it was clear that he was making too much money & didn't fit into this scheme which was clear from his declining play last season...I suspect he will find a job in a more zone based scheme and continue to be an average left tackle...funny feeling the Bengals could be a landing spot for him...

In terms of ourselves we now hedge all our best on Jenkins...I am comfortable with it as I suspect a lot of short set pass blocking from this OL...Dalton isn't an athlete but also not a statue in the pocket so should be able to help him out a bit...Fields we all know is great as moving around and avoiding pressure...I have plenty of confidence in Jenkins at that LT spot...I also think the back up plan there will be Elijah Wilkerson who is a athlete in his own right with real length...wouldn't shock me to see him as a 3rd tackle/TE on some plays...I would predict we keep 4 tackle...3 guards...1 centre given the versatility of the tackles to play guard and guards to play centre.

 

Leno had a great career for a 7th round pick and was durable and reliable.

But I think we are moving into a phase where that isn't enough. I think they have finally realized that "good enough" on the OL doesn't beat the Eagles or Saints in the playoffs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, Leno far exceeded expectations for a 7th rounder.  He was good, certainly not great.  He has declined the last two years after a great 2018.  He'll be a good player for a team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember twe were looking at cut ups of Leno from last year just standing there and doing nothing to block opposing defenders while the play was still going and now suddenly I see all over twitter people saying how Bears should be careful what they wish for by cutting him loose? Lol nah man... I mean maybe there's a slim chance this move comes back to bite them ...but IMO it was long overdue. We just never had any better options at replacing him.  Factor in the money saved by releasing him and it's a no brainer.

Leno is a really good dude just like Mitch is...but at the end of the day they just weren't/aren't good enough to start full time

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I remember we were looking at cut ups of Leno from last year just standing there and doing nothing to block opposing defenders while the play was still going and now suddenly I see all over twitter people saying how Bears should be careful what they wish for by cutting him loose? 

Apparently, those people are idiots. We also looked at a lot of clips of Leno simply falling down last year, as well. 

From whatever he was early in his career, Leno is clearly second string (AT BEST) now...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll give Pace a nod for treating Leno well like the loyal vet he's been and setting him free early enough to get picked up elsewhere.  LT with his experience and lack of injuries are rare and at the very worst he'll find a home as backup somewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I remember twe were looking at cut ups of Leno from last year just standing there and doing nothing to block opposing defenders while the play was still going and now suddenly I see all over twitter people saying how Bears should be careful what they wish for by cutting him loose? Lol nah man... I mean maybe there's a slim chance this move comes back to bite them ...but IMO it was long overdue. We just never had any better options at replacing him.  Factor in the money saved by releasing him and it's a no brainer.

Leno is a really good dude just like Mitch is...but at the end of the day they just weren't/aren't good enough to start full time

Thank you!  

Twitter kids grab onto these narratives like they are the Gospel.

This idea that Leno is this extremely useful perfectly average LT that quietly makes all his blocks said over and over on that site is driving me insane.

Muh analytics.   Did you see the analytics?   No.  I have only been watching O line play for 35 years.   

Sorry I didn’t see your tiny worksheet filled out by an 18 year old trying to look at 5 guys at same time in real time nor do I put a lot of weight in it.   

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Leno isn't our LT in 2021 and that's all I got.

I think a problem the Bears have had on the OL is that they are constantly moving guys around. Whitehair and Daniels constantly flip flopping. Ifedi inside and outside.

If this move was to clear space and to put Jenkins at LT and let him develop there without interruption I think it is a solid move.

Because we always new Leno was not going to be the LT in 2022, why spend 2021 with guys out of place.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Thank you!  

Twitter kids grab onto these narratives like they are the Gospel.

This idea that Leno is this extremely useful perfectly average LT that quietly makes all his blocks said over and over on that site is driving me insane.

Muh analytics.   Did you see the analytics?   No.  I have only been watching O line play for 35 years.   

Sorry I didn’t see your tiny worksheet filled out by an 18 year old trying to look at 5 guys at same time in real time nor do I put a lot of weight in it.   

 

 

Eh, I HATED Leno in run blocking in 2018; watching tons of film of Trubisky to make up my mind on him (Hint: I was wrong) I kept watching Leno fail especially on outside zone stuff.  At the same time, he was obviously a great value on his rookie contract, and frankly even on his second contract I think he was... fine.  I'm glad he's gone, but can see the worry about expecting a rookie to start at tackle right away. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, soulman said:

I'll give Pace a nod for treating Leno well like the loyal vet he's been and setting him free early enough to get picked up elsewhere.  LT with his experience and lack of injuries are rare and at the very worst he'll find a home as backup somewhere.

most teams will do this to make sure they get guys they want in the draft. i agree with you cutting him as soon as possible is best for him. if we kept him through training camp to battle jenkins, then cut him, he would likely make significantly less than he would now. teams that missed out on guys in the draft are now available for him - really expect the colts to come calling

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

most teams will do this to make sure they get guys they want in the draft. i agree with you cutting him as soon as possible is best for him. if we kept him through training camp to battle jenkins, then cut him, he would likely make significantly less than he would now. teams that missed out on guys in the draft are now available for him - really expect the colts to come calling

We also need the money right now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Locked on Bears and twitter is like Leno and Massie are way better than Teven and Ifedi.   Bears are in trouble at OT whereas before they weren't is implication.  

I don't understand why they under rate Ifedi so strongly and overrate Leno and Massie so much.    Leno and Massie are not good NFL OTs.  Not even close.  They are players that maximize their talent, but their talent is small.   

I get Teven is a rookie and untested and could bust, but from a pure athletic and talent standpoint - Teven and Ifedi are far, far, far better than Leno and Massie.

Give me that pair over Leno and Massie all day in 2021.

To me this is an upgrade from day one as Ifedi was better than Massie and potential for a far greater upgrade if Teven plays well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

most teams will do this to make sure they get guys they want in the draft. i agree with you cutting him as soon as possible is best for him. if we kept him through training camp to battle jenkins, then cut him, he would likely make significantly less than he would now. teams that missed out on guys in the draft are now available for him - really expect the colts to come calling

They came to mind for me as well.

Releasing Leno also created the cap space needed to sign the draftees and then some and that may also have forced Pace's hand as far as releasing him now but I don't expect he'll have all that long to wait before being signed by Indy or someone else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Locked on Bears and twitter is like Leno and Massie are way better than Teven and Ifedi.   Bears are in trouble at OT whereas before they weren't is implication.  

I don't understand why they under rate Ifedi so strongly and overrate Leno and Massie so much.    Leno and Massie are not good NFL OTs.  Not even close.  They are players that maximize their talent, but their talent is small.   

I get Teven is a rookie and untested and could bust, but from a pure athletic and talent standpoint - Teven and Ifedi are far, far, far better than Leno and Massie.

Give me that pair over Leno and Massie all day in 2021.

To me this is an upgrade from day one as Ifedi was better than Massie and potential for a far greater upgrade if Teven plays well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The only concern I have is whether or not Jenkins can adapt to playing LT full time.  When I watch his videos what I see is a plug and play NFL ready RT.  He's a beast.  He plays angry and to dominate his opponent.  That won't come as easy in the NFL but there's nothing about him I've seen that even whispers he'll fail.

If we could have just one more thing break right for us it would be Eric Fisher having recovered enough from his Achilles injury to be able to start practicing again by late summer and we can sign him before then.  I'd be far more comfortable if we had another LT on the roster in the event Jenkins doesn't adapt quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...