2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

4 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

But, what has been reported is Mims is struggling remembering the different nuances of the plays in the playbook. If he's out there running the wrong route even 2 out of 10 times and those 2 mishaps result in picks are you cool with that?

What I think is a guess… so I can’t say more than it’s just my opinion on it. IMO… I think them saying he doesn’t know all the routes, is a bunch of BS.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

What I think is a guess… so I can’t say more than it’s just my opinion on it. IMO… I think them saying he doesn’t know all the routes, is a bunch of BS.

It's not him not knowing all the routes, it's him not knowing the different developments of every route. The shanahan system has multiple outcomes of every route that don't materialize until after the ball is snapped and the QB and WR take what the defense gives them. If he doesn't know where to go on his route it will lead to a ton of miscommunications. 

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/09/15/denzel-mims-new-york-jets-depth-chart/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This explains it well.

Edited by mattmanz91

2 hours ago, mattmanz91 said:

But, what has been reported is Mims is struggling remembering the different nuances of the plays in the playbook. If he's out there running the wrong route even 2 out of 10 times and those 2 mishaps result in picks are you cool with that?

If he is struggling to learn certain routes, don't put him on the field for those specific plays. If, as it is being speculated that the offense is option heavy for the WRs and QBs the easy answer is to eliminate that part of the offense for that WR.

Essentially, if he doesnt know 2 out of ten routes, play him when you are calling the other 8 plays.

OR

If the situation is that he doesn't understand the option part of the offense or isnt on the same page as the QB when it comes to reading those option routes, when you send him out there simplify it for him. Have him either only need to choose between two options or remove the options all together. When he is out there have him run the slant or the fly or the deep in or whatever you want. Let him know that is the route he is running. If he is open great, if not  throw to one of the option guys.  The idea should be to get the big, speedy, talented kid involved and then develop those instincts. Not just bury him.

It's kinda like how when you start a rookie QB, MAYBE you let him call an audible at the line here or there but mostly the OC tells him to run a specific play and he runs that play. Its a way to keep things simple and let him adjust to the speed of the game without overloading him. Same thing applies to Mims at the WR position. He is only ever going to learn what to spot on option routes by playing in live games against DBs that don't have the playbook and haven't been practicing against him all offseason.

8 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

It's not him not knowing all the routes, it's him not knowing the different developments of every route. The shanahan system has multiple outcomes of every route that don't materialize until after the ball is snapped and the QB and WR take what the defense gives them. If he doesn't know where to go on his route it will lead to a ton of miscommunications. 

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/09/15/denzel-mims-new-york-jets-depth-chart/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This explains it well.

I just don't see how this is any different than QBs and audibles. If he is struggling with an advanced route running option with multiple decisions along the route, simplify it. Have him go out and run specific routes. Let him get his feet wet and use his athleticism help him get experience so he can learn to make the right reads on route flexing later.

I hope JD will start being looked at with some scrutiny on here. He’s been given such an easy ride so far but looking at last years draft :

Becton- High on him unlike others but his injuries are a major concern especially considering his size. Also comments during preseason weren’t exactly great as per his development. 

Mims- Coaching staff clearly don’t value him. Big mistake IMO. Could be traded at any point.

Davis- Non existent, constantly injured. Not looking good. 

Zuniga- Bust. 

Perine- Will probs be cut at some point this year. Not looked good when on the field. 

Morgan- Already Cut. Horrible choice like I said at the time. 

Clark- Another one who can’t stay healthy and after two years will not even play a snap of football. 

Hall- Looks a very solid pick. 

Mann- Again a solid pick, shame it’s not a more important position. 

I really think we need more from the amount of draft picks we’ve had and the amount of really high picks too. Not like all these guys are 6th/7th rounders. You build your roster in those 3rd/4th rounds and of the 5 we had last year all could/should be cut at some pint this year. 

5 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

You build your roster in those 3rd/4th rounds and of the 5 we had last year all could/should be cut at some pint this year

The problem in the past has been the bust level play of our FRP and SRP as well. I don’t fault JD for the 2020 draft. Becton, Cashman, Davis, and Clark did not have an injury history in college. How do you foresee that? It is quite obvious the FB gods hate the Jets. Zunogo and Morgan were questionable picks - no doubt. Mims was a great pick at the time. Did you like it?  He was also picked before this coaching staff so JD was just picking a talented WR.

It is a shame almost an entire draft class will be wiped out by injury. We can really only judge JD’s ability to draft by their play.

Edited by xrade

14 minutes ago, xrade said:

The problem in the past has been the bust level play of our FRP and SRP as well. I don’t fault JD for the 2020 draft. Becton, Cashman, Davis, and Clark did not have an injury history in college. How do you foresee that? It is quite obvious the FB gods hate the Jets. Zunogo and Morgan were questionable picks - no doubt. Mims was a great pick at the time. Did you like it?  He was also picked before this coaching staff so JD was just picking a talented WR.

It is a shame almost an entire draft class will be wiped out by injury. We can really only judge JD’s ability to draft by their play.

I wonder how much of it also has to do with COVID and not working out or playing.  Lots of guys got lazy and maybe lost the drive or the lack of activity lead to injured seasons.  Really stinks regardless. 

But I am very optimistic about Zach and this class.  If we have finally landed our QB I am willing to ignore previous drafts and be happy.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

But I am very optimistic about Zach and this class.  If we have finally landed our QB I am willing to ignore previous drafts and be happy.

I am right there with you on that. I also hope we have found our coaching staff and FO.

As for COVID stuff, that had a much bigger impact last year. Less so this year. Mekhi really needs to get in a good conditioning program. He’s too big. You know better than anyone the stress it puts on his joints and heart.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

I am right there with you on that. I also hope we have found our coaching staff and FO.

As for COVID stuff, that had a much bigger impact last year. Less so this year. Mekhi really needs to get in a good conditioning program. He’s too big. You know better than anyone the stress it puts on his joints and heart.

I'll be opening up my gym/performance center on Long Island in the next year, we need to bombard him with messages to come see me so I can get him right.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'll be opening up my gym/performance center on Long Island in the next year, we need to bombard him with messages to come see me so I can get him right.

You can start by introducing him to a ******* salad every now and then. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 5:35 PM, ekill08x said:

Not for nothing though, we hired him in the middle of an atrocious regime and now he has his own HC and a brand new system and not everyone from previous drafts fits. You hire the best coach possible not the one who fits the very little talent the team already has. Idc about his first draft so much as long as there is a clear cut plan moving forward on what kind of players Douglas and Saleh want here. 

Yeah. That is what I recently said in game thread. lol.