Villanueva Signed

For that pricetag it looks like they were choosing between Villanueva and Houston rather than necessarily being able to fit both in.

Sort of seems like an odd fit compared to Dennis Kelly given his apparent strength is pass protection and he struggles in run blocking. Maybe not a bad thing though - you could argue Roman's scheme will make him better in the run game regardless and that his individual qualities in pass pro are more important. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

For that pricetag it looks like they were choosing between Villanueva and Houston rather than necessarily being able to fit both in.

Sort of seems like an odd fit compared to Dennis Kelly given his apparent strength is pass protection and he struggles in run blocking. Maybe not a bad thing though - you could argue Roman's scheme will make him better in the run game regardless and that his individual qualities in pass pro are more important. 

Or they were seeing how the draft shook out. If they had drafted a 1st round OT instead of Oweh, they probably would have signed Houston. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Maybe not a bad thing though - you could argue Roman's scheme will make him better in the run game regardless and that his individual qualities in pass pro are more important. 

Was coming here to say something similar. His skill set may incentivize us opening up the passing game more in 2021. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I think I remember him getting absolutely walked back by Jaylon Ferguson 2 years back so

Yeah lol

Tried to find it really quick but just found this-

How crazy is it that there were plays where we had both Justin Ellis and Jaylon Ferguson rushing the QB? 😂 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Laugh Mock GIF - Laugh Mock Lol - Discover & Share GIFs

I absolutely love the stuff coming out of Pittsburgh right now with the take of we did everyone in the division a favor by signing him. They are expecting a turnstile and an easy run at the QB every snap. He allowed 3 sacks on 800 drop backs with a statue at quarterback last season. They just mad we plucked a compensatory from them! Lol!

Guessing he meant Cleveland at LG, not LT. 

I'm sort of out of my element a little bit when it comes to some of the intricacies of OLine play but does this projected lineup suggest we're going to see some tweaks in the running scheme? Cleveland and Villanueva both seem to be more of 'strength' vs. 'mobility' linemen. I'm unsure of what Zeitler's exact skillset is. Bozeman was our primary pulling linemen last year too so maybe it's just a matter of building the scheme around having the center on the move. But the complexity in Roman's running game seems largely to come down to moving blockers around after the snap to create unique holes. Do we expect any significant differences in terms of overall skillset/scheme if the above ends up being the starting line? 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Tyus Bowser in man coverage too!

Meh, that's not particularly crazy as he was pretty clearly our best pass coverage LB (inside or out/edge). Not 100% sure that's man coverage or if he has the shallow zone / flat responsibility and it was clear they were going there with the motion.