2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We haven’t talked about defense enough. But apparently Dunn and Carter have looked good at CB for us. Dunn had no business going undrafted. Just like Yeboah and Hoge

Reading the reports on how our DBs are playing has been exciting. What seemed like our weakest position group might just have some potential. Still probably the weakest group but guys are stepping up. I'm more than comfortable letting the young guys develop. Hall, Austin, Pinnock, Dunn, MC2, Echols, and Guidry all have potential. One of those guys (likely Guidry) will be cut unfortunately.

The area that may need some attention in the TE position. Kroft is outplaying Herndon. Considering Kroft is a journeyman, that's not a good sign. We can't roll into the season with Kroft as our number 1 TE. 

Two moves I would like us to make before camp starts:

1) Sign Morgan Moses. He'd solidify us having a good run game.

2) Trade Herndon and 6th for Ertz. Philly saves cap space. They might actually want to just cut him straight up but, if I were them, I'd take Herndon and see if you can make something out of him. Ertz had a tough year because of injury last year. But I think he has 1 or 2 good years left in him. Buys us time to draft and develop our long-term answer at TE. Herndon is not the answer.

Edited by SDotNova

I heard Pinnock and Hall were looking promising.  I really believe in Bryce Hall being a starting caliber CB, he only fell because of a injury. 

The DL looks promising, Zuniga was getting 1st team reps. Last season was basically a RS year for him, hopefully he contributes this year. 

Nice article on value of each position by age. We probably all knew this anecdotally, but it’s nice to have some numbaz.

In summary, don’t sign RBs and CBs near 30. OL and DL are descent bets over 30. TE is in the grey area. Basically the further away you get from the ball, the riskier signing older guys get. This makes sense since the decline is usually because of lost of speed.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-top-5-offensive-linemen-break-out-2021

Edited by SDotNova

47 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Interesting. 

Very interesting. Moses is an upgrade from Fant. And to have depth at OT isn't a bad thing with Becton currently injured. Can also be a swing tackle, which I'm sure we will utilize. 

24 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

How much better is Moses vs Fant? 

Curious to read what others think. I’d say he’s a slight upgrade in pass protection but a significant upgrade in the running game.

The running game impact to me is exciting because a line with Becton, AVT and Moses can open up some big holes. And considering the makeup of NE, Miami and Buffalo’s defense, the running game is going to be a big deal if want to have a chance in those games.

Edited by SDotNova

53 minutes ago, drew39k said:

I'm all over signing Moses. Getting him in at RT and letting fant fill in is a must. Our o-line is still a big question mark. We need it to be successful if Zack Wilson is going to have any chance.

Moses signing makes this Oline very solid to the point it is an absolute strength in the running game and at the very least above average pass protecting.

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I'm seeing some Moses at RG theories with Fant staying at RT. 

So question is who do we feel we need to replace more? GVR or Fant. 

I say GVR, Fant should be fine in this scheme. 

Open the competition in camp if that’s the case. I just don’t see Moses signing with us to play RG. He’s a talented RT and plenty of teams as the offseason program goes along will see they need a RT. So he doesn’t “have to” Sign now. I’m sure he wants to stay at RT. But yes more than likely if we sign him and have to play our best OL. That’s how it would line us with him at RG. But I just see it as Fant as the swing tackle. And in sets that we will use quite a bit (remember we don’t have a good TE). So if we sign Moses, JD and Saleh should meet with Fant ASAP to tel him he will still get snaps.