2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

So can’t say he won’t mature…..

But Wilson for sure has the gunslinger mentality. If he doesn’t mature in the ways of like Rodgers, Wilson, Brady and such. We can expect good play from him. But he will turn the ball over. Like a Fabre type. Even a Mahomes type. So there’s greatness there. But the stat lines of him not throwing for double digit INTs every seems to be slim. 

So we just need to maybe get used to this. Different from the high school teams he played win college. Where his stats like if like 2 INTs all last year. He will probably throw an INT or 2 every week unless he calms that gunslinger mentality 

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So we just need to maybe get used to this. Different from the high school teams he played win college. Where his stats like if like 2 INTs all last year. He will probably throw an INT or 2 every week unless he calms that gunslinger mentality 

I think he will calm down. He may never lose that style of play, but as he matures and gets comfortable playing in the NFL, he may be able to distinguish between a high risk opportunity vs a safer low reward pass.  SB QB’s all tend to have a bit of gunslinger in them. Brady may be the exception.

Also, if we can ever establish a run game and have WR’s that don’t drop so many damned balls, Zach may not need to play hero ball.

It is going to be an interesting ride as a fan. 

So much for the value of Marcus Maye at the deadline. Facing DUI charges. Maybe played his last down as a Jet and so much for the hopes he could even fetch a 3 at the deadline. If he can play again this year, what does everyone think? Maybe a 4th...or 5th and conditional pick in the following year? Safety is definitely far from a primary position I would prioritize but I would definitely like to see more talent and depth there next year. Also would not mind Nas getting some reps there too. When Davis comes back, reps for Sherwood and Nas are going to disappear and neither has looked good at LB yet, I think Nas could still be a safety for depth if need be. 

6 hours ago, ekill08x said:

So much for the value of Marcus Maye at the deadline. Facing DUI charges. Maybe played his last down as a Jet and so much for the hopes he could even fetch a 3 at the deadline. If he can play again this year, what does everyone think? Maybe a 4th...or 5th and conditional pick in the following year? Safety is definitely far from a primary position I would prioritize but I would definitely like to see more talent and depth there next year. Also would not mind Nas getting some reps there too. When Davis comes back, reps for Sherwood and Nas are going to disappear and neither has looked good at LB yet, I think Nas could still be a safety for depth if need be. 

Does that mean we get Davin Cook, we took Maye, over Cook in the 2017 draft. I thought for sure we were going to draft Cook, especially since out first round pick was a safety also.

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

But Wilson for sure has the gunslinger mentality. If he doesn’t mature in the ways of like Rodgers, Wilson, Brady and such. We can expect good play from him. But he will turn the ball over. Like a Fabre type. Even a Mahomes type. So there’s greatness there. But the stat lines of him not throwing for double digit INTs every seems to be slim. 

I think we have to take the good with the bad, like I mention yesterday he will have his shares of INT. That is history of all great QB's with strong accurate arms. When he opened up in the second half he throw for 250yards in the second half alone. What we don't want is wild throws when he is under pressure they are horrible INT. Your comparison of him being like a Favre is 1000% correct. But his style sure beats the dink & dunk offensive when your score 13 points a game. Namath, Favre. Norm Van Brocklin, Sonny Jorgensen all put up huge numbers but had their share of INT's. and all won world championships. Whether he becomes one of the players I mention is another story for another day

Edited by doumeyer

9 hours ago, ekill08x said:

No you don't trade Maye. No one is going to give anything for him. He is hurt and a arrest charge has pretty much ended all trade talks. Keep him and get a 6th round comp pick for him. I personally would try to sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal after this. His value has dropped. I want players in here not more draft picks and cap space. Draft picks and cap space has done NOTHING for the Jets. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

No you don't trade Maye. No one is going to give anything for him. He is hurt and a arrest charge has pretty much ended all trade talks. Keep him and get a 6th round comp pick for him. I personally would try to sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal after this. His value has dropped. I want players in here not more draft picks and cap space. Draft picks and cap space has done NOTHING for the Jets. 

You are sure right about the draft picks, and the FA money we had to spend we have nothing to show for that this year, for one reason or another.

16 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think that Wilson is coachable. Him improvising and creating a 54 yard TD strike is why he was drafted 2nd overall, he has the ability to bring a team back with big time throws.  

What would help him is if we had legit TEs that could catch, this offense needs it and our TEs are garbage. A better OL.  A actual run game.  

8 hours ago, xrade said:

I saw Daniel Jeremiah’s top 25 rookies list. 3 Jets on the tail end. Wilson 22, Carter 2 24 and Carter 25. I think we had the most rooks on the list.

Its a shame that our OL isn't giving Carter more to work with. Watching him play, hes legit. He makes guys miss and breaks tackles, he has very strong thighs and has nice quickness to his cuts. Problem is our OL has been absolute garbage with run blocking, routinely getting blown up in the backfield. 

I am disappointed in Elijah Moore so far, I want to see him do more. He was so dominant in college last season and is super quick and competitive. I think he will be good, but I was hoping that we landed a dominant WR like an Antonio Brown.  Though he still has time to develop into that. 

Brandin Echols has started on the outside every game and hasn't been getting torched, he is looking like a solid 6th round pick. 

The one thing is the DBs haven't been making the INTs, we have yet to get one.  

9 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

The one thing is the DBs haven't been making the INTs, we have yet to get one.

The reason for that is the way they are being utilized.  They tend to play off coverage and behind the receiver so they don't get beat deep.  Saleh insisted upon a "no explosive play" philosophy for our pass D.  That will result in a lot of short completions and few ints.  The benefit is what we are actually seeing.  Our CB's don't give up the big play.  In the RZ, they are tough to pass against.  The ints will come once our DB's become more experienced and more comfortable enough to play more man.  Perhaps next year.