2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

I remember wanting Decastro so badly. I wish him the best. 

Every year, I have a list of FA's or potential trades we can target for the upcoming season/offseason. For the first time in years, I'm not interested in a lot of potential targets. JD has built a really good foundation that will allow the team to compete while actually building through the draft. Here are some potential targets IF who we have don't work. 

DeVante Adams -  Final year of his contract and watching Aaron's situation. More than likely he follows, but we have cap space and a potential good QB with Wilson. 

Nick Chubb - Final year of his contract and the Browns don't have a lot of money. They could if they release OBJ or Landry, but they may also have to resign Mayfield. With the money Chubb could get, I he could possibly hit the market or get traded. 

Marshon Lattimore -  I believe he would be a great fit in this scheme and make a great pair with who ever wins the #2 CB spot. 

Anthony Barr -  I'm still interested in him and think he would be good with rotating at OLB & DE. 

OBJ -  I know me and two others in this thread like him, so I'm adding him to cause chaos. 

Sony Michel - I think we would go the draft route unless Carter proves he can be a leading RB. Sony played in all 16 games the year before, 900yds + rushing the first two seasons, but averaged 5.7ypc last season. If he walks, I think he should be a target.  

I don't really see any MUST have names right now. I like who we have and the potential draft prospects coming up. Just off the top of my head, I like Kyle Hamilton, Luke Matthews, and some of the RBs out there. 

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Needs to be stretching not lifting

Needs full range of motion lifting and structural balance.  Not powerlifting and Olympic lifting that many NFL strength coaches shove down players throats.

Example...one of my mentors trained an offensive lineman for the Cleveland Browns.  Every season he had shoulder injuries. Guy could bench press 400 lbs.  His overhead press was an embarrassing 95 lbs.  Massive discrepancy.  He made the OL stop benching and got his overhead press stronger.  No more shoulder injuries afterwards and his bench press went up too.

4 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm still hoping we sign another vet LB as insurance that can play all 3 spots if needed. 

We'll see.

I kinda gave up hope on CJ Mosley, but after seeing him speak this offseason I think we have a possible comeback player of the year. I really believe Mosley is going to play at a probowl level again. I think playing for Saleh will fire him up, Gase brought guys down. 

Between Sherwood and Hamsah, maybe we find a solid WLB. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

We'll see.

I kinda gave up hope on CJ Mosley, but after seeing him speak this offseason I think we have a possible comeback player of the year. I really believe Mosley is going to play at a probowl level again. I think playing for Saleh will fire him up, Gase brought guys down. 

Between Sherwood and Hamsah, maybe we find a solid WLB. 

I'm definitely rooting for him, but he's been gone for two years. He still has to get in shape to play a whole season. Davis played all 16 games once. The only other player that actually has stats is Cashman. 

I like Sherwood & Nas, but there aren't a lot of examples of college safeties converting to LB and succeeding early. The speed/coverage LBs we're hoping they become were actually LBs in college like Telvin Smith, Lavonte David, and others. That switch isn't easy. Being the 8th man in the box for certain plays is way different than being in it every down. I do think one of them will work out, but I'm not getting my hopes up for early success. On top of that, they were mid/late round picks. They are expecting to need more time anyway. 

I think a vet that can play as insurance for all 3 would help a lot. 

Edited by rickyt31

12 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm definitely rooting for him, but he's been gone for two years. He still has to get in shape to play a whole season. Davis played all 16 games once. The only other player that actually has stats is Cashman. 

I like Sherwood & Nas, but there aren't a lot of examples of college safeties converting to LB and succeeding early. The speed/coverage LBs we're hoping they become were actually LBs in college like Telvin Smith, Lavonte David, and others. That switch isn't easy. Being the 8th man in the box for certain plays is way different than being in it every down. I do think one of them will work out, but I'm not getting my hopes up for early success. On top of that, they were mid/late round picks. They are expecting to need more time anyway. 

I think a vet that can play as insurance for all 3 would help a lot. 

I hear what you’re saying. But you can’t have great players everywhere that you 100% trust. Especially in a rebuild. I for one for sure don’t want another LB brought in. Let the young guys battle it out. Same at CB. You only find steals in drafts if you actually play them. If you plug in a safer guy via FA for every spot that is unsure… you’ll never find mid late round guys.

14 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I hear what you’re saying. But you can’t have great players everywhere that you 100% trust. Especially in a rebuild. I for one for sure don’t want another LB brought in. Let the young guys battle it out. Same at CB. You only find steals in drafts if you actually play them. If you plug in a safer guy via FA for every spot that is unsure… you’ll never find mid late round guys.

It's not about having great players every where.  It's getting insurance for the other two vets and/or giving time for the young safeties transitioning into the LB position while still giving our group a chance.  When I say vet, I'm not referring to someone who requires a multi year deal or anything.  They can be 30+ for all I care.

Young guys will rotate and eventually take the position during the season when they're ready. Similar to what we did with Demario Davis his rookie year. At this point,  we're expecting to see Davis & Mosley play all 17 games healthy and with a developing late round college safety. It's not going to hurt anyone chances of developing 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

It's not about having great players every where.  It's getting insurance for the other two vets and/or giving time for the young safeties transitioning into the LB position while still giving our group a chance.  When I say vet, I'm not referring to someone who requires a multi year deal or anything.  They can be 30+ for all I care.

