2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

Bill Belichick, in two years has rebuilt the Pats, he did not have the high draft picks or the FA money we had. The QB he picked in the draft is miles head of Zach Wilson. Here we are in the sixth full years of our rebuild and we still are a pathetic team. I am going to give him till the end of the year, if this Jets team don't improve by the end of the season I am OFFICALLY CALLING for Douglas head. It is too early to seabag the coaching staff. but they are on thin ice.

What makes this Jet mess so crazy is we drafted players who are playmakers but for some reason they can't get on the field. And why they are not playing is flat out stupid. like ( he has to learn all three WR position) or ( we didn't have enough offensive plays ). 

This is why it's hard for me to want JD out before the coaches but he did hire Saleh. 

I'm 60/40 on him. His drafts are solid and he got really good picks for Darnold and Adams. He is awful with vets/free agency and it killed us.

JFM is good but none of the pick ups look like a home run signing.  We watched the Cardinals pick up Hopkins & Green, Browns with OBJ & Landry, and others. The only teams who truly build through the draft are the Steelers and Packers, but those are franchises at one point relyed on deals for Favre and Bettis to help get their franchise back on track. 

JD need to make the right moves this off-season. I don't blame him for what happened to Lawson but he was never a 10+ sack guy, so I don't know if he would have been it.  We need a player we can build around on either side of the ball

On 10/16/2021 at 3:04 AM, KimuraGod said:

I couldn’t stand Adam Gase as much as the next person (unless that person was @KingOfNewYork) however one thing is for sure……with a talentless roster you could bet our first drive on offense we would look good. The plays he’d of drawn up worked. As the game went on the wheels fell off but that’s more than we are getting right now. 

If we come out sluggish against the Patriots then we know this offensive coaching team we have just can’t get it. God I wish we would of hired Brandon Staley. 

Brandon Staley was my guy. 

Gase wasn’t the problem but he also wasn’t the solution. 

This organization hates us.

10 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Bill Belichick, in two years has rebuilt the Pats, he did not have the high draft picks or the FA money we had. The QB he picked in the draft is miles head of Zach Wilson. Here we are in the sixth full years of our rebuild and we still are a pathetic team. I am going to give him till the end of the year, if this Jets team don't improve by the end of the season I am OFFICALLY CALLING for Douglas head. It is too early to seabag the coaching staff. but they are on thin ice.

What makes this Jet mess so crazy is we drafted players who are playmakers but for some reason they can't get on the field. And why they are not playing is flat out stupid. like ( he has to learn all three WR position) or ( we didn't have enough offensive plays ). 

No denying that Mac Jones looks better than Wilson right now, but I'm still of the opinion that Mac's a low-ceiling guy. Zach could be great. Mac could maybe Trent Dilfer you to a superbowl if you have a historically good defense and a 2000 yard rusher, but I just don't see him winning games himself. He seems more like a great backup than someone you want starting. The Patriots have some of the best coaching in the league, so he'll probably hit his ceiling, and we'll find out. I for one think we're in a pretty good spot in the division with him and Tua not really scaring anyone but potentially being good enough to hang around a while (Josh Allen obviously being great though). But of course, it all hinges on us somehow figuring out a way to develop a QB for the first time since a certain Mr Pennington lit it up way back when.

Your point about their much faster rebuild is definitely true and frustrating to see. We've been crap for a long time and really have no stars on the team. 2022 is going to be a huge draft for JD's future. Two first round picks, potentially both high picks. If we don't get some cornerstones, he's toast sooner rather than later. But we're a long way from there and there's still plenty of time for us to develop into a competent young team this season.

I mean, we probably won't. But we could.

5 minutes ago, TheChad said:

No denying that Mac Jones looks better than Wilson right now, but I'm still of the opinion that Mac's a low-ceiling guy. Zach could be great. Mac could maybe Trent Dilfer you to a superbowl if you have a historically good defense and a 2000 yard rusher, but I just don't see him winning games himself. He seems more like a great backup than someone you want starting. The Patriots have some of the best coaching in the league, so he'll probably hit his ceiling, and we'll find out. I for one think we're in a pretty good spot in the division with him and Tua not really scaring anyone but potentially being good enough to hang around a while (Josh Allen obviously being great though). But of course, it all hinges on us somehow figuring out a way to develop a QB for the first time since a certain Mr Pennington lit it up way back when.

Your point about their much faster rebuild is definitely true and frustrating to see. We've been crap for a long time and really have no stars on the team. 2022 is going to be a huge draft for JD's future. Two first round picks, potentially both high picks. If we don't get some cornerstones, he's toast sooner rather than later. But we're a long way from there and there's still plenty of time for us to develop into a competent young team this season.

We have a better roster actually than NE. They just have such a better staff and FO. And that's the difference.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We have a better roster actually than NE. They just have such a better staff and FO. And that's the difference.

I have to say, I'm utterly confused about the quality of our roster this year.

