2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

2 hours ago, ekill08x said:

There is no way we are taking a DB with our first round picks. It wouldn’t move the needle whatsoever. Pass rusher and OL. We don’t need high draft picks in the secondary to do what we ask them to do. Would be such a waste of premium picks. If the Indy game wasn’t a wake up game enough about how much we need to improve at the LOS I don’t know what is. 

Aside from Thibs and Neal, whom I love as prospects,  what OL or DL would you take top 5 that would not be there top 10?  Our poor S play is absolutely a need. Maybe not as high the other two position groups, but do we reach for need or BPA that also fills a need?

39 minutes ago, xrade said:

Aside from Thibs and Neal, whom I love as prospects,  what OL or DL would you take top 5 that would not be there top 10?  Our poor S play is absolutely a need. Maybe not as high the other two position groups, but do we reach for need or BPA that also fills a need?

Hutchinson and Tyler Linderbaum would both do more for this team than a corner or safety would. We don’t ask our DBs to do what Rex or Bowles used to. If this was a predominant man scheme than yes give me a corner with big upside. Cover 3…give me athletes and teach what you need. 

20 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

If this was a predominant man scheme than yes give me a corner with big upside

Agreed which is why I posted previously that I am down a bit on Stingley or any CB in round one. You mentioned athletes in the defensive backfield. Hamilton is certainly that. I know you mean later round draft picks that fit a certain athletic profile, but so far our pass D is not as good as people think especially at S. We have given up a few TD’s because if S play and it isn’t because they are rookies. Do you believe Davis will ever amount to much?  I don’t.  Even Maye is over rated.

If Saleh wants to mimic the Seattle D, he will need good S like former FRP Earl Thomas. While true that Cam was a fifth round pick, the chances of hitting on a big time S in round 5 is slim.

All this said, I am not opposed to Hutchinson, Linderbaum, Green or any other talented player that will help this team as our first pick. I just do not want to exclude any position as our first pick. Except maybe RB, QB and WR. And TE as there is not any TE worthy of a top 5 pick. 

1 minute ago, xrade said:

Agreed which is why I posted previously that I am down a bit on Stingley or any CB in round one. You mentioned athletes in the defensive backfield. Hamilton is certainly that. I know you mean later round draft picks that fit a certain athletic profile, but so far our pass D is not as good as people think especially at S. We have given up a few TD’s because if S play and it isn’t because they are rookies. Do you believe Davis will ever amount to much?  I don’t.  Even Maye is over rated.

If Saleh wants to mimic the Seattle D, he will need good S like former FRP Earl Thomas. While true that Cam was a fifth round pick, the chances of hitting on a big time S in round 5 is slim.

All this said, I am not opposed to Hutchinson, Linderbaum, Green or any other talented player that will help this team as our first pick. I just do not want to exclude any position as our first pick. Except maybe RB, QB and WR. And TE as there is not any TE worthy of a top 5 pick. 

Yeah the safety position has to be addressed at some point. Day 2 and in FA for sure. Davis isn’t a player. TE too. We have a ways to go and really need to start spending that cap space. I reallllly want to find a young stud MIKE LB too. Mosley’s contract is expensive. 

Just when you think you have this league figured out, you find out you no nothing. the Jags beat the Bills. Denver beats Dallas, real bad, Tenn. beats the Rams without Henry. The Cards beat the 49ers, with a backup QB Mcoy.who was 22 for26 for 250 yards. Just as a side note the Bills have major problems with their O line. And even Miami won with a backup QB.

21 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Few things. You’re talking about Fant like he hadn’t been good. Hate to break it to a lot of you… but he’s better than Becton (currently). Long term maybe no. But he’s been a very good LT for us this year. Moses has been a good RT as well. Benching Fant for Becton needs some deep thought for this team.

Fant has been good against the P.R., but he's terrible at opening up lanes. Thats why the Jets running game has been anemic. Becton will open running lanes with AVT at his side. McGovern while an "okaayyyy" C is no Nick Mangold, as for Rotten, I don't think I have to add anything more to his underwhelming play. As for Moses yes he is serviceable but know this, in the next 1-3 years you will not want to remember 3 of the cast members of this OL. Fant is on what could be the last year of his contract, same for McGovern and Morgan. VanRotten is about to be replaced by newly acquired OL. We just happen to disagree.

41 minutes ago, Big T said:

Fant has been good against the P.R., but he's terrible at opening up lanes. Thats why the Jets running game has been anemic. Becton will open running lanes with AVT at his side. McGovern while an "okaayyyy" C is no Nick Mangold, as for Rotten, I don't think I have to add anything more to his underwhelming play. As for Moses yes he is serviceable but know this, in the next 1-3 years you will not want to remember 3 of the cast members of this OL. Fant is on what could be the last year of his contract, same for McGovern and Morgan. VanRotten is about to be replaced by newly acquired OL. We just happen to disagree.

I agree mostly, my point is merely Fant hasn't been bad this year with Becton out. So yes Becton is our 1st rounder from last year and all. But I don't think it will be as simple as Becton is healthy and he just comes back and gets the LT spot. If I had to bet... we actually take our time bringing Becton back more so than we would normally. And that's bc Fant hasn't been bad. Becton I believe according to him should be ready to go this week or next week. But I think reports are already that we're waiting until for sure after Thanksgiving to even think about playing him. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah the safety position has to be addressed at some point. Day 2 and in FA for sure. Davis isn’t a player. TE too. We have a ways to go and really need to start spending that cap space. I reallllly want to find a young stud MIKE LB too. Mosley’s contract is expensive. 

I want them to draft a Mike Day 2 and take the same approach with S that they did with CB, except grab a vet in FA.

Would be ideal for DE and OL round 1 then LB round 2.  I'd love to roll with Ertz and Yeboah next season but would not be upset with drafting a good TE.  We really need one.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I want them to draft a Mike Day 2 and take the same approach with S that they did with CB, except grab a vet in FA.

Would be ideal for DE and OL round 1 then LB round 2.  I'd love to roll with Ertz and Yeboah next season but would not be upset with drafting a good TE.  We really need one.

It's a rather stacked LB group that fit our scheme in the 1st few rounds. Harris, Smith or To'o To'o would be great for us in Round 2

23 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It's a rather stacked LB group that fit our scheme in the 1st few rounds. Harris, Smith or To'o To'o would be great for us in Round 2

Chanel from Wisconsin in round 3. He is an OLB that gets to the QB. Too big for ILB, but we can use all the help we can get. 

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I believe so. And unless White has another 400yd day… I think Wilson starts after Buffalo.

Honestly if White even plays decent he should keep playing. If we go back to Wilson and he sucks against Miami then what? 

12 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Honestly if White even plays decent he should keep playing. If we go back to Wilson and he sucks against Miami then what? 

White should play until he craps the bed. This goes beyond just “developing “ Wilson. There are other players that need development as well which MFW may offer a better route to that development.

Another issue is the locker room. Players don’t want to suffer the indignity of losing just to develop one player. Saleh could quickly lose the locker room if he puts the needs of one player above the team.

Thirdly, perhaps Zach’s development is enhanced by being in the sideline. I am not a fan of starting rookie QB’s day one. Like all positions it should be earned. I certainly understand the recent notion of starting FRP’s, but at what cost? Usually it is to save job of a GM or coach. Neither case applies to the Jets.

I consider Zach the future starting QB of this team. When?  Who knows. But MFW is the QB of the present until he shows he can’t be. Anything else is not good for this team. Bobby and JD have to see this.