2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Agreed. But we must also remember that Saleh / Ulbrich like to rotate their DL. A lot. Arguably our best DL player, Q, played n only 64% of the snaps he was available for. I find that appalling. If he is going to rotate so much, getting upgrades to Shepherd, Phillips, Ward, and Zuniga is a must. Not necessarily using high draft picks, but talented enough players to hold their own for 30% of the snaps. 

For sure. This is something to monitor. Bc we shouldn’t be spending top picks on guys to be rotational guys. Those guys should be so good they rarely come off the field. So if we plan on rotating IDLineman. We should never use a high pick on one. Idiotic to spend a pick on a guy to play them 60% of the snaps. 

On 1/20/2022 at 6:16 PM, xrade said:

Agreed. But we must also remember that Saleh / Ulbrich like to rotate their DL. A lot. Arguably our best DL player, Q, played n only 64% of the snaps he was available for. I find that appalling. If he is going to rotate so much, getting upgrades to Shepherd, Phillips, Ward, and Zuniga is a must. Not necessarily using high draft picks, but talented enough players to hold their own for 30% of the snaps. 

We’re going to develop these guys. Douglas and Saleh come from organizations where they don’t just upgrade from guys they’ve invested in. Guys like Marshall and Ward for example will be developed into rotational players, they were drafted/brought in by this regime. Zuniga was a 3rd round pick, I see him getting another shot, if healthy, in camp to earn those reps. 

Saleh seems to believe in teaching and investing into these guys. Simply replacing them is counterintuitive to the culture they seem to be trying to build. 

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We’re going to develop these guys. Douglas and Saleh come from organizations where they don’t just upgrade from guys they’ve invested in. Guys like Marshall and Ward for example will be developed into rotational players, they were drafted/brought in by this regime. Zuniga was a 3rd round pick, I see him getting another shot, if healthy, in camp to earn those reps. 

Saleh seems to believe in teaching and investing into these guys. Simply replacing them is counterintuitive to the culture they seem to be trying to build. 

Ya DE opposite Lawson is my only concern on the DL. Ideally we draft a guy early for this spot (one of our top 4 picks). Move JFM more inside and assuming we resign Foley we still have a strong DL. It’s LB and S that need the work. 2 LBs are needed IMO. And I’m rather confident we bring in at least 1 S. Not sure about 2. Pinnock actually looked decent there at the end of the season and Davis might still be developing. Some of these guys take 2-3 years to develop.

11 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

We’re going to develop these guys

Every coach says they believe in development. I’ll believe that when I see. The players I mentioned have been in the league long enough that they are, most likely, what they are.

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya DE opposite Lawson is my only concern on the DL. Ideally we draft a guy early for this spot (one of our top 4 picks). Move JFM more inside and assuming we resign Foley we still have a strong DL. It’s LB and S that need the work. 2 LBs are needed IMO. And I’m rather confident we bring in at least 1 S. Not sure about 2. Pinnock actually looked decent there at the end of the season and Davis might still be developing. Some of these guys take 2-3 years to develop.

For Linebackers I’m very intrigued by adding Dean or Lloyd to Mosley. Will make Mosley better playing Mike instead of Will. Quincy is a solid SAM, Hamsah and Sherwood can rotate in. Then replace Mosley the following year either internally or through FA/Draft.

50 minutes ago, xrade said:

Every coach says they believe in development. I’ll believe that when I see. The players I mentioned have been in the league long enough that they are, most likely, what they are.

You literally seen it this year. We played more rookies and 2nd year guys than anyone ever.

15 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

For Linebackers I’m very intrigued by adding Dean or Lloyd to Mosley. Will make Mosley better playing Mike instead of Will. Quincy is a solid SAM, Hamsah and Sherwood can rotate in. Then replace Mosley the following year either internally or through FA/Draft.

In Round 2 I’d be open to that. But LB just isn’t a top 10 pick for me. And as I said… I actually like a guy like Christian Harris the best of all the LBs this class. And he’s slated as the 3rd best LB right now. Should be available for us in Round 2 as well. Dean’s height I am worried about. How’s he covering TEs at 5’11”? He’s gonna get eaten alive in the nfl, if he has that responsibility. And our system requires LBs to cover. Ideally for me we grab a LB for the system in FA and draft a guy in the top 4 rounds. Giving us 2 new starters hopefully, with Quincy and the Ss transitioning as depth.

