2021 Season 53-man Roster Predictions

19 hours ago, incognito_man said:

QB: Love || Bridgewater (2)

RB: Jones || Dillon || Hill (3)

WR: Adams || MVS || Lazard || Rodgers || Funchess || ESB (6)

TE: Tonyan || Lewis || Deguara || Sternberger (4)

OL: Bakh || Jenkins || Myers || Newman || Turner || Stepaniak || CVL || Patrick || Nijman || Runyan (10)

DL: Clark || Jones || Lowry || Keke || Slaton (5)

LB: Smith || Smith || Gary || Summers || Barnes || Martin || McDuffie || Ramsey || Burks (9)

DB: Alexander || King || Amos || Savage || Stokes || Surtain || Sullivan || Scott || Jean-Charles || Uphoff || Hollman (11)

ST: Crosby || Scott || Bradley (3) 

Offense: 25

Defense: 25

ST: 3

If you are right 6-10 baby all day. 

14 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I like incognito's, intriguing and entertaining.

'Ray's is more realistic, but I hate it because it still has m***er f***ing REDMOND on it.  Sorry- it just want him gone.

We re-signed him too and then drafted a player that drew a direct comparison to Redmond. 

Redmond might just be the new Jarrett Bush...

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Redmond was our best ST player last year.

And our STs sucked.  You could've been our best STs player last year.  Nobody on our STs earned any rights heading into this year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

And our STs sucked.  You could've been our best STs player last year.  Nobody on our STs earned any rights heading into this year.

I have to agree. You look at guys like Jean-Charles, McDuffie, and even Amari Rodgers and each of them excelled on ST's. I'm very confident McDuffie can knock Ty Summers off the final 53; especially if he continues to excel on ST's. 

QB (2): Rodgers, Love - 12 will be back. Love is QB 2. No need for QB 3. 

RB (3): Jones, Dillon, Hill -- pretty simple here. Hill replaces Jamaal and beats out Dexter for RB 3. 

TE/HB (5): Tonyan, Lewis, Sternberger, Deguara, Dafney -- seems like a lot of TEs but I just don't see a cut here. Dafney did enough late in the year to carry over and earn another spot (ST play as well). Deguara will be back and you have to give Sternberger at least one more year to do something. 

WR (5): Adams, MVS, Funchess, Rodgers, Lazard - back to a 5-man rotation like in days-past and it's a pretty solid one. ESB is a cut this year as he adds nothing on ST and is in a contract year anyways. Funchess replaces him and you've added Amari as your slot/gadget guy. 

OL (9): Bakh, Jenkins, Patrick, Turner, Runyan, Myers, Newman, Stepaniak, Nijman - lot of competition this TC for spots on this OL group. I see about 7 locks including the two rookies (Myers and Newman), and I think they go with 9 guys in total with Stepaniak and Nijman getting those last two spots. 

DL: (5): Clark, Keke, Lancaster, Slaton, (Lowry or Free Agent) - this is a weaakkkk group overall. By far my least favorite group on this team as it currently stands. That could change overnight if Gutey makes a move to add a good player. Right now, I couldn't even find 5 guys worthy of a spot on the 53 and frankly, Lowry probably should go as well, but you can't cut him given the current crop of replacements. This is GB's No. 1 need going into the second FA period after the draft. 

EDGE (5): Z. Smith, P. Smith, Gary, Garvin, Ramsey - still some question behind Gary for the No. 4 EDGE spot (which could see some substantial PT depending on how much Z/Gary play inside). Last year Ramsey and Garvin were barely playable there and luckily we didn't have any injury issues. Garvin is the best hope for a 2nd year jump. Ramsey kind of is what he is, which is a better ST player than EDGE. A journeyman FA wouldn't be a terrible idea as insurance but it's probably a luxury we can't afford. 

ILB (5): Barnes, Martin, Summers, McDuffie, Free Agent - Gute mentioned likely adding an ILB so I think we'll see some type of addition here. Barnes and Martin hopefully will each take a jump in year 2 and be the starters. Summers makes the team with ST play and he's a decent backup. Burks is gone as McDuffie comes in a replaces him on STs and offers more upside at the ILB position. 

