Predict the Final 53: The Way Too Early Edition of 2021

swede700

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m sure it’s possible that they could IR Darrisaw, but if they want him to play again this year, they’ll have to cut down to 53 with him on the roster. 

Couldn't they put him on the PUP? Or would they have had to do that already? I'm not really sure how that works

Final prediction, before any reported cuts come out...

QB (2): Cousins, Mond (PS: Browning)

RB (4): Cook, Mattison, Abdullah, Ngwangwu (PS: Rose)

FB (1): Ham

WR (6): Jefferson, Thielen, Westbrook, Osborn, Smith-Marsette, Beebe (PS: Phylior, Chisena)

TE (4): Smith Jr., Conklin, Davidson, Dillon (PS: Zylstra)

OT (4): Darrisaw, O'Neill, Hill, Brandel

OG (3😞 Cleveland, Udoh, Davis (PS: Hinton)

C (2): Bradbury, Cole

DE (4): Hunter, Wonnum, Griffen, Jones II (PS: Mata'afa; Weatherly traded for a 7th)

DT (5): Pierce, Tomlinson, Richardson, Watts, Lynch

OLB (4): Barr, Vigil, Connelly, Dye (PS: Lynch)

ILB (2): Kendricks, Surratt

CB (6): Peterson, Breeland, Alexander, Dantzler, Boyd, Hand (PS: Smith

SAF (3): Smith, Woods, Bynum (PS: Metellus, Dorn)

K (1): Someone not currently on the roster

P (1): Britton Colquitt

LS (1): Andrew DePoala

On 8/29/2021 at 5:39 PM, mattyice0401 said:

When do the final roster cut come into play? Im interested to see if AJ Rose makes the squad or not.

As well as he played, it's still probably only a 1% chance that he makes the squad.  I imagine that, unless claimed though, he's a cinch for the practice squad.  

Griffen, a vested veteran, is not subject to waivers, meaning he can wait for Minnesota to make subsequent moves with the hopes he returns to the active roster this week.

That is good to hear, I assume Holmes is cut once they bring Griffen back.  honestly I would have rather kept Hercules around than Holmes if it is just for a bit.  And with how Willekes was playing DT at times and giving great effort, would love for him to make the practice squad.  James Lynch it is cool he made it but odd because he did not really standout in the preseason but the depth at DT is not great so that is probably why.  I assume if Twyman could play he would have taken that spot instead of Lynch.  

Kind of surprised they kept Metellus over Dorn, Dorn seemed to make more plays at safety than Metellus did but maybe it was a special teams move and they like Metellus on special teams.  

Awesome that Connelly made the roster, he showed surprising range and athletic ability against KC I thought.  Also interesting they kept Blake Lynch when they already have Dye and Surratt as well.  That could change once Barr comes back.

The Chris Herndon thing at TE was almost a must because cannot reply on Brandon Dillon only because he is not a real threat at TE.  They could have got a cheaper guy off waivers but would not have been as experienced as Herndon.  Herndon is athletic and talented, very similar physical skill set and size to Irv Smith so it could work well for his replacement for awhile.

Kind of odd they did not keep three running backs but maybe they think they can hind Ameer or Rose on the PS until needed.  Also sucks at OT with such little depth, like I have said before would have been nice is Ezra Cleveland would have got some playing time at LT to see if that is an option if someone goes down.  Because as of now I doubt Darrisaw even plays this year based on how things have went with him physically but who knows.

The Metellus move was all about special teams.  As far as Hercules, I've never seen enough from him to keep him over Holmes, who has better size and provides better depth at multiple positions than him, even if not all that special either.  

In the end, I think most of the "surprising" moves had more to do with special teams than anything regarding position depth.  It's why a guy like Chisena was kept again, despite offering absolutely nothing at the WR position.  

22 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

Wonder how many of the vets we are going to bring back  that we cut yesterday like Everson and Ameer.

Word out there is Griffen, DePaola, and Abdullah. 

Which would still mean that two more moves would be needed after Nwangwu and Smith are put on IR. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

is this a new "loophole"? i had no idea that vets of a certain designation weren't subject to waivers so you could just cut as many of them that have no dead money, keep the players you want and when you put them on IR to return just sign the vets back at the exact same contract. there was about $717K of dead money on colquitt's deal (this year and next) so i wonder what they agreed to bring him back on.

8 hours ago, whitehops said:

is this a new "loophole"? i had no idea that vets of a certain designation weren't subject to waivers so you could just cut as many of them that have no dead money, keep the players you want and when you put them on IR to return just sign the vets back at the exact same contract. there was about $717K of dead money on colquitt's deal (this year and next) so i wonder what they agreed to bring him back on.

I think it was never worth putting players on IR before if there was a chance of them playing in the season

• Like 1