2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

13 hours ago, xrade said:

Regarding Nelson, at only $4M, he is coming cheap.  I can’t help but think there is some coaching arrogance going on in Jetland. 

Not that Philly is a contender... but I totally get an established player not wanting to be part of a rebuild. 

16 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Or he didn’t wanna play here. 

Or that.  But the fact this team has ignored CB all off-season (day three picks don't count as addressing a need) just seems indicative of a coaching staff telling our FO we don't need to spend on CB.  It could be that these FA's did not want to play here or it could be we never even contacted them.  The fact that we have heard absolutely nothing about JD contacting any FA CB or making trade proposals may just mean it is more likely JD did not intend to go after any FA's or make any trades for CB.  I would really like to hear what JD's game plan is for our CB's, preferably from JD himself.

I wouldn't stress just yet. I think JD is waiting for the last wave of free agency(Camp/Preseason). There are always some interesting names that hit the market. 

Unless the Dline come out strong, I'm expecting the defense to struggle for the first 5 weeks. Through out camp, I'll be keeping up with the CB battle. I would love to see Hall win and prove he can be CB1.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Or that.  But the fact this team has ignored CB all off-season (day three picks don't count as addressing a need) just seems indicative of a coaching staff telling our FO we don't need to spend on CB.  It could be that these FA's did not want to play here or it could be we never even contacted them.  The fact that we have heard absolutely nothing about JD contacting any FA CB or making trade proposals may just mean it is more likely JD did not intend to go after any FA's or make any trades for CB.  I would really like to hear what JD's game plan is for our CB's, preferably from JD himself.

To be fair this system has thrived with non premium Cornerbacks. 

• Like 1

I can certainly understand the fact that we cant fix everything in one offseason.  Perhaps the plan is to address DB with a vengeance next year.  I just find it odd that of all the position groups, even ST, CB was ignored save for day 3 picks.  I also don't really buy the "making due with less talent" argument regarding CB.  Yes, the system does stress QB pressure lessening the need for lengthy CB coverage, but the Jets are really going to be stress testing that theory this season.

I guess the tipping point for me questioning JD's motives in this regard, is not resigning Poole and the Maye contract.

I’m starting to get behind the total youth movement idea. We are not super bowl contenders this year or next. So why not just let all your young guys develop on the field? Then in year 3 and 4 of Zach’s rookie contract, fill in the gaps where the young guys weren’t able to step up.

The exception to this is the OL.

Edited by SDotNova