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Im a Devin Lloyd Stan so I’m here for it. He’s built for this scheme and can easily help fix our Run defense woes and help our coverage over the middle

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

In Round 2 I’d be open to that. But LB just isn’t a top 10 pick for me. And as I said… I actually like a guy like Christian Harris the best of all the LBs this class. And he’s slated as the 3rd best LB right now. Should be available for us in Round 2 as well. Dean’s height I am worried about. How’s he covering TEs at 5’11”? He’s gonna get eaten alive in the nfl, if he has that responsibility. And our system requires LBs to cover. Ideally for me we grab a LB for the system in FA and draft a guy in the top 4 rounds. Giving us 2 new starters hopefully, with Quincy and the Ss transitioning as depth.

Harris is not a great fit coming from that Alabama system IMO, similar issue to CJ to an extent.

Dean would at times have to cover Tight Ends, really just depends on the call. We’ve mix and matched Safeties and Linebackers this year matching up with Tight Ends.

Lloyd is like the best of everything, size, intangibles, instincts. 

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You literally seen it this year. We played more rookies and 2nd year guys than anyone ever.

I mentioned Phillips, Ward, Shepherd and Zuniga. Didn’t see any development from them. They are who they are at this point.  I specifically did not mention Marshall because he is a rookie.

I am not naive enough to believe every player has to be high draft picks or pro bowl caliber, but if Saleh is going to rotate the DL so heavily, perhaps an upgrade to those I mentioned is needed. We had the worst D in the league. Ignoring to DL that is heavily rotated as opposed to DB’s and LB who were not rotated as much, an upgrade for the players I mentioned is needed. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

I mentioned Phillips, Ward, Shepherd and Zuniga. Didn’t see any development from them. They are who they are at this point.  I specifically did not mention Marshall because he is a rookie.

I am not naive enough to believe every player has to be high draft picks or pro bowl caliber, but if Saleh is going to rotate the DL so heavily, perhaps an upgrade to those I mentioned is needed. We had the worst D in the league. Ignoring to DL that is heavily rotated as opposed to DB’s and LB who were not rotated as much, an upgrade for the players I mentioned is needed. 

The players themselves can upgrade/get better. Obviously competition will be brought in and if there’s a chance to grab a talent that’s a for sure upgrade I’m sure they’ll look into it. 

A healthy Lawson changes things himself IMO, still need a guy opposite him on 3rd downs(Huff is good but not always healthy).

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The players themselves can upgrade/get better. Obviously competition will be brought in and if there’s a chance to grab a talent that’s a for sure upgrade I’m sure they’ll look into it. 

A healthy Lawson changes things himself IMO, still need a guy opposite him on 3rd downs(Huff is good but not always healthy).

I just don’t want to see Shepherd and Zuniga on the field playing for the Jets ever again. Personally, I am not a fan of rotating so heavily. Play your best players. Rest them for a few plays if needed then get them back out there. Saleh wants the DL to be fresh entering the 4th Q. That’s great but if they are down by 20 points, what good is that going to do.

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Harris is not a great fit coming from that Alabama system IMO, similar issue to CJ to an extent.

Dean would at times have to cover Tight Ends, really just depends on the call. We’ve mix and matched Safeties and Linebackers this year matching up with Tight Ends.

Lloyd is like the best of everything, size, intangibles, instincts. 

Like I said I like Lloyd but name be 10 game changing LBs in the NFL? It’s not a position that’s a premium. We’ve made this mistake time again. Drafting DTs consistently in the 1st, LBs, Ss. And we waste those picks. Use premium picks on premium positions. Period. 

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Like I said I like Lloyd but name be 10 game changing LBs in the NFL? It’s not a position that’s a premium. We’ve made this mistake time again. Drafting DTs consistently in the 1st, LBs, Ss. And we waste those picks. Use premium picks on premium positions. Period. 

Yeah I mean Linebacker is sort of like Running Back in a way. I’m not saying take Dean or Lloyd at 10 but if we move back or something, you never really know how the board will fall.