Young guys will rotate and eventually take the position during the season when they're ready. Similar to what we did with Demario Davis his rookie year. At this point,  we're expecting to see Davis & Mosley play all 17 games healthy and with a developing late round college safety. It's not going to hurt anyone chances of developing 

It does though. Did Gore not take too many snaps away from Perine and Johnson last year as “insurance”

I wasn’t a fan of us adding Curry this offseason, Bc he will take snaps away from guys like Huff and Zuniga.

When you’re a win now team your line of thinking 100% makes sense. But when you’re rebuilding… just play the young guys. Will it comes with rough patches? 100% but at least they’re getting opportunity. And that’s most the battle for young players. Is getting that chance. Having average to below average 30 year olds starting over talented and raw rookies and 2nd year guys, doesn’t make sense for this team.

On 7/7/2021 at 5:19 AM, Bobby816 said:

It does though. Did Gore not take too many snaps away from Perine and Johnson last year as “insurance”

I wasn’t a fan of us adding Curry this offseason, Bc he will take snaps away from guys like Huff and Zuniga.

When you’re a win now team your line of thinking 100% makes sense. But when you’re rebuilding… just play the young guys. Will it comes with rough patches? 100% but at least they’re getting opportunity. And that’s most the battle for young players. Is getting that chance. Having average to below average 30 year olds starting over talented and raw rookies and 2nd year guys, doesn’t make sense for this team.

It's really a coaching decision because I doubt JD signed a 37yr old RB expecting him to be given the amount of snaps he was given. I definitely understand not liking the Curry pick up but he's 33 and had 16 total tackles. He's definitely there for rotation if the young guys earn it in camp/preseason. 

Someone like Kwon Alexander or Mychal Kendricks would likely take away snaps from the young guys, but someone like Mark Nzeocha (Just an example) would be perfect. He's familiar with the scheme, experienced, but also can be rotated in all 3 positions if needed. If one of the young guys is even close to ready, they'll get their snaps. This gives those safeties a chance to really get comfortable through rotation instead of throwing them out there. 

There aren't many examples of college safeties successfully switching over as rookies. There are a lot of failed "hybrid" players the last 10-20 years. On top of that, they are late round guys. I just rather do this the beginning of the season until one of the young guys really get comfortable. 

2 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

It's really a coaching decision because I doubt JD signed a 37yr old RB expecting him to be given the amount of snaps he was given. I definitely understand not liking the Curry pick up but he's 33 and had 16 total tackles. He's definitely there for rotation if the young guys earn it in camp/preseason. 

Someone like Kwon Alexander or Mychal Kendricks would likely take away snaps from the young guys, but someone like Mark Nzeocha (Just an example) would be perfect. He's familiar with the scheme, experienced, but also can be rotated in all 3 positions if needed. If one of the young guys is even close to ready, they'll get their snaps. This gives those safeties a chance to really get comfortable through rotation instead of throwing them out there. 

There aren't many examples of college safeties successfully switching over as rookies. There are a lot of failed "hybrid" players the last 10-20 years. On top of that, they are late round guys. I just rather do this the beginning of the season until one of the young guys really get comfortable. 

But we aren’t a SB contender is my point. If we were, I’d agree with you. Get guys to start to give us the best chance to win now. But since we’re at the start of a rebuild… starting some raw young guys in spots is actually what we need. To start finding those mid round guys that can be good starters for us. If you don’t give these guys opportunity, they’ll never succeed. They have TC to try and prove themselves. Will one of them be the next Lavonte David? Probably not. But if they can be a solid starter for us that’s a win. These young guys need to soak up knowledge from Mosley as well. Playing along side him and being accountable will force them to mature in this league. I’ll always continue to say that opportunity is the biggest battle. You keep clogging up young talents opportunity with safe vets, you’ll never hit on mid late round guys.

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

But we aren’t a SB contender is my point. If we were, I’d agree with you. Get guys to start to give us the best chance to win now. But since we’re at the start of a rebuild… starting some raw young guys in spots is actually what we need. To start finding those mid round guys that can be good starters for us. If you don’t give these guys opportunity, they’ll never succeed. They have TC to try and prove themselves. Will one of them be the next Lavonte David? Probably not. But if they can be a solid starter for us that’s a win. These young guys need to soak up knowledge from Mosley as well. Playing along side him and being accountable will force them to mature in this league. I’ll always continue to say that opportunity is the biggest battle. You keep clogging up young talents opportunity with safe vets, you’ll never hit on mid late round guys.

You're saying this like they will never get snaps over someone like I mentioned. I see we're not going to agree on this (I don't hate your opinion on this). I still think it's better to give transitioning players a chance to rotate first instead of just throwing them out there because we're not contending for a SB. If they were already LBs, I'm fine with that but seeing the lack of success from higher graded prospects makes me hope we find someone solid enough to at least rotate until they can become fulltime starters.