Jump to content

2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk


Recommended Posts

We’ll have the resources to have a similar offseason next year as we did this year.

Im really excited to see how this year plays out in terms of player development.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, xrade said:

So that’s about $100M.  Figure $25M for 2021 and 2022 draft classes. Herndon, Fats,  JFM and Ty (whom I think will be deserving) may need resigning along with any UDFA’s we signed. I’m sure Maye is licking his lips at a big payday which we probably won’t give him. Then there’s Q.

I estimate that we should have about $40M-$50M for next years FA class.

Are you really still driving this train thinking Ty Johnson is going to be our starting RB and a good one at that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Are you really still driving this train thinking Ty Johnson is going to be our starting RB and a good one at that?

I figured I’d get a response from you about that. I don’t think there will be too many 20-touch RB’s in our team next year. It will be a RBBC. I think we all kind of believe that. I also think Coleman, Carter and Ty will emerge as 3 decent backs that will make the run game as a whole pretty decent.

Going into 2022, both Ty and Tevin will be FA. Ty will be 25 and Tevin 29. We won’t resign both and Ty by virtue of his age will he resigned so we have at least two of our three “starters” coming back. It won’t be for big bucks, but he will get a bump in annual salary. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, xrade said:

So that’s about $100M.  Figure $25M for 2021 and 2022 draft classes. Herndon, Fats,  JFM and Ty (whom I think will be deserving) may need resigning along with any UDFA’s we signed. I’m sure Maye is licking his lips at a big payday which we probably won’t give him. Then there’s Q.

I estimate that we should have about $40M-$50M for next years FA class.

And just like that Lewis gets reworked and $+7M is off the books in 2022. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xrade said:

I figured I’d get a response from you about that. I don’t think there will be too many 20-touch RB’s in our team next year. It will be a RBBC. I think we all kind of believe that. I also think Coleman, Carter and Ty will emerge as 3 decent backs that will make the run game as a whole pretty decent.

Going into 2022, both Ty and Tevin will be FA. Ty will be 25 and Tevin 29. We won’t resign both and Ty by virtue of his age will he resigned so we have at least two of our three “starters” coming back. It won’t be for big bucks, but he will get a bump in annual salary. 

Carter I think will be starting where we won’t be paying a RB really next offseason if you ask me. Wouldn’t surprise me if Carter is starting week 1. Obviously we won’t only use 1 RB... but as long as Carter can show his skill set and grasp the offense. I think he gets the bulk of the touches. Coleman in all honesty I’d rather just cut. And roll with Carter, Ty and Perine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Carter I think will be starting where we won’t be paying a RB really next offseason if you ask me. Wouldn’t surprise me if Carter is starting week 1. Obviously we won’t only use 1 RB... but as long as Carter can show his skill set and grasp the offense. I think he gets the bulk of the touches. Coleman in all honesty I’d rather just cut. And roll with Carter, Ty and Perine.

Coleman’s familiarity with the O and his pass catching are why he was brought in. Certainly they won’t cut him at least until we’ll after the season starts. But I also don’t think he will be here beyond this year.

As for Ty, if he plays as well as we have actually seen and not speculate on, then he should be given an extension in season or resigned in the off season. The Jets will want more than just Carter. Perine and that other recently signed dude are JAGs and may not even make it to the regular season. Perine is PS material. Adams is a goal line/short yardage back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, xrade said:

Coleman’s familiarity with the O and his pass catching are why he was brought in. Certainly they won’t cut him at least until we’ll after the season starts. But I also don’t think he will be here beyond this year.

As for Ty, if he plays as well as we have actually seen and not speculate on, then he should be given an extension in season or resigned in the off season. The Jets will want more than just Carter. Perine and that other recently signed dude are JAGs and may not even make it to the regular season. Perine is PS material. Adams is a goal line/short yardage back.

Coleman has like 500yfs in 2 years in that system. That’s Hardly counts as a great mentor for the system.

 

I also don’t think we need to assume LaFleur is 100% using SF system. He wasn’t an OC there. Now he’s the man and can call what he wants. What might be different than that if what SF did. Do I expect it be rather similar? Yes. But I’m sure he will do his thing on top of that system. He has his own philosophies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Coleman has like 500yfs in 2 years in that system. That’s Hardly counts as a great mentor for the system.

 

I also don’t think we need to assume LaFleur is 100% using SF system. He wasn’t an OC there. Now he’s the man and can call what he wants. What might be different than that if what SF did. Do I expect it be rather similar? Yes. But I’m sure he will do his thing on top of that system. He has his own philosophies.

Coleman has always been a rotational piece, in both Atlanta and SF under Shanahan. 

Atlanta 205 carries, 912 yards, 4.4 yards per carry

San Francisco 165 carries, 597 yards, 3.6 yards per carry(injuries slowed him down obviously)

LaFluer is using a variation of the system at worst. Saleh has confirmed that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr.O said:

I think Perine is the odd man out of the group tbh. Think we go Carter, Johnson, Coleman, Adams 

I can see that, but I am interested in seeing if Perine can show progress after having a real offseason and benefit in this better system. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dr.O said:

I think Perine is the odd man out of the group tbh. Think we go Carter, Johnson, Coleman, Adams 

Coleman was brought in by LaFluer/Saleh

Johnson was a pick up of Douglas

Adams was with Douglas in Philly

Carter and Perine were drafted by Douglas

Only locks IMO are Carter and Coleman. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also don’t think Perine makes the 53 man roster.

The 4th guy I think will be Austin Walter. One of the few guys we brought over from the 49ers. He fits our scheme but I think he makes it because he’ll win the kick return job. Vyncent Smith could win it but that would mean carrying 7 WRs. I can’t see Berrios losing the PR job.

Carter, Coleman, Johnson and Walter are my 4 guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just realizing how interesting the RB competition is. I forgot about Walter. 

My prediction is Carter will finish the season as the #1 RB. He is one of the best block readers I've seen in a long time. He'll just have to adapt to this offense. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I just don’t see the need for a washed up often injured Coleman if the other 3 guys can grasp the offense. 

Have you seen Coleman's receiving numbers? God tier. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...