2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean he has a point though. I mean we trade these players and get a fraction of what we invested in them back in return. We trade Maye for a 3rd at best and what? We draft a guy like Davis or Zuniga? How does that make us any better?

You are absolutely correct that has been my gripe for months. We all know all the first round picks we gave away for peanuts. The players moves buy this franchise has been a disaster no matter who the GM is or was. I am not going to list all the players because we all know what we gave up to get some of those first round picks, and what we got in return. Then people wonder why we are rank 31 out of 32 teams.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Jets not going to trade Maye away.   Keeping him until he becomes FA so Jets get better compensation.

I assume you mean a comp pick.  It may be risky passing on a 3rd or even a 4th via trade and hope we get a high comp pick.  But it is indeed an option.

2 minutes ago, xrade said:

The point is that if JD is absolutely not going to pay top $ and Maye won't budge from top $, then trading them is the best solution.  What we do with the pick is irrelevant to the point at hand. 

I like Maye and would like to keep him.  But is keeping a soon to be 29 y.o. S who has a history of missing games worth $15M / yr?  If this team was a bit closer to being even a credible team, then sure.  By the time we become good (if we become good), Maye will be on the downside and we will all be complaining about the ridiculous contract JD signed him to.

I hate creating holes and then have to fill them when we had a decent player in the spot in the first place.  Seems counterintuitive.  It is one of the reasons I'd like to see Moses back next year (assuming he plays well for the rest of the season).  Then maybe RT is less of a need.  Since we have so many needs, why create another.  It almost seems like I am arguing against myself here.  But if a Moses contract is reasonable, then resign him.  Maye is just looking for too much ATM.  Therein lies the difference.

What he's done with that additional 15mill each offseason he's been GM though does deserve criticism. This isn't a guy that knocks FA out of the park, to where we can trust he will get a good player or 2 with that money. I liked this last offseason our 1st few signings. But fact is Lawson is out for the year, Davis is out at least 1.3 of the year if not more and Davis had a great 1st game, but hasn't done much these last couple weeks. And that's been JDs best offseason. You look at our other FA periods he was part of... and they weren't good either. Seems to me like he's always just trying to accumulate picks. But you have to pay those picks when they are talented. What are we the TB Rays of the NFL? (wait nevermind... at least they win). But my point is we cant be a franchise that maybe drafts decent guys but never get great careers from them. We seem like a team now that even if we drafted Mahomes would have traded him bc a player isn't worth that cap room and tried drafting a QB to replace him.

We've literally over the course of like 2 decades have only had 2 players with long careers that were good with us in Mangold and Brick. Think about how awful that is. 2 players in around 20 drafts (so roughly 140 players). Good teams draft good players and keep them around. We don't draft good players. And even when we do (beyond rare for us)... we trade them when its time to pay them.

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What he's done with that additional 15mill each offseason he's been GM though does deserve criticism. This isn't a guy that knocks FA out of the park, to where we can trust he will get a good player or 2 with that money. I liked this last offseason our 1st few signings. But fact is Lawson is out for the year, Davis is out at least 1.3 of the year if not more and Davis had a great 1st game, but hasn't done much these last couple weeks. And that's been JDs best offseason. You look at our other FA periods he was part of... and they weren't good either. Seems to me like he's always just trying to accumulate picks. But you have to pay those picks when they are talented. What are we the TB Rays of the NFL? (wait nevermind... at least they win). But my point is we cant be a franchise that maybe drafts decent guys but never get great careers from them. We seem like a team now that even if we drafted Mahomes would have traded him bc a player isn't worth that cap room and tried drafting a QB to replace him.

We've literally over the course of like 2 decades have only had 2 players with long careers that were good with us in Mangold and Brick. Think about how awful that is. 2 players in around 20 drafts (so roughly 140 players). Good teams draft good players and keep them around. We don't draft good players. And even when we do (beyond rare for us)... we trade them when its time to pay them.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I assume you mean a comp pick.  It may be risky passing on a 3rd or even a 4th via trade and hope we get a high comp pick.  But it is indeed an option.

Unless there is an offer to match your suggestion, of course but why team has to pony over a high pick for a player that can't get new contract until after the season.   Seahawks were lucky to successfully sign Adams to new contract but not many GMs value S great deal.

I don't know if I am cool with a late round pick in upcoming draft and late mid round pick in next draft for him.

2 hours ago, xrade said:

I like Maye and would like to keep him.  But is keeping a soon to be 29 y.o. S who has a history of missing games worth $15M / yr?

History of missing games? Marcus Maye has played all but 1 defensive snap during the 2019, 2020 and 2021 seasons. Previously, He missed all his time (10 games) in 1 season due to a severe injury. He is a durable player.

I want to keep Marcus Maye. He is a very good player. But Maye is going to be 29 and wants to be paid as a top Safety.

If the Jets trade him now, they can secure a draft pick (3rd in 2022?). If the Jets let him walk this off-season, the Jets would be eligible to receive a comp pick (3rd in 2023). BUT the Jets have a ton of cap space and our signings would nullify any comp pick the Jets would receive. So in that scenario, no Maye and no draft pick.

Unfortunately, Jets management have mishandled the team these last 5 years that they still are not close to putting a competitive team around Marcus to fit his timeframe. Sadly, it does seem to make more sense to trade Maye for a draft pick now. The hot seat is here for Joe Douglas. I’m not happy, you’re not happy, no fan is happy. Joe better show us what he has. 

Edited by Jetfan66
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya. It’ll make it more interesting. But we’d have to score to win

True, but they are also one of the league's worst in yards allowed and PPG. So there is a chance for our offense and defense to look better. If we can't win this, we're definitely going 0-17. 

I definitely want to see the offense show improvements. The Titans defense is not playing as good as the 3 defenses we just played.

People really underestimate how good the Broncos and Panthers defenses have been. The Patriots are the Patriots, we shouldn't be surprised when our rookie QB struggles vs them. 

Next 2 weeks we need to see improvements. Titans defense isn't playing nearly as good as the other 3 we played. And the Falcons defense isn't good.  

If we don't get Crowder back this week, we might be hurting at WR unless Mims plays and breaks out. Cause Moore won't play. 

13 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

If Brown & Jones are going to be out, I'm interested. 

Somebody on this board mention the training this year and all these pulled or strain muscles he might have a point. MOST of the practices in training camp were no more than walk throughs.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Somebody on this board mention the training this year and all these pulled or strain muscles he might have a point. MOST of the practices in training camp were no more than walk throughs.

I mentioned how the the short preseason a lot of starters weren't playing in could lead to injuries. Athletes have to build their bodies up to full-time game shape. Can't go from practice to 100% games when your body is used to using preseason to get itself in game shape. It can be done, it's just really hard, especially for positions that rely on a lot of running and cuts. 

Edited by rickyt31
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I mentioned how the the short preseason a lot of starters weren't playing in could lead to injuries. Athletes have to build their bodies up to full-time game shape. Can't go from practice to 100% games when your body is used to using preseason to get itself in game shape. It can be done, it's just really hard, especially for positions that rely on a lot of running and cuts. 

OK Rick it was you who wrote the original post. there has to be something to all these pulled & strain muscles, never seen so many players go down with those muscles injuries. The problem with these injuries they can linger for months.

22 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

OK Rick it was you who wrote the original post. there has to be something to all these pulled & strain muscles, never seen so many players go down with those muscles injuries. The problem with these injuries they can linger for months.

I believe it was Jetsfan4life51.   He always talked about soft tissue, protein crap, exercise, and more crap.