Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, soulman said:

The only concern I have is whether or not Jenkins can adapt to playing LT full time.  When I watch his videos what I see is a plug and play NFL ready RT.  He's a beast.  He plays angry and to dominate his opponent.  That won't come as easy in the NFL but there's nothing about him I've seen that even whispers he'll fail.

If we could have just one more thing break right for us it would be Eric Fisher having recovered enough from his Achilles injury to be able to start practicing again by late summer and we can sign him before then.  I'd be far more comfortable if we had another LT on the roster in the event Jenkins doesn't adapt quickly.

Most of best pass rushers in NFL rush from right side more than left now a days.   But that is just because of this tradition that weaker pass blocker lines up on right.   So they attack the weaker guy.     

 You can line TE up just as easy on left side as right to protect a tackle or change splits of edge rusher any time you want to either side.  No rule against it.  

The LT vs RT dilemma is largely a myth and hasn't been a thing in many years.   Teams just are used to making their O line a bit stronger to right and better protected to left.  Nothing says it has to be that way.   

There is a difference in which way you kick slide which can effect some guys if they haven't practice both sides much.   But I think it is overrated.   Not like moving from g to T.

Teams are going to line up their best guy and attack your weaker T whether he is on right or left.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soulman said:

If we could have just one more thing break right for us it would be Eric Fisher having recovered enough from his Achilles injury to be able to start practicing again by late summer and we can sign him before then.  I'd be far more comfortable if we had another LT on the roster in the event Jenkins doesn't adapt quickly.

I'm convinced Jenkins can play LT, but adding Fisher would be phenomenal. I don't know how we'd be able to pay him, though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t want to further compromise our 2022 cap space. That is the real year we should be taking a big leap.

Making a bunch of short term moves to try and win this year will leave us light on resources next year when we really want to make a jump.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

The LT vs RT dilemma is largely a myth and hasn't been a thing in many years.   Teams just are used to making their O line a bit stronger to right and better protected to left.  Nothing says it has to be that way.   

There is a difference in which way you kick slide which can effect some guys if they haven't practice both sides much.   But I think it is overrated.   Not like moving from g to T.

Jenkins comfort playing on the left side is what concerns me not the old "blind side" stuff.  Mack is more typically lined up against a RT as is (was) Von Miller here in Denver.  In all honesty I don't see how could fall below Leno as far as is overall ability to play at LT but it would still be nice to have a guy whose been a LT most of his career on the roster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm convinced Jenkins can play LT, but adding Fisher would be phenomenal. I don't know how we'd be able to pay him, though. 

It would depend upon the cost and how we structured any deal he agreed to.  He's coming off Achilles surgery.  To think that's he'll be 100% by early Sept. is pretty optimistic and it doesn't look like KC is ready to throw the towel in on him just yet so who knows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, soulman said:

It would depend upon the cost and how we structured any deal he agreed to.  He's coming off Achilles surgery.  To think that's he'll be 100% by early Sept. is pretty optimistic and it doesn't look like KC is ready to throw the towel in on him just yet so who knows.

K.C. cut him, then traded for Orlando Brown, so I think Fisher's free and clear. But yeah, Sept. is WAY too optimistic for his return. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

K.C. cut him, then traded for Orlando Brown, so I think Fisher's free and clear. But yeah, Sept. is WAY too optimistic for his return. 

I know they released him but they're still reporting on his condition as if they would consider re-signing him when healthy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1) We can't afford Fisher. so it aint happening.   

2) He is coming off an injury and isn't likely to be 100% for this season.  

3) He is more likely to get hurt again.  

I'd rather roll with Jenkins on a rookie deal.   Plus, he is like 10x more physical than Fisher.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Something else dawned on me last night.  Hambright played LT both at OK St. and Colorado.  They've spec'd him as an OG due mostly to his lack of arm length I suspect but he's a good athlete and has enough experience at LT that he may be a potential left side swing guy.