CB (6): Alexander, King, Sullivan, Stokes, Jean-Charles, Hollman - CB should offer a ton of good competition in TC. You basically have 4 locks including Stokes and then maybe 3-4 guys fighting for likely 2 spots. I really like the Jean-Charles pick and I think he secures the back-up slot spot behind Sully. The final spot I give to Hollman over Jackson. For one, I like Hollman better as a CB, and second, while not overly significant, he's cheaper. I think GB tries to trade Jackson for a conditional 6-7 rounder before cut-down day. 

S (5): Savage, Amos, Scott, Redmond, Black - 4 locks here and I think the Packers like Black based on his rise to the active roster last season. 

ST (3): Crosby, Scott, Bradley - no surprises here. 

Offense: 24

Defense: 26

Edited by packfanfb

On 5/8/2021 at 8:45 PM, packfanfb said:

RB (3): Jones, Dillon, Hill -- pretty simple here. Hill replaces Jamaal and beats out Dexter for RB 3. 

TE/HB (5): Tonyan, Lewis, Sternberger, Deguara, Dafney -- seems like a lot of TEs but I just don't see a cut here. Dafney did enough late in the year to carry over and earn another spot (ST play as well). Deguara will be back and you have to give Sternberger at least one more year to do something. 

WR (5): Adams, MVS, Funchess, Rodgers, Lazard - back to a 5-man rotation like in days-past and it's a pretty solid one. ESB is a cut this year as he adds nothing on ST and is in a contract year anyways. Funchess replaces him and you've added Amari as your slot/gadget guy. 

OL (9): Bakh, Jenkins, Patrick, Turner, Runyan, Myers, Newman, Stepaniak, Nijman - lot of competition this TC for spots on this OL group. I see about 7 locks including the two rookies (Myers and Newman), and I think they go with 9 guys in total with Stepaniak and Nijman getting those last two spots. 

DL: (5): Clark, Keke, Lancaster, Slaton, (Lowry or Free Agent) - this is a weaakkkk group overall. By far my least favorite group on this team as it currently stands. That could change overnight if Gutey makes a move to add a good player. Right now, I couldn't even find 5 guys worthy of a spot on the 53 and frankly, Lowry probably should go as well, but you can't cut him given the current crop of replacements. This is GB's No. 1 need going into the second FA period after the draft. 

EDGE (5): Z. Smith, P. Smith, Gary, Garvin, Ramsey - still some question behind Gary for the No. 4 EDGE spot (which could see some substantial PT depending on how much Z/Gary play inside). Last year Ramsey and Garvin were barely playable there and luckily we didn't have any injury issues. Garvin is the best hope for a 2nd year jump. Ramsey kind of is what he is, which is a better ST player than EDGE. A journeyman FA wouldn't be a terrible idea as insurance but it's probably a luxury we can't afford. 

ILB (5): Barnes, Martin, Summers, McDuffie, Free Agent - Gute mentioned likely adding an ILB so I think we'll see some type of addition here. Barnes and Martin hopefully will each take a jump in year 2 and be the starters. Summers makes the team with ST play and he's a decent backup. Burks is gone as McDuffie comes in a replaces him on STs and offers more upside at the ILB position. 

CB (6): Alexander, King, Sullivan, Stokes, Jean-Charles, Hollman - CB should offer a ton of good competition in TC. You basically have 4 locks including Stokes and then maybe 3-4 guys fighting for likely 2 spots. I really like the Jean-Charles pick and I think he secures the back-up slot spot behind Sully. The final spot I give to Hollman over Jackson. For one, I like Hollman better as a CB, and second, while not overly significant, he's cheaper. I think GB tries to trade Jackson for a conditional 6-7 rounder before cut-down day. 

S (5): Savage, Amos, Scott, Redmond, Black - 4 locks here and I think the Packers like Black based on his rise to the active roster last season. 

