2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

Because we didn't tank and fought towards the end, I don't think we'll have to over pay for good targets to be interested this year. The only big challenge is that teams like the Bengals, Chargers, and Dolphs have more cap space after performing better than us. So they maybe able to match our offers on some of these targets. Chargers & Bengals will also have to prepare for the big contracts Herb & JB will get after this season. So it will be interesting to see what offers they can make compared to ours. 

57 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Because we didn't tank and fought towards the end, I don't think we'll have to over pay for good targets to be interested this year.

I’m lazy and don’t feel like looking it up, but when was the last time a high priced FA worked out well for us?  Kevin Mawae? Kris Jenkins? Woody? Decker?  Anyone in the last decade?

HOT TAKE

Robert Saleh's and JD's jobs are not based off of Zach Wilson's success.  I keep hearing on the radio if Wilson fails then so does the coach and GM.  Well what if all of the other picks turn out to be good/great?  What if we have a good overall team but are just missing the QB?  I think it's a dumb take to say they'll get fired if they miss on the Wilson pick.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

HOT TAKE

Robert Saleh's and JD's jobs are not based off of Zach Wilson's success.  I keep hearing on the radio if Wilson fails then so does the coach and GM.  Well what if all of the other picks turn out to be good/great?  What if we have a good overall team but are just missing the QB?  I think it's a dumb take to say they'll get fired if they miss on the Wilson pick.

Well I think they both have at least 2 more seasons regardless. We knew this wasn’t a 1-2 year rebuild. And that’s why hopefully this time we do it right.

I do understand what you’re saying though. But teams don’t really win without QB play. I mean unless we become a powerhouse running the ball, in order for us to win and guys like Moore and such to look good, we have to have QB play. Defense obviously has nothing to do with Wilson.

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

HOT TAKE

Well first thing you should do is stop listening to the radio because they all know probably as much as most of us. 

You are right tho, most coaches get 2 shots at Quarterback, I think Douglas and Saleh have sold Woody on laying a long term foundation for the team that’s why this “most important off-season in franchise history” “Bengals like turnaround” stuff is nonsense.

They don’t want flash in the pan seasons, they want long term contention year in and year out. This will likely be a mix of the Ravens and 49ers approaches to team building and in the end we’ll be better off for it.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Bengals turned around in year 3.  Jets just work on year 2.   Spend FA carefully and wisely.

I heard one of whoever about Jets won't be fully ready until 2024.  ugh?  That is a pure opinion.

My thing though is that I don’t want to just keep using the approach of get assets in future years. Meaning I don’t want to move back from 4 let’s say to move back far in Round 1 and just get future picks. We need players, not future picks in order to show progress. 

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

My thing though is that I don’t want to just keep using the approach of get assets in future years. Meaning I don’t want to move back from 4 let’s say to move back far in Round 1 and just get future picks. We need players, not future picks in order to show progress. 

I doubt we move from 4 nor should we. 10 is another story. I know you want Burks. But is he really head and shoulders above another WR that you get at maybe 20 and get another SRP either this year or next?  Now if a CB like Sauce is there at 10, you grab him. Assuming, of course, they are looking at CB. GM’s love more dart throws. 

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

I doubt we move from 4 nor should we. 10 is another story. I know you want Burks. But is he really head and shoulders above another WR that you get at maybe 20 and get another SRP either this year or next?  Now if a CB like Sauce is there at 10, you grab him. Assuming, of course, they are looking at CB. GM’s love more dart throws. 

I’m by no means set on that I want Burks at 10. I have my options 100% open. FA will help narrow down what I think I’d like for us to do in the draft. Also depends how the board falls to us. We don’t address DE in FA or at 4… I want a DE at 10 if Ojabo is there for example.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’m by no means set on that I want Burks at 10. I have my options 100% open. FA will help narrow down what I think I’d like for us to do in the draft. Also depends how the board falls to us. We don’t address DE in FA or at 4… I want a DE at 10 if Ojabo is there for example.

I was just using Burks as an example.  You can probably use Ojabo as an example as well. Is he that much better than a DE you can get at 15 - 20?  

Just now, xrade said:

I was just using Burks as an example.  You can probably use Ojabo as an example as well. Is he that much better than a DE you can get at 15 - 20?  

For me yes. I do like Karlaftis at that 10 area too. But after those I see a drop off. I like Johnson’s play… but I’ve said how I don’t like his age. Walker for me is more JFM. And we don’t need that bc we just signed him long term. Hybrid DE/DT, we need a pure DE. Now I do like those options in the early 2nd like Enagbare and Drake Jackson. Leal is in that same Walker mold for me. So if we don’t address DE in FA or Round 1… I’d love Enagbare in Round 2 for us.

If you think Ojabo is head and shoulders above the others, you take him at 10. That goes for any player just as does trading down if you think you can similar production from a lower picked player and get another draft pick.

Personally, I am not the biggest fan of Ojabo at 10 nor Johnson in round 1. Engabare, Ebikitei, Thomas and Sanders in round 2 or 3.  I’d trade down if possible and get one of those guys. Who knows maybe Ojabo is available if we trade down.

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

If JD wants future picks then they will sell player, not pick.   JD's goal is to build the team via drafts so that means he goes after talents for right value (especially high picks).    Since JD won't have 30 prospects in his upper echelon of draft value (BB) he will find a way to get 2 or 3 prospects from that echelon.  If that echelon is empty then JD may trade away picks (to stock up late picks?).

I have no concern about JD's plan for this upcoming draft.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 12:33 PM, Bobby816 said:

Like pretty much all of us are saying it depends on price. No I highly doubt BUF is lining up to pay Oliver premium dollar. If he wants above average dollar yea they’ll pay him. But you don’t pay above average players big money. Q has been above average and that’s about it. So that’s what he should be paid. Happens every year. Berrios had a good year “for our standards” but dude didn’t even catch for 500yds and wants 9mill per. That’s a top 30 WR and he’s not that. So you don’t pay him that. You can’t just keep paying guys more than what they’re worth. Q is above average. So you don’t give him  even close to top dollar. Quite frankly unless his play big time rides he doesn’t deserve his 5th year option money being the 3rd pick. But he’s too young to not pick it up and see what happens. But he as of today won’t be worth that salary in year 5.

Just as I predicted Braxton getting 9 was all talk no substance. Q can talk all he wants he’s getting paid what he’s worth.