Brady vs Jordan for 2nd greatest North American Athlete of all-time

NeptunePenguins

Really hard to compare individual sports v. team sports, and even team sports like basketball is hard to compare to football which has like 30 different starters.  Basketball and Hockey it's easier for one great player to dominate.  Baseball has a lot of players too, but it's a format where one player can dominate (pitcher or hitter.)  In terms of championships, football is much more random too in who wins championships, so the fact that Brady has won so many is impressive.  If you're going by pure athleticism of course Brady is nowhere close, but he's the best player at the most important position.  I wouldn't be surprised if Brady retires with more postseason victories than any other franchise, to go along with his more SB victories than any other franchise.  

Also NHL Hockey and NBA basketball are both kind of inaccessible to most people.  Hockey is incredibly expensive if you don't live somewhere where it freezes a lot outside, and 99% of NBA players are 99% percentile for height or taller.  Sorry that was kind of random.  

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Because he wasn't even the best player on his own team for the second half of his career in which 4 of his championships came. He quickly became the beta to Magic after his arrival, his last MVP award came in 1980, and wasn't FMVP once in his last 4 Finals victories.

CORRECTION: Kareem did win FMVP in 1985.

I mean if titles are the end all, be all for you, then okay, but you can't just dismiss that Kareem has more MVPs, more All-NBA selections (with 3 less spots on the All-NBA teams for his position), and more All-Defense selections.

Laughing off Kareem is disrespectful to his greatness. MJ did not have so much better a career than him where it's not a debate.

51 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean if titles are the end all, be all for you, then okay, but you can't just dismiss that Kareem has more MVPs, more All-NBA selections (with 3 less spots on the All-NBA teams for his position), and more All-Defense selections.

Laughing off Kareem is disrespectful to his greatness. MJ did not have so much better a career than him where it's not a debate.

We can go back and forth on their accolades and individual accomplishments all day long, but if you are not even the driving force behind your team's greatness (80's Lakers) you have no case for GOAT over MJ. 

Edited by dtait93

20 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

We can go back and forth on their accolades and individual accomplishments all day long, but if you are not even the driving force behind your team's greatness (80's Lakers) you have no case for GOAT over MJ. 

Then maybe everyone should stop talking about Gretzky who only has 4 titles and didn’t win a thing once he left the Oilers

Edited by lancerman

26 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Was Steph Curry the driving force behind the 2015 Warriors?

15 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Did you not just do the exact same for Kareem in 1980?

Nope. I have specifically pointed out 1982 and on as being when Magic became the driving force behind the Laker's dynasty.

Magic was not the driving force behind the 1980 Lakers just like Iguodala was not the driving force behind the 2015 Warriors.

I think you might be confusing when I said "80's Lakers" as the 1980 Lakers specifically?

55 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Then maybe everyone should stop talking about Gretzky who only has 4 titles and didn’t win a thing once he left the Oilers

Who else was on the team he left for? Nobody wins it alone.

1 hour ago, dtait93 said:

Nope. I have specifically pointed out 1982 and on as being when Magic became the driving force behind the Laker's dynasty.

Magic was not the driving force behind the 1980 Lakers just like Iguodala was not the driving force behind the 2015 Warriors.

I think you might be confusing when I said "80's Lakers" as the 1980 Lakers specifically?

I did, that was my bad.

Sucks Kareem missed game 6 in 1980 because he was dominating the whole playoffs and did miss out on that Finals MVP because of it.

Anyone comparing Iggy to 24.8 points 10.8 rebounds 4.5 assist 3.4 block per game 1980 Kareem is truly out on a limb Kareem did miss a game in the 1980 finals.

He went 33.4 13.6 3.2 4.6 in the other 5 games.

Kareem was a dominant player in the playoffs through age 39.

He won titles at 23, 32, 34, 37, 38, and 40.

His numbers only dropped in 1988 with the age 40 run.

If you are trying the Irvin and Aikman suck because Emmitt angle or Gronk is a joke because Brady then you best just let it go. Having a dominant teammate while you are also dominant does not lessen you. That way leads to Rice made Montana level stupidity (Joe had 2 rings before he got there)

Now if you are specifically constructing a team as a group of players in order to manipulate the balance of power in a league then you can asterisk away.

Kareem was a Laker for 14 seasons. He was dominant for most of that time. He was dominant for 6 years before that and he was unstoppable in college. (3 titles and an 88-2 record)

Edited by SkippyX