Part of me thinks that we're actually pretty solid:

• The OL is improved, though the run blocking is far from great
  • Davis, Crowder, Cole, Moore, Mims, Berrios sounds pretty good for WRs, even if no one is a big-time #1
  • I like Michael Carter and our two backup RBs are "fine". Somehow we've actually lost zero fumbles as a team
  • Pretty sure everyone can agree our TE situation is bad
  • DL of QW, JFM, and Fatukasi is strong
  • Mosley's a former all-pro. The rest of the LBs are nothing to write home about
  • CBs have been holding up better than expected
  • Safeties are no good without Maye

But then I wonder if this is all just familiarity bias. These are athletes in the NFL, nobody is terrible at football. Of course everyone will have some good plays here and there. But compared to the other 32 teams, how is our roster, really? Even ignoring the QB spot, we have no running game, drop a lot of passes, and struggle to get receivers open. On defense we give up a passer rating of 97.1 and have no INTs through 5 games. And we've hardly played a murderers' row of QBs so far.

It's really hard to see what's coaching and what's players that just aren't that great, or aren't consistently playing at the level they're capable of. Though it does seem like this is the most talent we've had since the Fitzmagic year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheChad said:

I have to say, I'm utterly confused about the quality of our roster this year.

Part of me thinks that we're actually pretty solid:

• The OL is improved, though the run blocking is far from great
  • Davis, Crowder, Cole, Moore, Mims, Berrios sounds pretty good for WRs, even if no one is a big-time #1
  • I like Michael Carter and our two backup RBs are "fine". Somehow we've actually lost zero fumbles as a team
  • Pretty sure everyone can agree our TE situation is bad
  • DL of QW, JFM, and Fatukasi is strong
  • Mosley's a former all-pro. The rest of the LBs are nothing to write home about
  • CBs have been holding up better than expected
  • Safeties are no good without Maye

But then I wonder if this is all just familiarity bias. These are athletes in the NFL, nobody is terrible at football. Of course everyone will have some good plays here and there. But compared to the other 32 teams, how is our roster, really? Even ignoring the QB spot, we have no running game, drop a lot of passes, and struggle to get receivers open. On defense we give up a passer rating of 97.1 and have no INTs through 5 games. And we've hardly played a murderers' row of QBs so far.

It's really hard to see what's coaching and what's players that just aren't that great, or aren't consistently playing at the level they're capable of. Though it does seem like this is the most talent we've had since the Fitzmagic year.

I mean offensively we're pretty much more talented than NE everywhere, besides TE and RB. And even RB could be debated.

The difference is culture and coaching. NE is arguably the best coached team in the NFL. We have what they have and we'd go 0-17. And yet they're competitive most weeks. And obviously the culture there is a 180 from the culture with us. They expect to win nearly every week. We get lucky once every couple months and win.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TheChad said:

I have to agree with you 

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I mean offensively we're pretty much more talented than NE everywhere, besides TE and RB. And even RB could be debated.

The difference is culture and coaching. NE is arguably the best coached team in the NFL. We have what they have and we'd go 0-17. And yet they're competitive most weeks. And obviously the culture there is a 180 from the culture with us. They expect to win nearly every week. We get lucky once every couple months and win.

That was the point of my post, Belichick, takes a bunch of no name players, and turn them into a very competitive team. The only other coach that could due what Belichick does was Vince Lombardi, the only difference between the two of them is Lombardi, would scream & yell at players. Belichick is doing the same thing with Mac Jones, as what Lombardi did with Bart Star. But the bottom line is Chad is right this whole Jet thing is just so frustrating.

We have some very good players on this roster. The problem is the coaching and not using the players the right way. The problem I have is Zach. It is either the coaches are trying to make some easy throws and he ignores them and goes deep or the coaches tell him to make those deep throws. Once you find this out you can start to work with it. Yes Mac Jones is going to be a Chad Pennington guy. Zach Wilson could be a Maholmes guy. I just think this team made a MASSIVE mistake by throwing this kid in their when you can see he is no way ready to play. Mac at least played against some good D and was going against Bama D ever day in practice. Wilson was going against local high school kids that could not make big D1 programs. 

6 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

We have some very good players on this roster. The problem is the coaching and not using the players the right way. The problem I have is Zach. It is either the coaches are trying to make some easy throws and he ignores them and goes deep or the coaches tell him to make those deep throws. Once you find this out you can start to work with it. Yes Mac Jones is going to be a Chad Pennington guy. Zach Wilson could be a Maholmes guy. I just think this team made a MASSIVE mistake by throwing this kid in their when you can see he is no way ready to play. Mac at least played against some good D and was going against Bama D ever day in practice. Wilson was going against local high school kids that could not make big D1 programs. 

Bingo, You hit the nail on the head

4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

“He’s not ready to play” 

Only way to get ready is to play. He’s a rookie, he’s gonna make mistakes. The problem is y’all set expectations way too high(like y’all do with everyone who comes here)

No the vast majority of these rookie QB's should NEVER see the field their first year. Your taking a KID moving them to a major city and giving them millions of dollars. Then you add the fact that they are now 24/7 football and workouts. Now you add a ply book that is twice the size of a college playbook and tell these guys you need to know ALL the plays. Then you have to take a lead roll and these guys that are sometimes 10 years older than you have to follow your lead. I have been and will be dead set on no rookie QB's should start out as opening day QB. This is why the product has been trash in the last few years. You have a huge gap between the have and have nots. This is just too much too fast too soon. 

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

NE's OL is better than ours.  Put Mac behind our OL (which has been playing better but not at a NE level, yet) and LePew's play calling and the team is 0-5.