2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Really hoping we can lock up Maye before Thursday afternoon. I’m hoping with that deadline looming we can come to a deal of a 4-5yr deal with 3 years guaranteed.

I cant help but think Maye is looking for top 5 safety $.  He may very well be a top 5 safety, but is he worth it in this D?  If so, pay the man (if reasonable).  If not, let him walk next year and see it Davis and the plethora of draft picks can fill the role.

16 hours ago, xrade said:

I cant help but think Maye is looking for top 5 safety $.  He may very well be a top 5 safety, but is he worth it in this D?  If so, pay the man (if reasonable).  If not, let him walk next year and see it Davis and the plethora of draft picks can fill the role.

For me the pay isn't what should be the issue. It should be the years, being he's older for a guy coming off a rookie contract. You don't want to guarantee him 4 years at his age. I think 3 years guarantee is perfect.

This stuff is normal to happen (hence why pretty few of the tagged players have signed long term yet). That both sides play hardball and come these next few days they try and come to a deal.

Interesting by Joe

I’m for the most part cool with it - black and white, I wouldn't extend Maye either

My only qualm if you will is that it sends a bad message, it causes potential drama to a young locker room, and we really don’t need to pay anyone over the course of the next 3 years (excl. FA), so why not make a statement that if you play very well and show professionalism, you’ll get paid and be appreciated

Here’s the deal imo.

I think we need to start resigning our own who deserve it. We have a pretty bad history if it recently. And don’t think players and agents don’t know that.

BUT….. is Maye really a guy who’s a top 5 S? Do defenses need to know where he is at all times? For me no

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

For me I think I’d be open to doing a four year deal but at a reduced figure that the franchise tag currently is. Because maye is that bit older he should take a little less per year but get a good solid four year contract that would set himself up after playing.

Why would we give him $12m+ a year when his play may fall dramatically in years 3,4 & possibly 5 given the fact he’s 28 already?

Edited by xenajets

3 hours ago, xrade said:

Is it me or does JD not like DB’s?  He seems to avoid drafting them at premium positions, getting decent FA’s, and running the best DB’s out of town. He is like Mac with OL. 

Eh lets not go that far. Mac was abysmal at everything. JD building team from inside out and running best Dbs out of town is a comical comment when you consider that DB ran himself out of town. 

13 hours ago, xrade said:

Is it me or does JD not like DB’s?  He seems to avoid drafting them at premium positions, getting decent FA’s, and running the best DB’s out of town. He is like Mac with OL. 

I don't think that. I think he knew this team needed a makeover on offense more so than anything., so he's targeted that early. And that 100% in what we needed.

That being said... I do think now with Saleh, that he thinks he can get more out of mid round guys than he normally would. I think after this last draft that we're set up more to choose more of a bpa approach than fix just the offense. But how this team looks this year will show what we need. I do still think that CB will be a big need for us next year as well as the right side of the OL (unless someone emerges is RG and re can resign Moses).