If the plan is to build around Jenkins at LT and Borom at RT it would probably make more sense to stick with that plan and not shift them from the sides they'd like them to start at.  I'd rather find out sooner than later whether or not that plan is gonna pan out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soulman said:

Something else dawned on me last night.  Hambright played LT both at OK St. and Colorado.  They've spec'd him as an OG due mostly to his lack of arm length I suspect but he's a good athlete and has enough experience at LT that he may be a potential left side swing guy.

If the plan is to build around Jenkins at LT and Borom at RT it would probably make more sense to stick with that plan and not shift them from the sides they'd like them to start at.  I'd rather find out sooner than later whether or not that plan is gonna pan out.

i have no doubt thats one of the top two reasons they cut leno ($ being the other) - let jenkins spend the next 3-4 months before the season starts practicing specifically at LT, instead of flipping back and forth between the two sides

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2021 at 10:00 AM, WindyCity said:

I think a problem the Bears have had on the OL is that they are constantly moving guys around. Whitehair and Daniels constantly flip flopping. Ifedi inside and outside.

If this move was to clear space and to put Jenkins at LT and let him develop there without interruption I think it is a solid move.

Because we always new Leno was not going to be the LT in 2022, why spend 2021 with guys out of place.

I don't disagree.  But at the same time, had they not been versatile enough to switch positions and still perform at high enough level then where would be now?

I think switching Daniels to C was only because that was his natural position in College and they felt comfortable enough with WHitehair.

Edited by JAF-N72EX
Link to post
Share on other sites

It would probably be best if they kept Whitehair at LG where he's excelled especially if Jenkins is gonna immediately be asked to start at LT.

Hambright got a few starts at LG last year and was a college LT at both Colorado and OK State so at least initially he might be penciled in as a backup at both LG and LT but also subject to whatever competition we've brought in for those spots in addition to Bars.

I'm thinking that Daniels is pegged to start at RG and Ifedi RT with Borom initially being worked at both spots to see where he best fits.  Bars is also in the mix as a swing guy on the right side and there's Wilkinson as well.

Mustipher appears to have carved out a starting job for himself at OC but whose his competition?  Eiselen?

It's always about starting your best five but who are the best eight or nine since that's how many OL usually make the 53 man roster?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, soulman said:

It would probably be best if they kept Whitehair at LG where he's excelled especially if Jenkins is gonna immediately be asked to start at LT.

Hambright got a few starts at LG last year and was a college LT at both Colorado and OK State so at least initially he might be penciled in as a backup at both LG and LT but also subject to whatever competition we've brought in for those spots in addition to Bars.

I'm thinking that Daniels is pegged to start at RG and Ifedi RT with Borom initially being worked at both spots to see where he best fits.  Bars is also in the mix as a swing guy on the right side and there's Wilkinson as well.

Mustipher appears to have carved out a starting job for himself at OC but whose his competition?  Eiselen?

It's always about starting your best five but who are the best eight or nine since that's how many OL usually make the 53 man roster?

For me when all is said and done if we keep 8 OL there is only one spot truly up for grabs...

Jenkins...Ifedi...Borom...Wilkinson

Whitehair...Daniels

Mustipher

That leaves Bars and Hambright to fight it out for the other spot as mainly a guard...if Hambright can also show an ability to play tackle he could be the pick for that last spot.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

For me when all is said and done if we keep 8 OL there is only one spot truly up for grabs...

Jenkins...Ifedi...Borom...Wilkinson

Whitehair...Daniels

Mustipher

That leaves Bars and Hambright to fight it out for the other spot as mainly a guard...if Hambright can also show an ability to play tackle he could be the pick for that last spot.

 

Not a big fan of Wilkinson at all.  Denver would have kept him to backup Ja'Wuan James if he was any good.  Now James is out with an Achilles and they're taking a look at Massie as a starting RT.  Guess we'll see what Castillo can do with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...