2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

33 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

We should not see Wilson until Mike White look terrible. 

100% 

Heck white and Johnson should both be ahead of him. Let the kid get fully healthy. Let Lafleur continue to dial in his play calling. Let the offensive line help. Let Wilson learn from the bench, then last two or three games out him back out there and progress.

• Like 1

2021 1st Round QBs :

G              TD             Int             Sacks                Rating

Mac Jones            9             10                7                17                      89.8
T. Lawrence          8               8                9                13                     73.6

J. Field                   8               3               7                 26                    65.7

Zach Wilson          6               4                9                 19                      63.5

In 2020 the league avg. QB rating was 93.6

Zach Wilson has worst statistics, but :

- Justin Wilson is essentially tied.

- T. Lawrence stats are well below league average and he was a "generational QB"

- Mac Jones still has a rating below the league average.  He also has a "multi-generational coach" -

one of the best in history.  He also has a very good run outlet.

Conclusion : Other than Mac Jones, the other 3 QBs could have benefited from more time on the bench

with veteran QB on roster.    Other than Mac Jones (who is still below league average), the other 3 are well below average.  I think the best thing for Jets is to site Zach Wilson for rest of year - even in trash time let him sit.  His confidence is already broken.  This off-season build the infrastructure thru draft & FA.  Plan on giving him limited time next year.  Build infrastructure in 2023 off-season.  By that time much stronger surrounding team, and give Zach starting QB position in 2024, but he will be on probation.  The team should be much stronger, he will have time to watch and learn without stresses of failure hurting his confidence. 

Does anyone have Joe Douglass's phone number.  I am willing to share my blueprint for success.

The positive for us is, after this week we have 6 games that we actually have a chance in each of. We play MIA twice, HOU, JAX, PHI and NO over that time before playing TB and BUF to finish the season. Those 6 games are where we have the opportunity to show life and progression to give us hope for this young team going forward. It’s on the staff and players to take advantage of that opportunity.

• Like 2

I read an article that stated Mike L. did not change anything to the O. They made some good points that Mike White gets the ball out faster so they can use less TE's and more 3 and 4 WR set. That in return opened up the run game. I think Mike White fits this system perfect. I don't think this is a Zach Wilson system. Now you have to figure out who is more important. Do you stay with Mike L and the system or do you go to Zach Wilson and try to find a system that fits him. I don't think Zach and Mike L. will ever be on the same page. 

27 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I read an article that stated Mike L. did not change anything to the O. They made some good points that Mike White gets the ball out faster so they can use less TE's and more 3 and 4 WR set. That in return opened up the run game. I think Mike White fits this system perfect. I don't think this is a Zach Wilson system. Now you have to figure out who is more important. Do you stay with Mike L and the system or do you go to Zach Wilson and try to find a system that fits him. I don't think Zach and Mike L. will ever be on the same page. 

If that's the case then they should have traded back and targeted Mac Jones.  You have to know who is going to fit your system, or adjust the system to the player.  I think if Zach can get more accurate on the short ball or learn to read faster then he will be fine.  He looked great in the preseason when things were simple.

And that's also BS that he hasn't changed anything.  Play calling has noticeably improved.  No more running into a wall two straight plays.  The combo of ZWs style and MLs play calling has lead to hero ball.  And unfortunately he's looked like Mahomes this year as opposed to Mahomes from his first three seasons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If that's the case then they should have traded back and targeted Mac Jones.  You have to know who is going to fit your system, or adjust the system to the player.  I think if Zach can get more accurate on the short ball or learn to read faster then he will be fine.  He looked great in the preseason when things were simple.

And that's also BS that he hasn't changed anything.  Play calling has noticeably improved.  No more running into a wall two straight plays.  The combo of ZWs style and MLs play calling has lead to hero ball.  And unfortunately he's looked like Mahomes this year as opposed to Mahomes from his first three seasons.

SportsEdge (old rotoworld) also reported that Zach Wilson and Mike White are good friends but if Mike White does well during the Bills game Zach could be on the bench for awhile. I think we all knew this anyways. I think when Zach gets another chance at the starting QB job there will be a lot of pressure on him to do well. This will really make or brake Zach. If Zach comes out on fire we will make everyone happy. If he lays another egg it could get ugly very fast from fans, players, coaches, media. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I mentioned this a while ago.  Why draft a down field passer with a gunslinger mentality if all you want is a DnD QB ala Alex Smith or McCorkle Jones.  I guess they wanted that long ball ability and teach him to play small?  IMO it was stupid and its possible that a talented college QB will whither and die on the Jets vine.  Again.

I call BS on that article. LaFleur most certainly changed thing up.  For 6 weeks the opening drive was run-run-pass on third and long.  Now its pass-pass-run on third and short.  The father of the WCO, Bill Walsh, always passed on the first play of the game whether it was Montana or Young at QB.  He felt it calmed the QB to get that first completion out of the way using a short quick pass play.  And yes, MFW, is playing within the system and has done well for 5 quarters.  Even Zach stated that he needs to learn from Mike and learn to play that way.  Imagine Zach being able to play the DnD game, then launch a few to really make this O dynamic.  I hope for all our sakes, it works out that way.

8 minutes ago, xrade said:

I mentioned this a while ago.  Why draft a down field passer with a gunslinger mentality if all you want is a DnD QB ala Alex Smith or McCorkle Jones.  I guess they wanted that long ball ability and teach him to play small?  IMO it was stupid and its possible that a talented college QB will whither and die on the Jets vine.  Again.

I call BS on that article. LaFleur most certainly changed thing up.  For 6 weeks the opening drive was run-run-pass on third and long.  Now its pass-pass-run on third and short.  The father of the WCO, Bill Walsh, always passed on the first play of the game whether it was Montana or Young at QB.  He felt it calmed the QB to get that first completion out of the way using a short quick pass play.  And yes, MFW, is playing within the system and has done well for 5 quarters.  Even Zach stated that he needs to learn from Mike and learn to play that way.  Imagine Zach being able to play the DnD game, then launch a few to really make this O dynamic.  I hope for all our sakes, it works out that way.

I think it’s a middle ground. So we should be running a easy system for Wilson. Not Bc he can’t sling it, Bc we know he can. But to build up his confidence and have the game slow down for him as a rookie. I find it hard to believe that through the 6 games he started that he was never told to stop playing hero ball. And take the easy passes and let your playmakers do the work. There’s no way they said sling it around like you’re at a HS 7 on 7 tournament like he did. So that’s on him. Maybe the staff didn’t do there job by “making him” do that. I don’t know. But there’s a for sure difference between the overall offense when white it even Johnson are in than Wilson. And it is hard to believe that the whole game plan changes based on who’s at QB. Wilson’s a rookie so he needs some slack, but hopefully these few weeks watching White and Johnson make the smart plays shows him what to take from defenses. 

39 minutes ago, xrade said:

Here is an article with data showing that he did make three changes. He certainly did not scrap his entire scheme, but there are some noticeable differences.

https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/11/11/important-changes-mike-lafleur/

Sure White has executed better on screens but still between those 3 things and run vs pass selection, I think White is also in a better situation.

Too many two TE sets for Zach.  He locked on CD and so did the defense.