Overall agree, with a veteran team in 'all in/run it back' mode there probably won't be a whole lot of surprises on the 53 man roster. One thing that I see on a fairly regular basis is the complaint about the DL and I don't think the Packers feel the same as some fans. In Gute's draft review with Larry McCarren, when they got to Slaten, Gutes commented about how much he liked the DL group that they had. It is a deep roster and it will be hard to win a spot on the backend of the roster.   

Edited by R T

38 minutes ago, R T said:

Overall agree, with a veteran team in 'all in/run it back' mode there probably won't be a whole lot of surprises on the 53 man roster. One thing that I see on a fairly regular basis is the complaint about the DL and I don't think the Packers feel the same as some fans. In Gute's draft review with Larry McCarren, when they got to Slaten, Gutes commented about how much he liked the DL group that they had. It is a deep roster and it will be hard to win a spot on the backend of the roster.   

Short, Casey, Atkins still out there. Would love to get a vet pressence on this line. But I agree, there was a boatload of DL talent last year in FA and we didn't touch it and I feel the same this year will be the case. Gutey happy with position and/or doesn't want to invest in it further.

On 5/8/2021 at 7:45 PM, packfanfb said:

Like it. Agree they probably keep 5 TE. 

If they keep a UDFA, which history tells us they probably will, I'd look to Uphoff, the DT Helflin, or Kemp. The rest are probably PS hopefuls. 

1 hour ago, R T said:

It really depends how much the scheme is going to change up front. Right now, the deepest part of our DL is "really big guys" like Clark, Lancaster and Slaton. All three are/could be decent NTs but none of them, except maybe Clark at times, can play DE. Lancaster is a true NT who struggles when he's moved out to DE and Slaton is a NT too. 

So, in terms of DE types who can play the 3T or 4T (if we go with a true Staley/Barry scheme), you basically have.....Keke. That's it. Lowry is in no-mans land if we do away with the true 5T, two-gap DE; so I guess the question with him is whether the Packers think he can be a 1-gap, penetrating DE. 

The only way I think anyone could say we are okay on the DL is if they truly view Z as an inside 3T/hand in the dirt player in this scheme. Otherwise, you need one legit add to that group. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

It really depends how much the scheme is going to change up front. Right now, the deepest part of our DL is "really big guys" like Clark, Lancaster and Slaton. All three are/could be decent NTs but none of them, except maybe Clark at times, can play DE. Lancaster is a true NT who struggles when he's moved out to DE and Slaton is a NT too. 

So, in terms of DE types who can play the 3T or 4T (if we go with a true Staley/Barry scheme), you basically have.....Keke. That's it. Lowry is in no-mans land if we do away with the true 5T, two-gap DE; so I guess the question with him is whether the Packers think he can be a 1-gap, penetrating DE. 

The only way I think anyone could say we are okay on the DL is if they truly view Z as an inside 3T/hand in the dirt player in this scheme. Otherwise, you need one legit add to that group. 

I know it was you that I have had this same conversation with in the last 2 weeks, but Lowry is probably a better 1-gap player than 2-gap player as much as you refuse to believe it. Z. Smith absolutely is an option as a 3 tech, he has been and will continue to be. The 3 man front of Lowry, Clark and Keke is being sold very short by many here.  

14 minutes ago, R T said:

I know it was you that I have had this same conversation with in the last 2 weeks, but Lowry is probably a better 1-gap player than 2-gap player as much as you refuse to believe it. Z. Smith absolutely is an option as a 3 tech, he has been and will continue to be. The 3 man front of Lowry, Clark and Keke is being sold very short by many here.  

I'm not refusing to believe it, I truly don't know if Lowry can be a better 1-gap player. Honestly it would make sense since his ability to anchor as a 2-gap player resulted in him ending up on the ground way too often the last few years. 

On 5/8/2021 at 8:45 PM, packfanfb said:

If Gutey is adding an ILB, look for two of them. Summers really wasn't that great on ST's last year and offers very little at his position. I could see Burks replacing him if Ramsey isn't rotating inside and out as he did last year. TBH, I could see Ramsey taking a big step forward under Barry.